• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny Chaining via DexNav?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    Hello! today, I joined this community, and I am very excited!

I would first like to ask about Shiny Chaining in OR/AS.
    Has it been proven yet that the DexNav works?
    Ive been working on getting different kinds of shiny pokemon all day, and no results...

any advice?

Thanks,
    Dishonesty

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    I heard and read that the DexNav strategy worked pretty well, so I set out to find my shiny Poochyena. This is what I recommend:

Buy tons of super repels
    Bring pokemon with moves that have plenty of PP
    Be prepared to wait a lonnnggg time

After using the DexNav to hunt for Poochyena for a couple of days (took me over 8 hours total of constant chaining at least), I got to search level 999 and it stopped going up. I alllllmost gave up, but within 100 more encounters I got my golden Poochyena (now nicknamed Aureus Lupus)! So I can say that it does work to a degree, but with all different variations of success... could take less than 100 encounters, and could take over 1000.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Could someone explain how DevNav chaining works? I spent over an hour attempting it, but my search level only got up to 100. Am I missing something?

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Could someone explain how DevNav chaining works? I spent over an hour attempting it, but my search level only got up to 100. Am I missing something?
    Search level 100 means you have seen 100 of that Pokemon. That's a fairly high level.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Dexnav chaining works pretty similar to chaining in the older games with there respective systems.
    Go to a route with your desired Pokemon, use dexnav to find said Pokemon, sneak and fight Pokemon, you must KO it to keep the chain going, running from the fight ends the chain, once you KO the poke you search with dexnav again and repeat.
    Be sure to use repels to not find random Pokemon while sneaking. And don't scare off the Pokemon because again both will cancel your chain.
    Once on a successful chain (from what I've read on other sites) every 5th Pokemon tends to have something special about it (!) on the dexnav. Whether this be for level, hidden ability, IVs, egg moves etc.
    You can catch a Pokemon and keep the chain alive.
    Just continue until your shiny arrives.
    From what I've heard some people find it by Pokemon 30. Some by Pokemon 200. And some even more.
    Just some patience and consistancy and you'll find it.

Also leaving the route cancels your chain.
    And if your ds is dying or you need to go out but don't want to lose your chain. The recommendation is save, start a dexnav search sneak to the poke. Start the battle then close the ds.
    In sleep during the battle you won't lose your chain

Hope this helps.
    I'll be trying this for a Zorua on Monday I'll post back with how it goes

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    But does a higher Search Level increase your chances of finding a Shiny, or does the chain count separately? I'm up to 345 now and no Shinies yet.

After over 1,000 tries I finally got my shiny poochyena with a chain of 3. I think it would make sense that both search level and chains should increase the chance of getting a shiny slightly, but from my experience chaining didn't really help.

ArcanineWithABow

Cutie Pup
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I been using Dex Nav a lot, mainly for the unique moves, since I am fascinated by that now.

And I wasn't even looking for a shiny, but I found a shiny Wingull. It's a defensive nature too and I looked up that Pelipper is pretty good at defense, so hopefully it has high enough IVs.

Either way I am going to use it post elite four lol.

Dereck_S

Veteran
    Years
  • I know most people here have answered your questions but I just want to say a few things about the nav, first of all I absolutely love the thing, being able to find egg moves so early within the game is a dream for someone who loves playing through the story over and over. Secondly, I caught a shiny zigzagoon my search level was around 350 and my chain was around 170. A couple of comments about that, make sure when chaining that you take caution with NPC's if they move onto a space where your pokemon is hiding then it will break your chain. Also when you're chaining I recommend using a search point, this helps regulate where the pokemon will pop up (minimally 6 to 7 spots away). Farming leppa berries helps with pp of strong/helpfu moves. I use sweet scent to beef of the search number before chaining, also I was able to use sweet scent mid-chain without breaking the chain, although I personally believe that the two are unrelated, it may be possible to build up a chain and then use sweet scent to trigger a horde with higher shiny chances. Anywho I've gathered as much info on the dexnav as soon as I could, if you find anything shockingly concrete on shiny rates or other data numbers please let me know! :)

p.s. When chaining if your search result comes up with nothing don't fret you can run around until the dexnav picks up something on its own or until you can search and find what you want, so long as you encounter and ko/catch it as usual your chain will continue.

Back