• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Even if you buffed the XP gain, the daycare still won't be that good due to how it handles moves and evolutions. The daycare's best use-case is to level pokemon like Abra and Magikarp. Problem is that you have to constantly check back and take your Abra at exactly level 15 and Magikarp at exactly 19, because otherwise any later they won't learn Confusion or Bite on evolution.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Even if you buffed the XP gain, the daycare still won't be that good due to how it handles moves and evolutions. The daycare's best use-case is to level pokemon like Abra and Magikarp. Problem is that you have to constantly check back and take your Abra at exactly level 15 and Magikarp at exactly 19, because otherwise any later they won't learn Confusion or Bite on evolution.

I may have a solution for that. Gaining multiple levels at once in battle used to cause the same problem, but it was fixed by storing the original level and iterating up to the current level. The daycare already stores the original level in order to calculate the money you owe. It shouldn't be too hard to pass that information into the evolution routine and run it upon receiving your pokemon.

EDIT: I got it working.
    EDIT 2: See attachment for a demonstration. Works pretty good after a bit of polishing.

Attachments

• shinpokered_daycaredemo.mp4
      471.3 KB
    Last edited:

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • I may have a solution for that. Gaining multiple levels at once in battle used to cause the same problem, but it was fixed by storing the original level and iterating up to the current level. The daycare already stores the original level in order to calculate the money you owe. It shouldn't be too hard to pass that information into the evolution routine and run it upon receiving your pokemon.

EDIT: I got it working.
    EDIT 2: See attachment for a demonstration. Works pretty good after a bit of polishing.

That's already so much better! I totally forgot that the level up moves were annoying in the daycare as well. Your solution looks great.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey Jojobear. Does the lv 100 leading Chansey work with the stationary legendaries?

Come to think of it, I don't believe it does. Static wild battles are handled the same way as trainer battles, so none of the stuff involving RNG encounters gets run.

Granted, it shouldn't be too hard to correct this. The function for generating a shiny pokemon is very modular as of the current beta patch. Setting bit 7 of address $cfc4 (or just setting the address to $80) will force the next wild pokemon encountered to be shiny. You can do this with your emulator's debugger if you want to cheat it, or use the gameshark code 0180C4CF on the overworld (activate then deactivate the code).

Actually a Fungus

Professional PokéFan
    Years
  • I have been thinking for quite some time how much I wanted to replay gen 1 if not for it being completely busted... and now I've found Shin Pokemon, I can start a new, less broken adventure on this game I used to love so much. After I play the heck out of the original Shin Red, I'd love to try out the Random Nuzloke beta! Thank you so much for all of the hard work you've been putting into this project, it's amazing!!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    how about to release 2 versions for JP build one with english logo and other wilh japanese and i have sample for jp shin red

Last edited:

Actually a Fungus

Professional PokéFan
    Years
  • Okay, so I started playing Shin Pokemon Green on my phone and I'm not sure if this is a result of the emu or the rom itself but there are a couple of bugs as shown in this video. The original back sprites still show up, not sure if that's supposed to happen in Green, but the crash with the potions happens when I try to buy pokeballs as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1us6b2f51s9dm6p/Shin Green Bugs.mov?dl=0

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay, so I started playing Shin Pokemon Green on my phone and I'm not sure if this is a result of the emu or the rom itself but there are a couple of bugs as shown in this video. The original back sprites still show up, not sure if that's supposed to happen in Green, but the crash with the potions happens when I try to buy pokeballs as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1us6b2f51s9dm6p/Shin Green Bugs.mov?dl=0

Did you apply the patch to a Blue base rom?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The original back sprites still show up

First off, I updated the beta patches to v1.23.06. There's a few more improvements and fixes in there.

The japanese-style patches (green, redjp, bluejp) are intended to replicate the original jp-release aesthetic as closely as possible. They will all use the original back sprites.

Your video shows a graphic glitch in the gengar vs nidorino intro that has been reported before. This is caused by erroneously applying the green patch to a red base rom (my reproduction is attached). Green needs to be patched onto blue.

Attachments

• 2022-03-31 02-04-58.mp4
      673.2 KB
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So I'm doing a playtest to get ready for the next version release. I thought it might be fun to stream it. I got my old channel set up again at twitch.tv/7evenforce. If this sounds interesting to you, come give me a follow so you get notified.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    Excuse me, so to play pokemon green I need to apply it to Blue (jp or us) rom? I did try to patch it to pokemon green and it doesn't seen playable (bgb).

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have a suggestion about the back sprites, there's some that date back to very early builds of gold and silver, even older than Spaceworld 97. When they were still called pokemon 2. Could some of the Kanto mons (Pokemon 2) only the back sprites in the GREY replace the current spaceworld 97 back sprites for even more consistency? Because thier a 1 to 1 with the blue front sprites.

https://tcrf.net/Development:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Sprites/CBB_Scratchpads

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have a suggestion about the back sprites, there's some that date back to very early builds of gold and silver, even older than Spaceworld 97. When they were still called pokemon 2. Could some of the Kanto mons (Pokemon 2) only the back sprites in the GREY replace the current spaceworld 97 back sprites for even more consistency? Because thier a 1 to 1 with the blue front sprites.

I'd only consider a few of them. These are from scratchpad files that were used for rough drafts and branstorming ideas. Some of these, like machamp and cloyster, look like they were an experiment with doing a sideways profile. And then there's mr.mime standing backwards in what was probably some crazy idea that never panned out. Some of them are just the same but missing touch-ups and adjustments. And others are based off the red-jp/green fronts. But there are a few good ones to pilfer.

metapod
    pikachu
    vulpix
    ninetails
    zubat
    psyduck
    golduck
    rhydon

Akiak

dreamin'
    Years
    • Seen today
    Given that this only has the 1st gen Pokemon, you could implement a habitat limitation for the randomizer. Habitats are a classification system that is exclusive to FRLG, so you could make it so wild Pokemon are only replaced by Pokemon in that same habitat. You'd need the space to add that detail to every Pokemon, though.

By the way, I was also wondering how the trainer randomization works. It says it only affects trainers with no roster customization. What does this mean?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Thats true i was only considering the ones that further match thier blue fronts. Some of them like you said cloyster and mr mime are very wonky in thier style. As in that stage of development, mid 1996 they were still trying to figure out how the newer back sprites would pan out going foward from the enlarged pixels in red and green.

Last edited:
    Back