• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I did notice in the latest release there was an ability to switch item bags so that more items can be carried
    though I wonder if there's a way to increase space on the pc item storage system to more than 50

I kinda ask cuz I have to sell or throw away some of my unused TMs since I can't carry all 50 of them or store all 50 TMs in the item pc storage

I could theoretically add another PC box. It would require 102 contiguous bytes of WRAM space that is both within the address range that gets saved and is also not used for anything at all. Easier said than done. The extra bag space was only attainable because I chopped off most of the space for unused events.

Found another glitch with the sleep clause. If you sleep and then KO an opponent's Pokemon, the next one he sends out will be sleep immune. This is on the latest master dev ips patch.

Save state: https://www.mediafire.com/file/a9n0cftgozygq2x/shin_pokemon_blue_v1.23.sn1/file

Interesting. Turns out that when a pokemon is KO'd its status byte never actually clears. I made it so the sleep/freeze clause handler checks for and discounts pokemon that have zero HP, and then I updated the dev patches.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    In your latest revision in the dev branch, you say that the Pokémon Tower rival battle disables the Cerulean City battle, but I don't understand the logic behind it since that Cerulean battle has to happen before you reach Lavender Town.

Am I missing something?

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    In your latest revision in the dev branch, you say that the Pokémon Tower rival battle disables the Cerulean City battle, but I don't understand the logic behind it since that Cerulean battle has to happen before you reach Lavender Town.

Am I missing something?

See Pikasprey's new video. I knew you could trade over a pokemon with Cut and beat Misty to skip the SS Anne, but I didn't realize that this also allowed the player to exit Cerulean to the east before having to do Nugget Bridge. The Nugget Bridge-->Bill's Cottage-->SS Anne sequence of events is completely optional in the vanilla game and the Lite branch.

The master branch has the pokemon NPC blocking Surge's gym that forces the player to do the whole sequence to get the thunder badge. This is to make sure the SS Anne leaves before the Elite-4 in order to avoid a plot hole with it returning in the post-game. But at least in this scenario it is a self-contained quest that can be done at any point after arriving in Cerulean City.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxNzPeLlPTU

A vanilla glitch in damage calculation means attacks that are too weak and are x4 resisted will result in 0 damage (displayed as a miss). Most notably this means that Weedle/Kakuna cannot poison Brock's Pokemon. And here I thought I could cheese him using poison + item clause (Brock has a billion Full Heals because GF hates strategy).

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxNzPeLlPTU

A vanilla glitch in damage calculation means attacks that are too weak and are x4 resisted will result in 0 damage (displayed as a miss). Most notably this means that Weedle/Kakuna cannot poison Brock's Pokemon. And here I thought I could cheese him using poison + item clause (Brock has a billion Full Heals because GF hates strategy).

This isn't actually a bug or a glitch. Looking at the battle engine code, it was an intentional decision that any damage calculation that gets reduced to 0 will set the wMoveMissed byte. The reason is because this byte is used for all of the different scenarios where a move fails to work and not just on a straight miss. In particular, it is also used to signify that a defender is immune. The function PrintMoveFailureText handles the specifics of what text gets printed when this byte is set, but it does default to printing the "[USER]'s attack missed!" text in all but 2 cases; immune defenders and missed OHKO moves have their own text.

The programmer decided that it would save space and streamline things to treat all calculated damage results of 0 as if the defending pokemon was immune. PrintMoveFailureText then prints the "It doesn't affect" text if the damage multiplier from the type chart was 0. This was the right decision to make from a development perspective. Not only does it rectify the battle state for this early-game edge case into a stable and predictable endpoint, but it does it for no cost in extra bytes. Furthermore, leaving the damage at 0 can invite divide-by-zero scenarios which get the game stuck in an infinite loop.

So yeah, it's just one of those Gen 1 mechanics that went away with Gen 2 (like speed crits and whatnot). If anything, it's a text error that gives obtuse and inaccurate feedback. I'll make it so a 0 damage result like this prints "<TARGET>'s unaffected!" which is normally only displayed when a OHKO move fails.

Years
  • is there any way to add "item descriptions" when choosing items from the bag?

this new version of Pokemon Grape came out a few days ago which have added that feature when selecting items from the bag

Item descriptions pop up once you have selected an Item.

I really didn't expect a new version of his game to come out but it was more than just a new bug fixed version

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Would it be possible to add the "Presents" underneath the gamefreak logo in the intro after the stars. And add the original borders surrounding the town map. This would make the jp shin versions more accurate to the real japanese releases.

PKMN_RG_J_Game_Freak_Presents.png

PKMN_RG_J_World_Map.png

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Would it be possible to add the "Presents" underneath the gamefreak logo in the intro after the stars. And add the original borders surrounding the town map. This would make the jp shin versions more accurate to the real japanese releases.

PKMN_RG_J_Game_Freak_Presents.png

PKMN_RG_J_World_Map.png

I've been meaning to look into how the spacing will work out. Probably doable. What I can't do is a top region map border as that will cut off the text.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah got it, but i think rangi made the text work for red star and blue star i think. The map border thing. So you might wanna look into that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is something minor that i've noticed about Red's sprite in the title screen in shin red/green. The upper part of his lower glove next to bulbasaur seems to be cut off a little bit.

green-title.bmp

And here is the sprite of red in the offical red and green title screen to compare with.

1996_-_Pocket_Monsters_Red.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    This is something minor that i've noticed about Red's sprite in the title screen in shin red/green. The upper part of his lower glove next to bulbasaur seems to be cut off a little bit.

Done. It's just a stray two pixels.

I've added the "Presents" graphic, the correct copyright graphics, and the jp-style town map in my local repository. I'll upload them later to the dev branches for eventual merge.

As a bonus, I've also reverse-engineered the shooting-star sound effect that plays in japanese red/green.

Years
  • Hello! I've started playing the lite version of Shin Pokémon, I've just reached Cerulean. While I haven't experienced most of the differences and fixes added to the games, I wanted to give my opinion regarding the early game trainers (Specifically those with access to sand attack), AI trainers switching Pokémon, and status moves in general. I apologize if this has previously been addressed in the thread.

As I understood, the lite branch kinda follows GF's original intent with several of its fixes. Therefore I don't think that the 25% chance of AI Pokémon missing status moves should be removed, as it seems intentional and not a glitch. Several RPGs give certain advantages to the player that CPU enemies do not have. I bring this up specifically because early game trainers with access to Sand Attack become way more annoying to fight since you don't have a lot of options to deal with them other than to grind a lot, and if you try to lower their stats they just switch to another Pokémon undoing that progress. While this isn't really a huge issue since there are only three trainers this applies to that I can think off before Cerulean, it still feels like an issue with the difficulty balance.

Speaking of difficulty balance, another detail that I think is weird is that now almost all AI trainers can switch Pokémon, while in official games this is usually reserved for trainer classes that are supposed to be more serious about battling (Ace trainers, Dragon tamers, Gym leaders and the rivals, etc.). I don't mind this change in concept, but I feel like it doesn't fit with GF's intent regarding game difficulty and also compounds the issue with early-game sand attack trainers.

Maybe I'm the only person with this issue and I by no means am trying to tell you how to make this patch, I just wanted to share my opinion about the early game while being sure that I will enjoy the game more the more I progress in it and experience the rest of the fixes and tweaks you added. (And just as a reminder, I'm speaking strictly about the lite branch, since it's supposed to be for purists like myself 😅)

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Noted. Thank you for the feedback.

Just a clarification though. Switching is not on every trainer. Here are the ones that have it:
    Trainer ai routine #4 added to the following trainer classes -cueball, psychic, hiker, rocket, black belt, tamer, lass, jr trainer M/F, cooltrainer M/F, gentleman, pokemaniac -all rival phases, prof.oak, chief, gym leaders, elite-4
    In vanilla Gen 1, switching is only done by the Juggler (straight 50% chance per turn) and Agatha (straight 8% chance per turn), and it is highly limited in its implementation.

I think the Lass AI is a bit of a holdover that I forgot about. I need to change that back.

Years
  • Noted. Thank you for the feedback.

Just a clarification though. Switching is not on every trainer. Here are the ones that have it:

In vanilla Gen 1, switching is only done by the Juggler (straight 50% chance per turn) and Agatha (straight 8% chance per turn), and it is highly limited in its implementation.

I think the Lass AI is a bit of a holdover that I forgot about. I need to change that back.

Oh ok, understood. I did read about the trainer classes that had that AI routine but I honestly thought that there were more trainers with it. Since the Lass and Hikers in Mt. Moon had that routine (plus the rockets), it gave me an impression that way more trainers had it. I guess aside from the Lass class, most of the others fit in the description of "serious trainers" (maybe except the hikers, their text is always very goofy IMO).

Back