• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I really appreciate this hack as an improved but still distinctly Gen 1 version of Kanto. One thing I noticed however is that the while the backsprites for Pokemon are higher resolution, the backsprites for Red and the Old Man are still the original 28x28 versions. Poketto and SteppoBlazer have created 48x48 versions that Rangi used in her "Redstar/Bluestar" hack. Would you consider implementing these?

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen today
    Poketto and SteppoBlazer have created 48x48 versions that Rangi used in her "Redstar/Bluestar" hack. Would you consider implementing these?

Possibly. I would need to also do something for the female trainer.

Any future plans regarding this hack?

Here is what is planned for v1.24 so far:

- Green and Red-JP have the original front sprites for fossil kabutops and fossil aerodactyl
    - Green and Red-JP have the original text box corners
    - Adapted the japanese title screen logo, sfx, and motion for the jp builds
    - Minor timing fix to title object palette loading
    - Fixed Raticate not appearing in Unknown Dungeon 2F in Blue-Jp
    - Fixed incorrect encounters on route 13 for Blue-Jp
    - Restored intro "Presents" for all builds
    - Added rom hack version tracking for save files
    - Seed-based randomized wild pokemon encounters
    - Built-in nuzlocke mode
    - Paras is gifted in the Route 2 house in case the player has no pokemon that can learn Cut

The nuzlocke mode is going to take a while to properly test.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Quick post with an update on the next patch.

I need some help beta-testing master development patch 1.23.04 which allows for built-in randomized nuzlocke runs. If you choose to play on this development patch, please re-read and understand the whole Player's Guide that has been updated for the new features.

Hey, I'd be happy to beta test. I'm currently running the most recent master version, although I'm on Goomba, which may not be the best choice for emulator. I don't have access to BGB. But, what are some things I should look for while beta testing?

Edit: Just realized I'm not using the developmental patch. Thought it was part of the master branch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hey, I'd be happy to beta test. I'm currently running the most recent master version, although I'm on Goomba, which may not be the best choice for emulator. I don't have access to BGB. But, what are some things I should look for while beta testing?

Edit: Just realized I'm not using the developmental patch. Thought it was part of the master branch.

Yes, the link to the beta leads to the master_dev github branch. It is my development and staging area for stuff that usually makes it into release patches for the master branch.

Goomba is not ideal, but it's better than nothing. The main feature I'm trying to test right now is the built-in nuzlocke mode. It should work as described in the beta player's guide in the master_dev branch.

Years
    • Seen today
    Here's a cool thing I figured out. The gameboy color has a special double-speed CPU mode that I've been playing around with. I was able to make it so the 60 FPS option takes advantage of this double-speed mode when playing on a GBC. The CPU switches over to 8MHz when on the overworld, so updating all the object parameters and tile positions gets done really fast before the next screen refresh. The results are buttery smooth with none of the stuttering that's present when the CPU runs at regular speed.
    https://imgur.com/HrFiz3l

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    A few suggestions/questions:
    1. Would you like to add other tournament rewards like Fly Pikachu, Amnesia Psyduck, Dragon Rage Magikarp, as well as Pay Day Fearow and Rapidash? They are all legitimate event moves in Pokemon Stadium. I won't consider Mist Vaporeon and Acid Diglett because they aren't obtainable.
    2. There are Pokedex text error such as Metapod and lowercase pokemon text when receiving a Paras gift.
    3. I noticed that Giovanni's Kangaskhan cannot be OHKO by my Kingler's Guillotine. Is it intentional?

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • Here's a cool thing I figured out. The gameboy color has a special double-speed CPU mode that I've been playing around with. I was able to make it so the 60 FPS option takes advantage of this double-speed mode when playing on a GBC. The CPU switches over to 8MHz when on the overworld, so updating all the object parameters and tile positions gets done really fast before the next screen refresh. The results are buttery smooth with none of the stuttering that's present when the CPU runs at regular speed.
    https://imgur.com/HrFiz3l

Now that's smooth! I can't wait to try it out.

Years
    • Seen today
    1. Would you like to add other tournament rewards like Fly Pikachu, Amnesia Psyduck, Dragon Rage Magikarp, as well as Pay Day Fearow and Rapidash? They are all legitimate event moves in Pokemon Stadium. I won't consider Mist Vaporeon and Acid Diglett because they aren't obtainable.
    I'll think about it. Surfing Pikachu only crossed my mind because it can be traded over into Yellow to unlock the surfing mini-game.
    2. There are Pokedex text error such as Metapod and lowercase pokemon text when receiving a Paras gift.
    Good catch on the lowercase Paras text. But you are going to have to elaborate on the dex text errors. I just checked Metapod's entry and it looks fine.
    3. I noticed that Giovanni's Kangaskhan cannot be OHKO by my Kingler's Guillotine. Is it intentional?
    I might be misunderstanding you, so you may need to provide more detail. But I'm going to assume that you cannot land the OHKO attacks. In gen 1, OHKO attacks will always fail if the defender is faster than the attacker. The vanilla games did not explain this anywhere, and I added an NPC in the Viridian School that alludes to this mechanic.

A OHKO move that fails to hit will generate one of two messages. A message of "#MON's attack missed" indicates that the OHKO move failed its accuracy check. A message of "#MON is unaffected" indicates that the OHKO is prevented from working because the defender has higher speed.

Kangaskhan has a base speed of 90 compared to Kinger's 75. It's entirely possible that your Kingler is too slow to hit it with Guillotine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    I used redjp/bluejp v1.23.04 and the text character should be an apostrophe but it is shown as MNAZ.
    https://imgur.com/a/V6XUksR

I also noticed that it is impossible to obtain gift Pokemon with DV lower than 8 if you have a space in the party, but you still be able to obtain those with DV lower than 8 if it is transferred to the PC. Is it also intentional?

Years
    • Seen today
    I used redjp/bluejp v1.23.04 and the text character should be an apostrophe but it is shown as MNAZ.
    https://imgur.com/a/V6XUksR
    Oh, that's interesting. I think I may have an invalid ASCII character in the source code. Sometimes the wrong apostrophe gets used if copy/pasting between programs.

I also noticed that it is impossible to obtain gift Pokemon with DV lower than 8 if you have a space in the party, but you still be able to obtain those with DV lower than 8 if it is transferred to the PC. Is it also intentional?
    It's not. Good find.

Years
    • Seen today
    I really appreciate this hack as an improved but still distinctly Gen 1 version of Kanto. One thing I noticed however is that the while the backsprites for Pokemon are higher resolution, the backsprites for Red and the Old Man are still the original 28x28 versions. Poketto and SteppoBlazer have created 48x48 versions that Rangi used in her "Redstar/Bluestar" hack. Would you consider implementing these?

Just a follow-up since a few other people PM'd me about it. I have these working in my development branch. They will get into the next big release patch.

I even made one for good ol' Trainer Violet.
    https://imgur.com/eN9Xxwa

I did a little editing on Red's jacket for consistency. Pocketto had drawn it as more of a short-sleeve vest. But the front art shows it to be more of a jacket with baggier, mid-length sleeves.
    https://imgur.com/T4y2rlX

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Just a follow-up since a few other people PM'd me about it. I have these working in my development branch. They will get into the next big release patch.

I even made one for good ol' Trainer Violet.
    https://imgur.com/eN9Xxwa

I did a little editing on Red's jacket for consistency. Pocketto had drawn it as more of a short-sleeve vest. But the front art shows it to be more of a jacket with baggier, mid-length sleeves.
    https://imgur.com/T4y2rlX

Nice! With gbc color mode the bigger battle sprites look outstanding.

Years
    • Seen today
    Another general announcement. Over the years, I've had more than a handful of people ask me how to swap out the battle back & front sprites between Normal, Red&Green, and Spaceworld-style. I've consolidated how these implementations are organized in the code so that they can now be swapped around with compiler tags in the MAKE file. For example, adding the _SWSPRITES tag to a rom-to-be will make it compile with everything needed to implement the 48x48 back sprites and SW front sprites. I've also done this to the Lite branch for consistency (but kept the tags unassigned). Now folks who use shinpokered or shinpokered_lite as a code base won't have to struggle with getting it to work. It will be in effect in the next big commit to the main repositories.

Years
  • A OHKO move that fails to hit will generate one of two messages. A message of "#MON's attack missed" indicates that the OHKO move failed its accuracy check. A message of "#MON is unaffected" indicates that the OHKO is prevented from working because the defender has higher speed.

i'm pretty sure OHKO moves always miss against certain types of mons like flying types such as pidgeot

Years
    • Seen today
    i'm pretty sure OHKO moves always miss against certain types of mons like flying types such as pidgeot

Yes, that's correct. Gen 1 handles OHKO moves by dealing 65535 damage if they hit, so the damage has a typing associated with it. Fissure deals 0 damage to flying types. Horn Drill and Guillotine deal 0 damage to ghost types.

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • Hey Jojobear, hope you're doing well. I don't know if you've explored this already, but would it be possible to buff/ make the daycare useful? I can't say that I've ever made actual use of it over all these years because the exp gains are so slow. Maybe a buff to exp gained per step? The other thing that makes it annoying is the lack of a PC in the building. It's a low priority thing, but it's kind of a shame the feature is borderline useless. Thank you for all you've done. Have a good weekend!

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey Jojobear, hope you're doing well. I don't know if you've explored this already, but would it be possible to buff/ make the daycare useful? I can't say that I've ever made actual use of it over all these years because the exp gains are so slow. Maybe a buff to exp gained per step? The other thing that makes it annoying is the lack of a PC in the building. It's a low priority thing, but it's kind of a shame the feature is borderline useless. Thank you for all you've done. Have a good weekend!

I feel ya. I don't think you, me, nor anyone has ever used that thing beyond getting some quick levels on early-game trash 'mons. I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head.

Years
    • Seen today
    I can't say that I've ever made actual use of it over all these years because the exp gains are so slow.

I think I've found the reason for this.

So the exp gain is 1 per step. The key is understanding what that really means from a player perspective. Many areas have an encounter rate of 10/256, so 1 exp per step more or less the same as grinding out wild encounters that each give 25 exp. What kind of wild encounters give this kind of yield? Level 3 Nidorans.

So yeah. The daycare is basically a faster way of grinding out wild battles against level 3 Nidorans. And yet this is after you've made your way to Cerulean City where you would be better off grinding absolutely anywhere else. You have no incentive to ever use the daycare because it never scales to your game progression.

The most straightforward solution would be to scale the "level" of our hypothetical Nidoran with the number of gym badges obtained. 1 badge scales it to level 10, 2 badges to level 15, and so on. That way the daycare keeps pace with wild Pokémon on routes and dungeons.

Back