• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Lugia?

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
Years
  • Do you think its possible that if i save at lugia and continue reloading over and over and over that eventually it will become shiny or is the shiny on the lugia detirmined at the games start?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I don't know how soft-reseting works in GSC, but if it's the same for the 3rd and 4th generation, yes, it should be the same.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • To confirm: Shiny ratios for the birds are the same as every Pokemon (i.e. determined at encounter), so yeah, you can get a shiny Lugia by soft resetting. It'll just take awhile.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Some pokemon are, like invisible-chan said, predetermined in the game.
    it may work by soft resetting, but it may also always be non shiny for you.
    the latter is much less possible because since other pokemon from 3-4 generation can be shiny by SR-ing, it should be the same for all legendaries in 2nd season.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    You can try soft resetting. ;] I tried doing it once on the snorlax in my silver and I tried sooo many times and no shiny, so idk... lol

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • To confirm again: Yes, Lugia's shininess is determined as soon as you encounter it. I know this for a fact after having encountered one in Crystal. (Yes, yes, I know it's "pics or it didn't happen" for things like this, but trust me. Lugia and Ho-oh are not among those Pokemon whose shininess are determined at the start of a new game.) If you'd like concrete proof of this, try doing a search for Lugia and shiny ratios on Google. *shrug* Or I could do it for you. Either way.

In any case, the problem is that shinies are incredibly rare in the GSC era (even moreso than they are nowadays, if I recall correctly), so you'll be soft resetting for awhile.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
    Years
  • I don't know about soft resetting, but in Pokemon Silver/Crystal, the first time i encountered Lugia, it's sprite changed from white with a blue belly, to white with a red belly. That was the first shiny pokemon i ever caught.

MasterZman

The Shadow...
    Years
  • Do you think its possible that if i save at lugia and continue reloading over and over and over that eventually it will become shiny or is the shiny on the lugia detirmined at the games start?
    Yes it will i got a shiny one but i got it on the first try no turning the game off(No Gameshark) because i did it on the gameboy.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • ...That's soft-resetting, A+B+Start+Select, and works perfectly in my Gold Version in my GBC o_o

nevaforget

Im gonna regret right now....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2008
    Im pretty sure that the Legendary Dogs are the pokemon thats shiny value is set at the start of the game, unlike those were you can soft reset.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Yeah you can soft reset, though if I were you I wouldn't waste my time on trying to find one. x__x The last time I tried to find a shiny I ended up breeding over 18 some boxes of Charmander and just my luck; not one of them a shiny. So yeah, I would just let them come to you. Don't go looking for them, just play the game and hopefully one shows up. It happened to me twice. :)

-Neko

Back