• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen today
    You're welcome.

I plan on continuing to support Shin Pokemon as problems are discovered. But updates are going to be less frequent unless there's some show-stopper bug that's found. Queuing up little things in the issue log over a few months then knocking them all out at once is easier to manage.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    i can't go viridian forest => pewter city
    in shin green 1.22M version

just loof route 2 gate = viridian forest exit

Years
    • Seen today

Oh fun. It seems that treating the forest tileset as an outside area breaks certain warps. Give me a sec.

Years
    • Seen today

New fixed patches have been re-uploaded for both master and lite branches.

EDIT: I switched the forest tileset back to an inside area until I can find out why this breaks certain warp tiles.

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Hello,

How to add ''tm names'' into marts in LITE version?
    like, TM X - ICE BEAM

is it too hard?

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • Hey Jojobear

I noticed a small graphical glitch. I rematched the first bug catcher in viridian forest, on his second pokemon (caterpie) I used flamethrower and half of the attack changed to the colour green. I tried this on wild caterpie and it didn't happen.

Attachments

• Pokemon - Shin Red v1.22.sav
      32 KB · Views: 3
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hey Jojobear

I noticed a small graphical glitch. I rematched the first bug catcher in viridian forest, on his second pokemon (caterpie) I used flamethrower and half of the attack changed to the colour green. I tried this on wild caterpie and it didn't happen.

Once again, I added a fix and re-uploaded the patches.

Looks like I neglected to clear out and reset the OBP0 palette settings when the attack colors are set. It gets overwritten when trainers send out a new pokemon, and this causes the wrong colors to display for the attack objects.

Also I did a workaround for Fly and Teleport in the forest tileset. So that's back in. The forest tileset is still considered indoors, but Fly and Teleport now have a hard-coded exception. Fingers crossed this didn't break anything else.

This is why professional game developers spend money on hiring a QA team.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    No more green flamethrower? 😭

Love this hack. Just updated a couple days ago and was able to carry over my save from 1.19. I'm thoroughly enjoying challenging the trainers with different 'mons each battle.

Kudos!

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello,

How to add ''tm names'' into marts in LITE version?
    like, TM X - ICE BEAM

is it too hard?

It's not straightforward. Lots of little things need to be added, changed, and deleted. Look at home.asm. You have to check out all my changes to GetItemName:: along with all the stuff I commented out, also GetName::, then hijack an unused spot in NamePointers::, then defining your tmhmNames list.

You should probably ask eshasunrise who recently got this working in Retyped Red.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Weird visual bug with obtaining any TM that starts with 0. (Ex: TM 06) In both cases I've experienced, since the new update, it displays them in a glitch name.

Also, upon receiving HM04, it said I got "Gary" instead. Name looks fine in bag though.

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      pokered_1636214252248.png
      1.6 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Weird visual bug with obtaining any TM that starts with 0. (Ex: TM 06) In both cases I've experienced, since the new update, it displays them in a glitch name.

Also, upon receiving HM04, it said I got "Gary" instead. Name looks fine in bag though.
    I know what's wrong. I have a thing I have to do right now, but I'll fix it tonight.

Years
    • Seen today

I re-uploaded patches that fix the TM/HM names in text boxes.

The ListName address needed to be set to ITEM_LIST when using GetItemName on machines in order to work with an extra check I added to GetName.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I re-uploaded patches that fix the TM/HM names in text boxes.

The ListName address needed to be set to ITEM_LIST when using GetItemName on machines in order to work with an extra check I added to GetName.

Awesome. I need to update because there was a gamebreaking bug with picking up Thunder TM. The music slowly faded out of the Power Plant's music and started playing a weird music. The item ball never disappeared and would appear over the start menu if you opened it. It wasn't frozen, but my character was. (Thank God for your softlock warp. It went back to normal)

Also, I don't remember for sure, but didn't one of the updates address the critical hit nerf when you raise offensive stats? Asking because the crit rate would destroy me sometimes when in battle after I used Amnesia at least twice.

Also, is there anything that can be done in Red's code (not for this hack) to address the game always soft resetting once going out of bounds? Like, would the game still glitch up? Was curious what would've happened.

Years
    • Seen today
    Awesome. I need to update because there was a gamebreaking bug with picking up Thunder TM. The music slowly faded out of the Power Plant's music and started playing a weird music. The item ball never disappeared and would appear over the start menu if you opened it. It wasn't frozen, but my character was. (Thank God for your softlock warp. It went back to normal)

Also, I don't remember for sure, but didn't one of the updates address the critical hit nerf when you raise offensive stats? Asking because the crit rate would destroy me sometimes when in battle after I used Amnesia at least twice.

Also, is there anything that can be done in Red's code (not for this hack) to address the game always soft resetting once going out of bounds? Like, would the game still glitch up? Was curious what would've happened.

It's 1.22 where I address the crit-hit nerf. The first thing I did was change the damage factor equation from [2(2*level)/5] + 2 to instead be [2*(2level)/5] + 4. This is causes a very small change in damage output, but it has the advantage of greatly simplifying the algebra involved. In particular, it allows me to do a simple value comparison to predict ahead of time the greater of the two: regular damage or critical damage. How it works now is that critical hits, rather than always using the critical damage over regular damage, will instead run the comparison and use the greater damage of the two. The result is that critical hits mathematically don't do anything when boosted past a certain point (otherwise it would be overkill).

The act of going out of bounds results in loading garbage data into the map functions. Like how missingno's appearance is the result of feeding garbage data into the battle sprite renderer. You aren't soft resetting so much as you are jumping to a random address and crashing the game.

Years
    • Seen today
    My bad, that's what I meant :)

Right.

So I made a few adjustments to 'mons that learn explosion moves to try to play nicer with the ai. The issue is that the gen-1 move learning function can't pick up multiple moves learned at the same level.

So I have to do something about that.

Years
    • Seen today
    Some other notes I had while playing:
    - The sunbathing blocker Pokemon at Vermillion should probably say something like "It's staring curiously at the S.S Anne" to make it obvious that's the leave condition. When I saw it for the first time it really confused me.
    - I think the Eevee lines are better off using their RB movesets instead of yellow's. Yellow was balanced around the rival's Eevee, so it learns important moves before level 25, making them impossible to get in vanilla. The most egregious example is Jolteon, who because of this can never learn Thundershock.
    - The spaceworld back sprites are placed too far up for some pokemon. Nidoking for example looks awkwardly cut off.

Back