• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shiny Pokemon evolution

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Do shiny Pokemon retain their shiny attribute after evolution? I know bulbapedia says they do but I'm not sure if they talk about earlier generations as well. My first and only shiny ever was a golden Nincada. I didn't know that it was rare so I just caught it and evolved it into a Ninjask and discovered Shedinja. But none of those two were shiny.

I'm asking this question here because I know Ninacada is a special Pokemon and splits into two others when evolving. It may be possible that the game used to write codes for Pokemon from scratch in Gen III so that happened to me?

HALP!

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    They retain their shiny nature. Ninjask and Shedinja's shinies are just very similar to their normal appearance.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • It should stay shiny when it evolves because evolution doesn't change it's Personality values. Additionally, the original Trainer values are saved with the pokemon, so even a traded one will stay shiny after an evolution. If yours didn't, I don't know what to tell you... Maybe you just thought it wasn't shiny because the pallet's look a similar?

Years
  • Like the others said, if a shiny Pokemon evolves it retains its shininess since personality value and IVs don't change upon evolution.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Unless you're hacking, the personality value (which is part of what determines shininess, along with OT ID) will never change. The only way a Pokemon could lose or gain shininess is if its OT ID gets changed, and in the actual games, that only happens under two situations.

First is the Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum and XD. When initially generated, they get a random personality value and the OT ID of the trainer who owns them. When Wes/Michael snags them, the game overwrites the OT ID with that of Wes/Michael (mainly so it doesn't act like a traded Pokemon).

Because of this, it is possible for a Shadow Pokemon to be shiny before snagging it, but lose it upon being caught. It's also possible for a Shadow Pokemon to suddenly become Shiny when you catch it.

But, of course, XD and Colosseum are side-games. What about the main series games? Well, there's a similar situation that happens with eggs.

When generated, eggs will be given the OT ID of whoever obtained the egg. This will later be overwritten with the OT ID of whoever hatched the egg. However, the weird thing is that this occurs after the hatching animation.

This means that it is possible for traded eggs to be shiny in the hatching animation (if its personality value and the original breeder's OT ID results in it being shiny), but then not actually be shiny (if the hatcher's OT ID results in it not being shiny), or vice versa.

This mechanism used to be (and possibly still is) the only way to get a shiny Manaphy. Back in the original Pokemon Ranger, you could get a Manaphy egg to send to Diamond and Pearl. When the egg is transferred, the game is programmed to continue to reroll its personality value to ensure that it will never be shiny; however, you could get around this by trading the egg to a different game, because hatching doesn't modify the personality value.

Years
  • I don't see why your Pokemon wouldn't retain its shininess- but maybe Shedinja and Ninjask have color palettes very similar to the originals (I'm color blind, so I'll just take everyone's word for this one). A trick to use if you're ever unsure if you've got a shiny Pokemon though, is to check the status screen of your Pokemon- shiny Pokemon will have their Pokedex number colored gold, whereas every other Pokemon's number is colored white.

Years
  • As Brendino said, some Pokemon's shiny colouring isn't very different from their usual but you can always detect a shiny in the summary screen because it has a red star present, and their number in the Pokedex is gold as mentioned.

Lysandr

"The Greninja"
    Years
  • If a Pokemon lost it's shiny attribute after evolution, I would be done. Just done. I would go and cry for a few hours...

Back