• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Pokémon

yomamathecableguy

Has a lot of projects going on
    Years
    just wondering, If I breed say a male shiny with a female non-shiny of a different species do I still get the reduced odds?

a lot of factors go into figuring out the odds while breeding. things like gender, gender ratios, and genes. you can't really tell what the odds will be with that information. they could be anywhere from 0:1 to 1:32

PoetikaL

The Shiny Hunter
    Years
    It was a good idea, it gives people more of an incentive to keep on playing.

I still remember when I first encountered my first shiny in Silver. I was bored and I was fishing in the Cerulean Gym, just doing nothing. All of a sudden I get a tug on my Super Rod. It was a Kingler, didn't think any of it. All of sudden it flashed and it was silver!!! First I thought it was a glitch. I had no Poke balls on me and I had no choice to kill it. At the point I kept fishing, hoping to get another chance to encounter that Kingler.... but it never happened again. Good times good times.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    I have a shiny spearow on silver... (so ashamed)
    and the red gyarados but i dont count that.

in SHINY gold I caught shiny ho-oh on my like millionth attempt of trying to catch him

my cousin versed a trainer who had a red gyarados or something?
    is this possible?

Guitar God in Training

Glam Metal Rules
    Years
    The Espeon is set to be shiny for some reason, but it is one of only two in game trainers who have shiny pokemon. They are both in the FR/LG battle tower.

Anyway, in generation 2 I only ever saw 3 legit(no codes) shinys other than Gyarados. One from the Crystal mystery egg Smoochum (which has a 50% chance of being shiny), a Kakuna, and a pidgey which appeared before i got any pokeballs.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
    Apart from Gyarados (lol) I've only ever seen one shiny. I've never before had a shiny since the games came out and this was the unfortunate time I saw it: After playing for hours I gave my friend a go on Pokémon Gold. The first battle he had was a shiny sunkern and he just said "Yeah, kill it!" and used an annoyingly powerful attack before I could stop him. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2016
    On Crystal, the only shiny I got other then Gyarados was an Elekid from the Odd Egg. Although, I nearly got a Shiny Rayquaza on my Ruby! It had been using Outrage, and was at barely any health. Before I caught it, the confusion from Outrage killed it!!! I was about to chuck my SP at the wall I was so angry!

Years
    They were kinda hard to tell if they were shiny because of the colors limit thing, I remember once I caught a lime-green tangela; I only knew it was shiny because of the sparkle.

PokeFan187

Pikachu Fanatic ~ ⋆
    Years
    The only Shiny Pokemon I've caught in my Crystal are Gyarados, Noctowl, and a Donphan :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2011
    A shiny Rhyhorn in gold and a shiny Ratatta in Fire Red.

Honestly, they put Shinies in because after RBY they realized people would refuse to stop playing even after catching all 150 (beating the game) so they added an extra challenge (catching shinies of all the Pokemon) for those who had a lot of time of their hands.

Ruffresia

Johto Coordinator.
    Years
    They are as strong or as weak a non-shiny. I'm sure you knew that

That's true in the third and fourth generations, but not in the second. In G/S/C, Shiny Pokémon have higher status than regular Pokémon, but can't reach the maximum.

But, no, I've never caught a Shiny Pokémon in G/S/C besides that Gyarados.

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
    Years
    a few questions: How do you get a shiny?
    Can you get a shiny on g/s/c?
    How rare are they?
    Which pokemon is the rarest?

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
    Years
    started a new game on crystal, when my egg hatched i got a shiny togepi! ^.^

(dont mind the ??? in the image please)

also, can the shinies appear randomly in the wild just like the suicune or entei?

Last edited:

STK

Char-bok-a!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 6, 2011
    I like shinies. I in Gold, I had (don't know if I still have the data, I haven't seen it in a few years) a shiny Gyarados, Dunsparse, and Cleffa.

Back