• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    [/ATTACH]

There seems to be a glitch with the Rival's Squirtle on route 23. Whenever I attacked it, the game goes nuts and it spams moves like clamp etc. The squirtle was also using the same moves as my pikachu who fought it, the graphics also became corrupted with flowers. After I won the battle the game froze and kept playing rhyhorn's cry. I believe this probably has something to do with the 60 fps mode?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-024123_Pizza Boy Pro.jpg
      Screenshot_20221102-024123_Pizza Boy Pro.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    [/ATTACH]

There seems to be a glitch with the Rival's Squirtle on route 23. Whenever I attacked it, the game goes nuts and it spams moves like clamp etc. The squirtle was also using the same moves as my pikachu who fought it, the graphics also became corrupted with flowers. After I won the battle the game froze and kept playing rhyhorn's cry. I believe this probably has something to do with the 60 fps mode?

I need version information to even begin to diagnose the problem.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It was the latest master dev version.

Thanks. Crazy nonsense like that is caused by jumping to invalid addresses. Usually this happens because a terminator value was left off of a list or a push command was done without a corresponding pop command.

Sure enough, I found an instance where a push with no pop can happen under certain conditions.

I rebuilt and re-upped the 1.23.10 beta patches. Give it a try now.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2024
    Great hack, very welcome and much needed changes and additions.
    I'm at victory road right now and I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Thanks for making this, really appreciate the effort.
    The only "criticism" I have would be that because of all the togglable features I always end up toggling on or off something because I can't leave my buttons alone, nothing major just a minor annoyance on my part.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2023
    I am a big fan of this hack and was thinking of using the disassembly to make some minor changes. However the current master branch wont compile (version 1.18 however compiles just fine in cygwin). Error message is .end in /scripts/safarizoneentrance.asm is not defined. To my novice eyes it looks like a indentation error on line 341. However, when i modify this I instead get the error:
    ERROR: wram.asm(3380) -> sram.asm(17):
    'wSpriteDataEnd - wSpriteDataStart' not defined
    make: *** [Makefile:60: wram_red.o] Error 5

Which doesn't make sense to me at all. So my question is more or less how should I proceed to compile the code?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I am a big fan of this hack and was thinking of using the disassembly to make some minor changes. However the current master branch wont compile (version 1.18 however compiles just fine in cygwin). Error message is .end in /scripts/safarizoneentrance.asm is not defined. To my novice eyes it looks like a indentation error on line 341. However, when i modify this I instead get the error:
    ERROR: wram.asm(3380) -> sram.asm(17):
    'wSpriteDataEnd - wSpriteDataStart' not defined
    make: *** [Makefile:60: wram_red.o] Error 5

Which doesn't make sense to me at all. So my question is more or less how should I proceed to compile the code?

Type rgbasm --version and make sure you are running rgbasm v0.5.2.

Then do a git pull to make sure your local master branch is updated with the remote master branch.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2022
    I apologize if this has been asked a billion times, but the trainers won't do anything and after my turn the next round starts. I'm playing Shin Green v1.22. Wild Pokémon attack and Gym Leader's Pokémon attack but just regular trainers don't do anything. Any idea?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I apologize if this has been asked a billion times, but the trainers won't do anything and after my turn the next round starts. I'm playing Shin Green v1.22. Wild Pokémon attack and Gym Leader's Pokémon attack but just regular trainers don't do anything. Any idea?

Thanks

You might want to switch to the 1.23.11 beta patch linked in the OP (under Beta News).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2022
    I just want to say this has been an awesome experience playing this. I'm not finished yet, but I'm far enough (just beat 7th gym) to have a pretty good idea. But the changes have been most welcome. I like doing a challenge where my Pokémon can't be higher than the current gym leader's highest Pokémon and you can't fight the gym leaders with more Pokémon than what they have, and this version has been really great adding an extra challenge. But really the new changes are so welcome and I'm not sure I can go back to playing the original versions.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    are you planning on modifying the female trainer sprite to more closely match leaf's original design? the one that was shown in the image that teased her as a scrapped idea for gen 1

You mean Green? It's a false rumor that she was a scrapped idea. Ken Sugimori drew her backside because he needed a piece of artwork that depicted three trainers. A different artist came up with her front-side appearance for a paper-crafting book that was published, and this was later re-worked into the manga character. Gamefreak never considered adding a female player character until late 1997 as a gen-2 feature.

Anyway, the answer is "no" and is something that was already fought about internally some years ago.

edit: I just finished the dex, wanted to note something

I imported my save from vanilla US Red into Shin Red. I beat the Elite Four on my vanilla file before importing, but the secret shop in Celadon didn't let me access it & it had me beat the Elite Four again. not a huge deal, but just thought I should note that for your own reference

Easy fix. I'll note that one in the issues tab.

Actually a Fungus

Professional PokéFan
    Years
  • attachment.php

I need me one of those GB gadgets! And I absolutely LOVE the custom Jigglypuff GBC!

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I'm on a slightly older version atm, (1.22) but am confused on how to encounter Mew. I have the other 150 owned. I know it's changed a few times. What all do I need to do to encounter him?

Back