• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    its a shame really i cant get this to work. the file is incomplete it says.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Still loving this hack. Just picked my old save file up again and am giving it another go.

Would displaying damage dealt in numbers during battle be a possibility? Is it something you'd consider? I know it's just one more text screen to pass through so I can see how it wouldn't always be appreciated, but if there was a chance for a setting you can toggle stating how much damage was taken/dealt it would be cool to see how high I could get it to go.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Still loving this hack. Just picked my old save file up again and am giving it another go.

Would displaying damage dealt in numbers during battle be a possibility? Is it something you'd consider? I know it's just one more text screen to pass through so I can see how it wouldn't always be appreciated, but if there was a chance for a setting you can toggle stating how much damage was taken/dealt it would be cool to see how high I could get it to go.

Adding yet another textbox to mash 'A' through is not something I'm keen to do. I'd rather print it on-screen as needed like in Final Fantsy 3 to 6. Interesting idea though. Enough that I threw together a quick an dirty proof of concept. There is a little bit of space above the player 'mon back sprite where damage numbers can be printed directly into the battle space. It was not too difficult to print the 2-byte number in the wDamage address during the function where the UI gets updated (such as when the health bars decrementing). It's a little janky because both player and enemy damage are stored in the wDamage address, but it seems to work. I'll probably make this a "debug" cheat code.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Adding yet another textbox to mash 'A' through is not something I'm keen to do. I'd rather print it on-screen as needed like in Final Fantsy 3 to 6. Interesting idea though. Enough that I threw together a quick an dirty proof of concept. There is a little bit of space above the player 'mon back sprite where damage numbers can be printed directly into the battle space. It was not too difficult to print the 2-byte number in the wDamage address during the function where the UI gets updated (such as when the health bars decrementing). It's a little janky because both player and enemy damage are stored in the wDamage address, but it seems to work. I'll probably make this a "debug" cheat code.

This sounds amazing. I'm on the source build of 1.22 I think and I've been loving the random trainer roster setting too.

I was looking for the changelog to see what I'm missing to see if I should update to the current source code and looked on Github but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I look forward to hopefully seeing how that looks in battle. Are you going to print how much HP damage it dealt or how much damage would have been dealt? The latter sounds more interesting personally.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This sounds amazing. I'm on the source build of 1.22 I think and I've been loving the random trainer roster setting too.

I was looking for the changelog to see what I'm missing to see if I should update to the current source code and looked on Github but couldn't find it.

Anyway, I look forward to hopefully seeing how that looks in battle. Are you going to print how much HP damage it dealt or how much damage would have been dealt? The latter sounds more interesting personally.

The github link in the OP is to the main master branch, which is on release 1.23. There is an extensive changelog from 1.22.

The master_dev branch is where I do all my iterative development. It updates as I push new code. I may or may not accidentally break things here. I do keep a changelog from 1.23 up to date.

Anyway, it prints whatever is stored in wDamage. That's determined by the battle engine. While the hp bar goes down, it is the absolute damage of the attack. I'm just lucky that this matches what is done in other RPGs. If it KOs the Pokémon, it switches to the hp deducted from the hp bar (prevents underflowing the hp).

I did set it up so that the display is cleared if either Pokémon has zero hp in order to clean it up a bit. But the deducted value stays on screen for a little bit if a new Pokémon is replacing one that was KO'ed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2024
    Been playing a bit of pokemon pure red and really liked the options menu and also xp bar had a a cleaner implementation.

Would be better for difficulty settings and fps options.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Been playing a bit of pokemon pure red and really liked the options menu and also xp bar had a a cleaner implementation.

Would be better for difficulty settings and fps options.

Both of those exist in Shin.

Harder difficulty is toggled by setting switch to set in options.

There's also an "experimental" 60 FPS setting. I forget how it activates but it describes it on the main post.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Hey, did you happen to "fix" the crit damage? I know it normally ignores stat changes but it seems like it's been doing more when I use Amnesia or Swords Dance with a crit.

Also, I encountered a weird vanilla bug that I figured was fixed. I was in Poke Mansion and it randomly said "Ding Dong. Time's up"! Then warped me back to Safari entrance. I had been to the Safari Zone but I didn't do the Glitch City trick. I can try to reproduce it.

I'm still on the version where the tilesets im Viridian Forest and others don't really allow you to leave upon trying to exit. I know you fixed that in a newer version though.

I appreciate all your work JoJo. I'm actually about to complete a dex fully. In my 15 years of playing mods, I've never finished the dex. Never thought it would be through a Gen 1 mod.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've come across a pretty insignificant glitch, not even sure its worth fixing but i thought i would mention it. I updated my game to 1.23.09 last night and the playtime for my game, which was previously maxed out at 255:00, now shows up as 32767:00. I used speed up a lot, but I don't think I have played the game for over 32 thousand hours, and the playtime has stopped going up.

For background, I'm playing on shin blue with the original back sprites. The original .sav file was from a vanilla blue save, which I transferred over to Shin blue around version 1.23.06.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've come across a pretty insignificant glitch, not even sure its worth fixing but i thought i would mention it. I updated my game to 1.23.09 last night and the playtime for my game, which was previously maxed out at 255:00, now shows up as 32767:00. I used speed up a lot, but I don't think I have played the game for over 32 thousand hours, and the playtime has stopped going up.

For background, I'm playing on shin blue with the original back sprites. The original .sav file was from a vanilla blue save, which I transferred over to Shin blue around version 1.23.06.

A previously maxed-out game clock of 255 won't transfer over with an update. This is because the wram address labelled wPlayTimeMaxed gets set to FF when the clock gets maxed. To make use of the expanded game clock, use the gameshark code 010042DA to reset wPlayTimeMaxed back to zero.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, did you happen to "fix" the crit damage? I know it normally ignores stat changes but it seems like it's been doing more when I use Amnesia or Swords Dance with a crit.

Critical hits now compare critical damage to stat-modified damage and will apply whichever is higher. Stat modifiers still do not apply to crits, but critical damage will never be less than regular damage.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Thanks for the response! I might just leave it as it because it is pretty funny seeing such a high playtime.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Small oversight I noticed. The fossil sprites in Pewter Muesem still display thier blue sprites in Red Jp.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2024
    attachment.php

Attachments

• 83B582EC-4EBF-4DED-BCCA-49B0354BEDD3.jpeg
      83B582EC-4EBF-4DED-BCCA-49B0354BEDD3.jpeg
      97.3 KB · Views: 324
    • AD931CA2-785B-43CE-A4B8-467C05E60D95.jpeg
      AD931CA2-785B-43CE-A4B8-467C05E60D95.jpeg
      159.3 KB · Views: 12
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I just noticed a bug with vitamins. They are no longer increasing stats/stat exp. Even on pokemon that don't have any stat exp or low stat exp. When i use the vitamins, both stat exp and stats remain the same.

Most of the time, the dialogue still shows up as normal ("bulbasaur's attack increased"), there are just no effects. Sometimes, the "it won't have any effect" dialogue box will appear even for pokemon with non maxed stats, but ive noticed that it only appears when trying to give vitamins to pokemon in the 5th spot in your party.

I did not have this issue in the previous version (1.23M) so I think this is a problem that came recently (maybe with 1.23.09).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just noticed a bug with vitamins. They are no longer increasing stats/stat exp. Even on pokemon that don't have any stat exp or low stat exp. When i use the vitamins, both stat exp and stats remain the same.

Most of the time, the dialogue still shows up as normal ("bulbasaur's attack increased"), there are just no effects. Sometimes, the "it won't have any effect" dialogue box will appear even for pokemon with non maxed stats, but ive noticed that it only appears when trying to give vitamins to pokemon in the 5th spot in your party.

I did not have this issue in the previous version (1.23M) so I think this is a problem that came recently (maybe with 1.23.09).

I think I fixed it. Try giving beta patch 1.23.10 a try.

SPazzzi95 said:
    i-saw-what-you-deleted.gif

This is the last extra patch I'm doing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My Social Anxiety Disorder made me delete that. Really what's a dude like me obsessed with 26 year old game lol.

Anyways thanks for the patch!

Last edited:
    Back