• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny hunting via hordes

FairyFoxx

Poke' Breeder
Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I've heard it's (slightly) easier to catch shinies via horde battles using sweet scent. Well i've been trying for about an hour now. Is there something i'm not doing right? I've just been doing a wash rinse and repeat of sweet scent and running from the battle.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
    Years
  • No, you're doing all right. You just have to keep trying. It normally will take you a longer time than just an hour, but don't get discouraged!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I've heard it's (slightly) easier to catch shinies via horde battles using sweet scent. Well i've been trying for about an hour now. Is there something i'm not doing right? I've just been doing a wash rinse and repeat of sweet scent and running from the battle.

I know that feel, I've spent around 13 hours(not straight but kept it in power save mode) hoard hunting and nothing yet. I am hoping it shines soon and is a klefki.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    Found a spinda looking for swablu took about half an hour. Then was in that one cave left of the breeder house for about 6 hours between 5 days and found a whismur. Sweet scent works just need tons of patience.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Best off chaining or breeding if you can deal with the effort instead, the chances for a random encounter (even horde) are really tiny.

If you really want to do it this way, like everyone says, patience is key. You may look for days/weeks/etc. before you find anything, or maybe not. It's all up to chance.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Is it possible to chain horde battles because that would increase your chances by an insane amount.

Now there's something interesting...if the odds stacked like that that would be crazy. But I don't know if the Pokeradar has hordes in shaking grass -- I've never seen it, at least.

Has anyone tried this?

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
  • Now there's something interesting...if the odds stacked like that that would be crazy. But I don't know if the Pokeradar has hordes in shaking grass -- I've never seen it, at least.

Has anyone tried this?

i think he means stand in one place and keep using honey/sweet scent a bit like chain fishing

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Horde battles does make it easier to run into shinies, but it still may take you some time, though; you have to be patient. Since people have answered your question already, by the way, I'm going to close this if you don't mind. ^^" If there are any other questions that you wish to ask, hop onto this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309881

Thread locked.

EDIT: Actually, I could see a good discussion coming out of this, sooo… unlocked!

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Now there's something interesting...if the odds stacked like that that would be crazy. But I don't know if the Pokeradar has hordes in shaking grass -- I've never seen it, at least.

Has anyone tried this?

Actually i would say yes. I was summoning hoards of klefkis and accidentally used the pokeradar went in one patch beat the klefki and then summoned a hoard of them and the chain kept going. It broke after 2 hoards though, because a foongus hoard showed up.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • Actually i would say yes. I was summoning hoards of klefkis and accidentally used the pokeradar went in one patch beat the klefki and then summoned a hoard of them and the chain kept going. It broke after 2 hoards though, because a foongus hoard showed up.
    So, how did you do this? Sweet scent then Pokeradar straight away?

Fritzymayne

Tubes and Dudes
    Years
  • I thought that the method by horde battles was just mathematically better, I.E. getting 5 pokes at once versus one. Did they make the rate higher via programming as well?

FairyFoxx

Poke' Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I heard it does but i've also heard that it doesn't the odds are fixed for hordes so it's not any easier but i have seen lots of post about horde shinies on tumblr even hordes with two shinies

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 6, 2016
    If this works then i've yet to encounter it. I came across my shiny Wingull and Pawniard in horde battles but i didn't spam them like you do with chain fishing. But when i do chain sweet scent i don't get any shiny show up at all, and i use it a lot. I might just spend a whole day trying this out and see if it comes up with anything.

Back