• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny Advice and Theory

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I'm not sure if someone's already said this, but I figured I'd give a heads up and perhaps hopefully get some people who agree in order to solidate this theory.

So, I'm pretty sure searching for shinies in your friend safari drastically increases your chance of finding shinies. I've found like, 9... there? Something like that. Recently I added a new friend, however, with a Charmeleon safari. Me and him have never been on at the same time, unfortunately. So whenever I go to the safari, I see the silhouette of her face on the friend select menu and a question mark. I literally searched for a shiny charmeleon for like 12-14 hours and found nothing (I have no life right now, but that's for another day)...

In a normal safari, however, where i've been online at the same time as my friends, I can find one shiny every 1-2 hours. And as soon as I left the Charmeleon safari, surely enough I find a shiny Sigilyph within the hour.

So anyone looking for shinies, I just thought I'd give a heads up on this theory. I'm almost 100% sure that it helps if you've been online with the friend.

Last edited:

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
    That would explain why I spent like 5 times as long in a Charmeleon safari than the others without finding anything...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Another way to increase the rate of your shiny encounter is, according to rumor, by giving people tips. It hasn't actually been confirmed, though, since nobody's been able to look into the game's code to see if it is real. d: I've given tips to about two - three people, but so far, I haven't been able to encounter any shiny at all. My friend, on the other hand—she ran into a shiny Bunnelby eight to nine minutes after giving some tips to the guy at Parfum Palace. I'm not exactly sure if this is true or made-up, but I'll lean more towards believing her. xD

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Another way to increase the rate of your shiny encounter is, according to rumor, by giving people tips. It hasn't actually been confirmed, though, as nobody's been able to look into the game's code to see if it is true. d: I've given to about two - three people, but so far, I haven't been able to encounter any shiny at all. My friend, on the other hand—she ran into a shiny Bunnelby eight to nine minutes after giving some tips to the guy at Parfum Palace. I'm not exactly sure if this is true or made-up, but I'll lean more towards believing her. xD

I've tipped well over 100k and have over 80 hours played with no Shiny. I've spent a lot of time in Friend Safari too searching for females with their Hidden Ability. Pokemon only have a chance of having their Hidden Ability if you've been online at the same time as your friend. I am a firm believer that tipping does nothing. All we are basing this rumor off of is the fact a regular person just like us said they THOUGHT this MIGHT be the case.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I've spent a lot of time in Friend Safari too searching for females with their Hidden Ability.

You also said that you found no shinies. It makes me wonder how much time you spent in the safari and if the safaris were FULLY registered. I'm just curious because most people I know who have spent adequate time (a couple hours) in the safari have at least one shiny to show.

But that's why I made this thread, to figure out the validity/disprove behind the theories and what else people have found. So hearing your perspective and those of others would be really interesting. =)

It also helps ease tension and anticipation imo if you go in with the intention of EV training pokemon rather than just looking for shinies. It makes time go by faster haha.

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
    Just any safari that has a Charmeleon in it. It's not an important part of the shiny theory or anything, it just happens to be a coincidence between Cassie and I.
    (Since we're both looking for a shiny Charizard)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2016
    Oh, okay. :P The way it was typed made it seem like certain Safaris will be different from others when using this theory. I'll go try this out in a bit!

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
    this seems very likely, thanks for the advice (btw, did you consider hatching a charmander?with the taonflame thing, egg runs dont take that much anymore for me XD)

Kiara

Laughing Hyena
    Years
    My fastest shiny was actually from a friend safari where it was blacked out like that. I had just added the person and we hadn't connected/been online together, but I knew they had some good Pokemon so I went in regardless. I caught a shiny kirlia in less than 10 encounters.

Years
    i think its just pure luck, i got 3 shinys back to back the other night, Ivysaurs....but i spent 6-8 hours in there looking for a Female ivysaur which i never got...

Its just the fact that its only 3 pokemon, its just a higher increase of chance to encounter the pokemon over and over and get lucky with a shiny.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2016
    I guess it still technically means there's a better chance, but a question on that: Do you have to use the PokeRadar to increase the chance of a shiny or is it getting the same species in a row improves it?

Pr3

Years
    Pokemon only have a chance of having their Hidden Ability if you've been online at the same time as your friend.

That actually isn't true. You only have to see that friend online one time (get their picture). Then offline or not, you have a chance for getting a HA on the pokemon. Tested & true. {:3}

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    My fastest shiny was actually from a friend safari where it was blacked out like that. I had just added the person and we hadn't connected/been online together, but I knew they had some good Pokemon so I went in regardless. I caught a shiny kirlia in less than 10 encounters.

True, but if you only found 1, then it doesn't really prove or disprove anything. What we're looking at is the frequency, which doesn't appear to be so difficult odds. I found two shiny Panchams pretty close together while EV training in the friend safari, for example. I'd assume that the slight chance of finding a shiny will always be there regardless.

Likewise, you can't really base a trend off of what happens with one person either. For that person who finds no shinies in the friend safari, there might be another person who finds 8 in the same amount of time. Taking the average would lead us closer to an actual ratio.

Years
    i've spent quite a good period of time in the friend safaris and not one has shown up... ; n;
    and i dont think the tip theory is true because i tip all the time???
    and my masuda breeding method isnt working well for me either [ 7 boxes of espurrs, not one ; n; ]
    i'm being patient of course, but man, finding my first shiny ever would be awesome uvu
    maybe i'm just not destined to have a shiny :'(
    but i'll keep looking, maybe i just need to spend more time there x wx

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
    Hmmm...well, I was online with some person that I had exchanged FC's with, and began to hunt for a shiny Hawlucha. VERY QUICKLY I got a Shiny Pidgey. Since then, I haven't been able to get any shinies...
    I've been bunting in the Fire Safari, and not one has shown up! Same goes with my Masuda Method Hawlucha's, and from what I'm hearing, MM takes longer this gen than the previous ones.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Well, I got my first(and unique shiny, by the way) at a friend safari. I was just catching ditto's for natures, and suddenly a blue ditto appears. I was in the safari for like a hour or so...And i'm unlucky with the masuda also. 7 boxes of eevees already...

After the ditto encounter i started to actually hunt for those shinies. No luck at all with all the methods(masuda, chaining, even fish chain...)I spend four hours or so into a water safari trying to get a shiny Wartotle...

So yeah, guess it's person based...

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Well, I got my first(and unique shiny, by the way) at a friend safari. I was just catching ditto's for natures, and suddenly a blue ditto appears. I was in the safari for like a hour or so...And i'm unlucky with the masuda also. 7 boxes of eevees already...

After the ditto encounter i started to actually hunt for those shinies. No luck at all with all the methods(masuda, chaining, even fish chain...)I spend four hours or so into a water safari trying to get a shiny Wartotle...

So yeah, guess it's person based...

You bring up a good point regarding finding the shinies... I've found a bunch in the friend safari and in a reasonable amount of time, but unlike you I haven't been catching things (instead one-hit killing everything) AND I have the battle sequences off. What I accomplish in a couple hours (the number of pokemon I run through) may be different from what you do as well.

Back