• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Gyarados Unnecessary?

Do you agree with there being a Red Gyarados?

• Yes, go shiny Gyarados!

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • No, I get my shinies 100% 1/8,200

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 17 22.1%

• Total voters
    Years
    Do you think that the Gyarados being shiny is unnecessary, as it is just one huge shiny giveaway?
    If so, why?
    If not, why not?

Years
    As one of the key new features of the new generation, it would be a good idea for fans to know that it exists so that they don't go all skeptical on their existance.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    It was probably added to introduce the new shiny pokemon.

A big freaking flash ought to make little children aware of a kewl pokemon, and then want to collect more; as a result, they will play more and buy more games.

/Nintendo spirit drifts away and her mind becomes mush

Jarin

In ur DS, stealin ur pogymons!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    As stated above, I think it was to inform players that shiny Pokemon existed.

DarknessSneasel

Master of Dark
    Years
    As said it was a way to intorduce shinies to the game and also it was linked with the story of the team rocket base which you entered with lance because they were forcing magikarp to evolve and as a result was a red 1.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    if you look it up online and whatnot, technically the red gyrados isnt a shiny pokemon

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I put Yes, though My response is yes and no.
    The story line including Lance, Team Rocket, and Gyarados was pretty good
    i dont like the fact that they aloud u to be able to catch it. Should have made it uncatchablle.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Now this topic is...
    ...ANY bit of minimal story development in a pkmn game is paramount even if they don't take the time to explain it. As we know from the anime, Project R (if that's what it was called) used the strnage radio waves to forcibly evolve pkmn to create that ultra-powerful army. The effects were not perfect in practice since the Gyarados retained its red colour from the Magikarp stage. The fact that it was accessible in the games gave Lake of Rage something interesting (does every lake have something important?) instead of just some dude with a Lickitung...and, of course, it was a good way to advertise shiny pkmn; otherwise, kids will think their games are glitched or something (a kid posted at SPPf once that he fainted his shiny Carvanha...I'd do anything for one o' them).

Years
    I'm actually breeding for a shiny Karp.
    I'm just saying.
    Making it so it couldn't be caught would be wrong.
    Especially since it is a major part of the plot.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    if you look it up online and whatnot, technically the red gyrados isnt a shiny pokemon
    It may have been a long time since I played GSC, but I don't remember seeing that theory about retaining its color from its Magikarp state except in the anime, which is not canon. >.< Now, if I do find out it's not a real shiny (as explained by the game), it might change many rules of my Pokémon knowledge.

Anyway, I think that explanation about retaining its color is just a dumb plot device. How do you explain other wild shiny Gyarados? Or shiny Magikarp that obviously evolve into shiny Gyarados? If one of the orange islands had pink Pokémon, viewers could understand a red Gyarados. xD

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    I never saw it as a shiny (and that's not just because I didn't know what a shiny was when I was young and playing GSC). I always thought of it as the Red Gyrados, and will always think of it as a Red Gyrados.
    Not as a Shiny Gyrados.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    As mentioned before - Red Gyarados was put in to tell players that now they could even find different-coloured versions of their Pokemon, with a cool shiny effect and also guaranteed decent stats to boot - well, for those who knew leastways, I think (apparently all Pokemon in 2nd gen games ran on a different IV systems which was what determined whether a Pokemon was shiny). They also told players other Pokemon could be shiny (such as an NPC talking about seeing a shiny (pink?) Butterfree, and the 'Odd Egg' in Crystal which had a 50% chance of being shiny).

Was it necessary to do this - no, not really - but also as mentioned, then people would be going on about their shiny Pokemon, which would for a while have been regarded as false, just like the good, old Mew-under-a-truck/get-a-Pikablue/get-a-Yoshi in a Pokemon game rumors (except for the few who believed those, which is easy enough if you're young and all I suppose). In that regard I think they would have 'needed it' then.

For the storyline; it adds something as well, I suppose. After all, given TR's forceful evolution of Pokemon and all, a Gyarados - which is impressive compared to Magikarp but died to electric attacks, and could be found by fishing - doesn't quite measure up to a Red, shiny Gyarados (I'm ignoring the stuff from the anime about it possible having always been that colour and the red is a side affect as in the game it's shiny IMO, and games =/= anime). It does add that extra bit to it, which is certainly enough for children playing it. Was for me leastways. :P

But for this discussion on whether it really is a shiny or not... well, IMHO, it's a shiny Pokemon, as I take shiny Pokemon to be ones who have a different colour, and in the case of GSC ones - a Pokemon that also comes with certain IVs going by game mechanics. Sure - it's a given that it is a shiny Pokemon, but it still is a shiny Pokemon to me - just an easy one to get. Even though I referred to it as the Red shiny Gyarados...

After all; in D/P/Pt, you can get shiny Pokemon in an easier fashion thanks to chaining (and never mind the fact you can also trade for one with Wi-Fi), and in GSC, you could actually breed for one if you knew that you could (again - certain IVs make a Pokemon shiny - one 'shiny' parent led to... a 1-in-256 chance, and 2 shiny parents a mere 1-in-64 chance of the offspring being shiny IIRC).

Looking at this question from the point of view of the child I was when I played Silver though - I'd wonder why people think it unnecessary when we were talking about a _Red shiny Gyarados_ here. XD

Back