• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You're right, it didn't upload properly.

I'm still not seeing any issue with depositing or withdrawing the coin case. I'm walking into the vermilion pokemon center and everything is behaving fine. This is using a freshly dumped red rom with the patch applied.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just making a quick post about some updates I'm working on over the next month.

—The amazing man glitch is fixed. I need to port the changes to the lite branch.

—Red/Green/Blue versions were originally supposed to have an quick intermediate frame when turning 180 degrees from a standstill. The code is there but doesn't display anything, and it was cut from from all future games. This is getting fixed and activated for the master and lite branch.

—The AI for switching is admittedly not super robust. It switches defensively to the next mon in the roster and is blind to the mon it switches to. I'm going to revisit the switching AI and, at the very least, try to prevent it from doing blatantly stupid switch-ins. The master and lite branches will get this one.

—SGB colors on the GBC. This one is being a pain in my rear. Lots of studying going into this one, so I've split it into its own branch for experimentation. This is a long-term feature that may or may not go anywhere. If I ever get it to work I'll document the code changes and write up a guide for implementation.

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
    I'm still not seeing any issue with depositing or withdrawing the coin case. I'm walking into the vermilion pokemon center and everything is behaving fine. This is using a freshly dumped red rom with the patch applied.

I realize now that it's only happening on the emulator I'm using. Masterboy on Psp, which has never given me problems with this hack before now. Not a huge deal. Thanks for checking it out! I'm excited for the future releases :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I realize now that it's only happening on the emulator I'm using. Masterboy on Psp, which has never given me problems with this hack before now. Not a huge deal. Thanks for checking it out! I'm excited for the future releases :)

Ah, okay. Yeah, not all emulators are created equal. I use BGB on my laptop since its closest to the real hardware and gives nice debug tools. Then I do playtesting on my old Super Gameboy and sometimes my Gameboy Pocket.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Hey Jojo, I have found a bug which doesn't seem to be game-breaking linked with depositing items in the PC on some real hardware. If I deposit the item on the first or last line of the selection box everything is a-ok but if I scroll down and deposit any item on the middle two lines I get a different items name as having been deposited (seems totally random and names items I'm not even carrying/even own or badges or doesn't happen at all) but does actually deposit the correct item when checked inside the computer afterwards. I think I've done this in about every pokemart with the same glitch. I'm playing a fresh red rom with the latest patch on a ez-flash jr card on a Game Boy DMG-01. I could not replicate this bug on BGB or VisualBoyAdvance, a Game Boy Color or a Game Boy Advance AGB-001 (that's all the hardware I have to test with)

I have a photo of the screen showing the glitch and can upload the save file if needed but I don't seem to have permission to post attachments...?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    given it seems somewhat intermittent and I only extensively play on the DMG-01 normally its entirely possible the other things I tried could produce the bug just I didn't try for long enough? I don't want to inadvertently lead you down a dead end of just looking at one circumstance I just wanted it to be known my testing so far on other hardware/emulators is brief at best

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    given it seems somewhat intermittent and I only extensively play on the DMG-01 normally its entirely possible the other things I tried could produce the bug just I didn't try for long enough? I don't want to inadvertently lead you down a dead end of just looking at one circumstance I just wanted it to be known my testing so far on other hardware/emulators is brief at best

I've seen this. It has to do with how TM names are now more descriptive. Under the hood, TM names are handled by a list whereas before they were just generated on the fly by a function.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of your save file working through data cleanup. My expectation is it will work itself out as items get deposited and taken out.

You can always attach your save file or post a download link at the GitHub page. Just open up a new issue and I can queue it up for investigation.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey Jojo, I have found a bug which doesn't seem to be game-breaking linked with depositing items in the PC on some real hardware. If I deposit the item on the first or last line of the selection box everything is a-ok but if I scroll down and deposit any item on the middle two lines I get a different items name as having been deposited (seems totally random and names items I'm not even carrying/even own or badges or doesn't happen at all) but does actually deposit the correct item when checked inside the computer afterwards. I think I've done this in about every pokemart with the same glitch. I'm playing a fresh red rom with the latest patch on a ez-flash jr card on a Game Boy DMG-01. I could not replicate this bug on BGB or VisualBoyAdvance, a Game Boy Color or a Game Boy Advance AGB-001 (that's all the hardware I have to test with)

I have a photo of the screen showing the glitch and can upload the save file if needed but I don't seem to have permission to post attachments...?

Hey Jojobear13! I'm loving shin Pokemon red and have been playing it for quite some time. I booted it up today and experienced a strange bug. I went to my personal pc to deposit some items, when I tried to deposit the coin case the game crashed. I rebooted, went to the PC again and it crashed a second time. I'm playing on "shin_pokemon_red_v113_hotfix3.ips". If you need any more info or a save file then let me know. Cheers :)

I believe I have found a common root cause for these issues and have fixed it. Machines, in order to give them unique list-based names, were given their own list-type constant (the unused value of 3). All other items use list-type 4. This can cause problems when a mix of machines and other items are displayed in the same menu. If a machine is the bottom-most item displayed, then the value in wNameListType gets changed to 3. If it's a regular item, then gets changed to 4. Normally this would always be 4 in an item menu, so Gamefreak devs made it so wNameListType only gets updated when the menu gets redrawn by scrolling up or down.

The problem is that you can select the top three displayed items without scrolling the menu and getting it to redraw. wNameListType doesn't get updated. Selecting a regular item when a machine is at the bottom, or selecting a machine while a regular item is at the bottom, will load the wrong list constant for the item and cause the game to load name data from the wrong location. This can result in loading a name from a different item or (assuming you don't load a value of $50 within 10 loops) loading a huge string of garbage data that crashes the game.

I have pushed a commit to v1.14b to correct this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Hey Jojo, I had spotted JOBO's post and did wonder if we came across the same issue glad you pinned it down sounds like it can only help with the overall stability.

I've found a bug (that could be related?) it's a different use case as I just got an EZ Flash Omega for DS Lite gaming so it could be that flash hardware or Goomba (shudders) but if I go to the Mart on Cinnabar and try to buy a Max Elixer 9 times out of 10 I get a corruption and the game freezes, when the selection loads instead of saying "x01 $5500" it just displays "x01" then crashes/sometimes lets me back out but mostly crashes.

I also noticed an oddity when grinding Blaine when his battle completes instead of the celebratory jingle on receiving the badge again, a wrong sound is played, it sounds like menu closing. the main music continues to play as normal, its barely noticeable on a single pass likely wouldn't even realise but repeatedly its jarring enough to stick out thought I'd mention it

I'm now past the E4 and in to the post-game material you have added in, your rom is wonderfully fun to play and you deserve an amazing amount of credit for your insanely hard work getting all of these amazing features added in to the game they add a wonderful level of depth, I look forward to hopefully many more hours of grinding to get a full Pokedex, exploring all the little extras you have added in and also to see the ongoing development of this rom :D might even get brave enough to try out hard mode again one day! good job making something that was already re-playable even more so!

Thanks for the credit, not necessary but I'm very grateful none-the-less :D

Zycain

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've found a bug (that could be related?) it's a different use case as I just got an EZ Flash Omega for DS Lite gaming so it could be that flash hardware or Goomba (shudders) but if I go to the Mart on Cinnabar and try to buy a Max Elixer 9 times out of 10 I get a corruption and the game freezes, when the selection loads instead of saying "x01 $5500" it just displays "x01" then crashes/sometimes lets me back out but mostly crashes.

Right, it is the same as I mentioned before. TM03 is right below the max elixir, so scrolling down to select the max elixir makes TM03 the bottom item and triggers the glitch. I've since fixed the problem.

I also noticed an oddity when grinding Blaine when his battle completes instead of the celebratory jingle on receiving the badge again, a wrong sound is played

This is a bug in the original games. You can also hear it with a few other gym leaders (Misty I think). Still looking into it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've put out new patches for both the lite and master branches that are consistent with the current 1.14 beta changelog. There's a lot of stuff in there. Now onto making the switching AI a little smarter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Hey found another little bug upon battling the Silph Co chief post E4 the dialog text upon talking to him reads "Do you challenge him to to a pokemon battle?" this is using the current 114b1 :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey found another little bug upon battling the Silph Co chief post E4 the dialog text upon talking to him reads "Do you challenge him to to a pokemon battle?" this is using the current 114b1 :)

Yes, that is intentional. The post-e4 special trainers have an intended order as hinted by dialogue, but I do not force that order on the player. I did this because I miss the days when games had secrets that, while hinted at, could be discovered by sheer accident.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    An expansion to the switching AI has been committed to both the lite and master branches. Will consolidate it into IPS patches after a period of playtesting.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    This is a pretty great hack and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for in a Gen 1 QOL hack. A few nitpicks though:

Press SELECT to use HMs based on proper context (must have the right badge and the move on one of your pkmn)

Out of curiosity, why Select? Why not the A button like in every other Pokemon game? Certainly not a dealbreaker but I find this a bit unintuitive.

TrainerAI, Shiny SGB palette, & Exp Bar

I think the EXP bar looks a little "off" with the Gen 1 style battle interface. However, I think if you moved the bar itself up by one pixel so the bottom is flush with the arrow graphic it would look a lot better.

Does this hack also have the Pokeball "caught" tile? I find that to be a useful piece of information when facing off with wild Pokemon. I wouldn't mind seeing gender either, since it's relevant when trading with Gen 2 or importing into Pokemon Bank and afaik is just determined by DVs in Gen 2.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Out of curiosity, why Select? Why not the A button like in every other Pokemon game? Certainly not a dealbreaker but I find this a bit unintuitive.

The reason is that it was easy to do in a weekend or two. The engine itself is surprisingly rigid. The A button is coded for confirmation and text in such a way that tile checking functions would need to be added to overworld.asm, but it's very difficult to free up the needed space in rom bank 0. Select is an unused button, so it's easy to check for it then jump to another rom bank to do all the custom functions.

I think the EXP bar looks a little "off" with the Gen 1 style battle interface. However, I think if you moved the bar itself up by one pixel so the bottom is flush with the arrow graphic it would look a lot better.

There's only two pixels of height to work with on the exp bar. The black line was originally flush but the exp bar was too tiny. I'll play around and see what I can do

Does this hack also have the Pokeball "caught" tile? I find that to be a useful piece of information when facing off with wild Pokemon. I wouldn't mind seeing gender either, since it's relevant when trading with Gen 2 or importing into Pokemon Bank and afaik is just determined by DVs in Gen 2.

Hitting select in battle will play the opposing mon's cry if you've caught it. I've not done the pokeball marker or even thought about adding gender as I'm not too familiar with adjusting how tiles are rendered.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Thanks for the response. I'm sorry if I came across as overly critical. To tell you the truth I have next to no knowledge when it comes to asm hacking so what you've done is far more than I could ever do.

The only reason I asked about the A-button HM use is because it's already been implemented into other hacks. Specifically Rangi's Space World Edition, as have genders and shinies in a pretty elegant and unobtrusive way. I know it's not a simple as "plugging it in" to your hack though.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for the response. I'm sorry if I came across as overly critical. To tell you the truth I have next to no knowledge when it comes to asm hacking so what you've done is far more than I could ever do.

You didn't. I have thick skin anyway.

The only reason I asked about the A-button HM use is because it's already been implemented into other hacks. Specifically Rangi's Space World Edition, as have genders and shinies in a pretty elegant and unobtrusive way. I know it's not a simple as "plugging it in" to your hack though.

Rangi has been doing this a lot longer than I have. Those projects all have years worth of features built upon features. Backs of giants and all. Anyway, folks like rangi and mateo and Danny-E are at the point where big chunks of the engine have been re-written. Meanwhile I'm still struggling to get palettes working on the gameboy color.

But hey, this is just something I picked up as a learning exercise.

Back