• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    There's a visual glitch with the man by the grass to the south of the Route 3 Mt Moon entrance / Pokemon center. When the player walks right, the tile beneath him flashes. This is on the dev patch.

Got it. The grass tile priority for NPCs was updating mid-movement, so the game was thinking the guy was standing in grass during the middle frames of the screen scroll.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Dear jojobear13
    Thanks for this ROM
    I am really enjoying it.
    Almost finished it in "easy mode" and probably will re-play it on escalated.

I am not sure if it has been told yet, but there is just one thing I think I found not realistic in the easy mode: the E4. The rival's mons seem to have quite an extra bonus. Not sure if it's just DV boost only... basically 2 things
    - excessive enemy speed : slowbro outspeeding my +1 lvl machamp (25 base points of difference). Cloyster outspeeding my same level Moltres (20points of difference).
    - excessive critical ratio. Also for very slow pokemons e.g Lorelei Dewgong's hitting 2 in a row. Probably related to an increased speed.

Was that an intentional equalizer? It's sometimes frustrating as later on, Agatha's Gengar can't basically be outsped even by my Jolteon.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Dear jojobear13
    Thanks for this ROM
    I am really enjoying it.
    Almost finished it in "easy mode" and probably will re-play it on escalated.

I am not sure if it has been told yet, but there is just one thing I think I found not realistic in the easy mode: the E4. The rival's mons seem to have quite an extra bonus. Not sure if it's just DV boost only... basically 2 things
    - excessive enemy speed : slowbro outspeeding my +1 lvl machamp (25 base points of difference). Cloyster outspeeding my same level Moltres (20points of difference).
    - excessive critical ratio. Also for very slow pokemons e.g Lorelei Dewgong's hitting 2 in a row. Probably related to an increased speed.

Was that an intentional equalizer? It's sometimes frustrating as later on, Agatha's Gengar can't basically be outsped even by my Jolteon.

If you played in SET mode, then trainers are going to be boosted with stat exp and you won't get your badge boosts.

EDIT: One think I want to mention is that the difficulty additions to SET mode are being separated out into its own menu option in the next version. That way you can have both SET and SHIFT run per the vanilla games.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Real quick. What's the history on this butterfree? It's only level 23, so that's not a lot of time for the corruption to happen. Did you catch it early and box it? Or was it in your party and you were doing some side-grinding? I'm trying to narrow down when this could occur.

Dang, I'm not really sure. It has been a while. I believe I caught it as a Caterpie early on, then trained it later, probably after Misty. But I'm not sure if I boxed it or kept it in my party. What I can say for sure is that I boxed it sometime later when I replaced it with another Pokémon, and basically only used it again once I traded it to the other version, where I noticed the corrupted OT name. This means that it stayed boxed for most of my first playthrough.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I've been using randomized trainers, and I have to say that Snorlax is absolutely miserable. It starts with Headbutt, Amnesia, and Rest, meaning most Pokemon get walled by it indefinitely. Another problem is Gyarados, who starts with Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump. Fighting either of these in the early game is a death sentence.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've been using randomized trainers, and I have to say that Snorlax is absolutely miserable. It starts with Headbutt, Amnesia, and Rest, meaning most Pokemon get walled by it indefinitely. Another problem is Gyarados, who starts with Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump. Fighting either of these in the early game is a death sentence.

What if I randomized them within tiers? That way you won't get randomly curb-stomped by a Tauros on route 3.

Dang, I'm not really sure. It has been a while. I believe I caught it as a Caterpie early on, then trained it later, probably after Misty. But I'm not sure if I boxed it or kept it in my party. What I can say for sure is that I boxed it sometime later when I replaced it with another Pokémon, and basically only used it again once I traded it to the other version, where I noticed the corrupted OT name. This means that it stayed boxed for most of my first playthrough.

Are you able to post the raw .SAV file with the butterfree? There are a few values within the wram I want to check.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    What if I randomized them within tiers? That way you won't get randomly curb-stomped by a Tauros on route 3.

Some sort of weight system would be good. Right now I have to save scum before every trainer fight, else I black out and lose half my money. It would also be nice if blacking out wasn't so expensive, but that's a separate issue.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Some sort of weight system would be good. Right now I have to save scum before every trainer fight, else I black out and lose half my money. It would also be nice if blacking out wasn't so expensive, but that's a separate issue.

I pushed a commit to the dev branch if you are interested in giving it a shot.

First thing it does is take the higher-BST non-evolving pokemon and make it so they do not appear on randomized trainers under level 30. Trainers at this level are typically inaccessible until you've obtained the pokeflute. The second thing it does is bias the levels at which randomized trainer pokemon auto-evolve to be a bit higher. For example, gyarados won't be generated until trainers of level 26 are encountered sometime after getting through Rock Tunnel.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I'm veeeeery sorry for the late reply, my life was kinda busy these days, but now I'm back to play Pokémon and visit forums again =]

Go to the name rater and pick a pokemon to change its nickname. When you get to the naming screen, is the ED character corrupted?

No, it isn't corrupted.

- version info of your game from the main screen.

Red Version(J) V1.23M

- point in the game that you noticed everything was fine.

At the time LinkNinjaMaster reported the glitch, I was in Cerulean City, can't say exactly what I was doing, I GUESS I was doing ONE of the following three situations:
    -I was at the nugget bridge and route 25 defeating every trainer
    -I was grinding a team just to beat misty
    -I was leaving Cerulean after get my Cascade badge

At this time, I searched for any Pokémon in my team or PC for corrupted trainer name, everyone, even the Pikachu was fine.

- point (and map) in the game you noticed the error.

I noticed only in Fushia City

- description of the activities you engaged in between those times and the general order in which you did them. Particularly any custom features of the rom hack. Was your pikachu always in your party for this duration?

From Cerulean fo Fushia city, too much things happened between the last time I checked every Pokémon I had, so it's hard to point when my name got corrupted in my Pikachu's OT.
    As I play with trainer scale AND obedience cap ON at the same time, it obligates me to catch every new pokémon as soon as I can find them and make all their levels high enough to defeat gym leaders but also low enough so them won't disobey me, so it kept me Depositing high level Pokémon and Withdrawing my low level Pokémon all the time, as I catch Pikachu in Viridian, it was in and out of the box tons of times.

Features I'm using from this RomHack as soon I was able to activate:

QOL features:
    -60 FPS
    -Text Speed FAST!
    -Pokémon caught symbol and gender
    -Temporary field move slot (I use this all the time, I decided to play the whole game without teaching any HM moves in-battle, I use HM as temporary field move only)

Competitive features:
    -Randomization
    -Battle Style as SET
    -Obedience Level Cap
    -Oak's Aide Level Scaling

features I never used: Clause Brothers, Celadon Diner Aide, Bag extra space, New Game+

- if possible, the name of the emulator core that your device is using.

Pizza Boy, I don't know the core it is based on.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024

I totally agree with this.
    I'm one who likes a true challenge, but some Pokémon randomized in early game can be really unfair due their high stats and boost moves available for them that abuses it's own stats even more.

-Scyther
    God of critical hits, Slash turns into Guillotine after it boosts itself with focus energy and/or swords dance) and good luck to hit it if it's high enough to use Double Team.

-Gyarados
    Hydro Pump kills everything in it's way, and if you use any Pokémon who resist it like water or grass, good luck, because in early game them don't deal much damage, don't have powerful neither Super Effective moves to counter it, neither will have enough HP to survive two dragon rages, if it even can survive at least one.

-Lapras
    Have high defense, it's hard to deal damage even with Super Effective moves, it also usually attacks first, makes you sleep with sing, protect itself with Mist so it can't be paralized, but can paralize you if you wake up and get hit by body slam, and good luck to hit it if you're not confused yet.

-Snorlax
    Hard to deal any damage even with Super Effective moves and recover itself often, you would probably lose the battle without PP left and struggling, but it's headbutt is here to solve this problem and kills you before it can happen.

-Taurus
    High stats, deal lots of damage, resist too much as Gen one Taurus have high both Defense and Special, don't hit as much critical hits as Scyther's Slash, but it's Stomp will flinch you as often instead.

-Hitmonlee
    High attack stats and good speed stats, it's Double Kick give too much damage even if your Pokémon resists it, and if it use one Medidate, it's Double Kick turns into some early Rolling Kick, if it uses two Medidate, seems it's Double Kick is now early Jump Kick, if it's use Medidate Three times, it looks that it's Double Kick is now early High Jump Kick.

I survived most battles against them glad for my Pikachu's high speed + Thunder Wave, Rock-Type Pokémon to tank their powerful Normal Type moves until get my Gastly to abuse it's imunity against them. Trainers who have 3 or more Pokémon on team and coincidently randomized two or more of what I mentioned above was certain defeat.

I guess they should be unlocked between level 30 or 40 to be randomized and give challenge without unfairness.

Also, Pinsir, Hitmonchan, Chansey, Mr. Mine, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Licktung and Kanghaskan can also be a pain due their high stats in very early game, but as they don't have much moves available to abuse it, I guess it's fair they be unlocked more early between 20 and 30.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, but if a Repel-type effect prevents the Mew encounter in Cerulean Cave, the game acts as if you had encountered Mew and forces you to rebattle the five trainers to respawn it. This is particularly annoying if you're trying to shinyhunt Mew using the Level 100 Chansey+Repel trick (like me).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, but if a Repel-type effect prevents the Mew encounter in Cerulean Cave, the game acts as if you had encountered Mew and forces you to rebattle the five trainers to respawn it. This is particularly annoying if you're trying to shinyhunt Mew using the Level 100 Chansey+Repel trick (like me).

That's my bad. I'll create an issue ticket.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    How do I compile a new rom?

Learn how to compile and make small modifications to pokered disassembly first. Their discord can help you in this regard (since they do not help with individual hacks). When you are comfortable working with pokered, you can transfer that experience over to tweaking shinpokered.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    photo-2022-10-12-19-10-49.jpg

Interesting, a wild/trainer Farfetch'd have correct apostraphes, but after you got one, the apostrophes changes for "x" in battle, as well as it's own name on Pokémon team and stats first screen, on the second stats screen and in the Pokédex, the apostraphes are there, I wonder if after you release the next patch, it will fix my Farfetch'd apostraphes, or if I'll have to release it and catch another wild one.

I forgot to say, I looked all my Pokémon in my team and PC Box, there's no corrupted OT name, I got rid of that Pikachu by evolving him with thunderstone and traded for that Electrode in Cinnabar, just to release it afterwards, I got a new one on power plant and it's OT name is not corrupted. Did you figured out or is it still a mistery what causes that corruption?

And I have to say, +70 gameplay hours of pure satisfaction, even with it's sometimes unbalanced randomizer and weird apostraphes glitches, this was the RomHack I was looking forward for years, I had the best battle ever against Giovanni, I loved the move changes you made to compensate his type weakness and I had to pick a new whole team and lvl uped them up to lvl 43 just to beat him, epic battle, NOW this really looks like the final Gym Leader, he's so boring in vanilla. I'll be in indigo plateau soon, I have got the Moltres, the only 6 Pokémon left to complete the Pokédex is Hitmonlee, Omanyte/Omastar, Dragonite, Mewtwo and Mew.

I'm a fan of this project now, and soon I believe that this will be my favorite Gen 1 hack of all time.
    One doubt, what means "Shin"? Why this name? Just because sounds cool or it have a meaning?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    photo-2022-10-12-19-10-49.jpg

Interesting, a wild/trainer Farfetch'd have correct apostraphes, but after you got one, the apostrophes changes for "x" in battle, as well as it's own name on Pokémon team and stats first screen, on the second stats screen and in the Pokédex, the apostraphes are there, I wonder if after you release the next patch, it will fix my Farfetch'd apostraphes, or if I'll have to release it and catch another wild one.

That's entirely my fault. It's caused by some old debug code where I tried to automatically remove corrupted characters. I forgot to account for the apostraphe in farfetch'd and the period in mr. mime. You should be able to fix it at the name rater in the next version.

I forgot to say, I looked all my Pokémon in my team and PC Box, there's no corrupted OT name, I got rid of that Pikachu by evolving him with thunderstone and traded for that Electrode in Cinnabar, just to release it afterwards, I got a new one on power plant and it's OT name is not corrupted. Did you figured out or is it still a mistery what causes that corruption?

Very scant ideas. I think it might be related to Pizza Boy. All I can do is keep an eye out for it in my private playtesting.

And I have to say, +70 gameplay hours of pure satisfaction, even with it's sometimes unbalanced randomizer and weird apostraphes glitches, this was the RomHack I was looking forward for years, I had the best battle ever against Giovanni, I loved the move changes you made to compensate his type weakness and I had to pick a new whole team and lvl uped them up to lvl 43 just to beat him, epic battle, NOW this really looks like the final Gym Leader, he's so boring in vanilla. I'll be in indigo plateau soon, I have got the Moltres, the only 6 Pokémon left to complete the Pokédex is Hitmonlee, Omanyte/Omastar, Dragonite, Mewtwo and Mew.

Best of luck!

I'm a fan of this project now, and soon I believe that this will be my favorite Gen 1 hack of all time.
    One doubt, what means "Shin"? Why this name? Just because sounds cool or it have a meaning?

"Shin", written with the kanji of 真, is the japanese word for "true". This rom hack uses it within the same vein as works like Shin Mazinger Z or Shin Getter Robo to denote an update, re-imagining, or "true form" of something.

Years
  • Hi everyone. On a tangentially-related note, Vortiene has released Pokemon PureRGB which takes advantage of several advances made by Shin Pokemon. Go give it some love if you get a chance. It gives me the warm fuzzies to see that my contributions are helping others to make cool stuff!

I finally got to play the PureRGB series when v2.1.0 came out earlier this October (though recently v2.2.0 was released). didn't wanna play it until at least the 2.1.0 release, which got many bug fixes & enhancements

also played this guy's Red*/Blue* hack as well; one of the features I like was having those "item descriptions" when selecting an item in the bag/pack that shows a short description of the selected item

would be kinda neat if the item description feature from Red*/Blue* somehow made it into the Shin Pokemon games if possible

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I know it's been asked before if Shin Pokemon will implement the original flashing move animations (hyper beam, etc) into Green and Red-JP. The answer is still "no", but I have gone ahead and documented the code changes that were done to lessen the flashing in Blue-JP, Red, and Blue. Basically they just increased the period between frame flashes on certain animation functions by 4x. Anyway, I'm going to tether this to a makefile tag and leave it inactive; others can do what they want with it.

Back