• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Shiny Pokemon

Years
  • Okay, this is kind of emberassing. Since I know almost all of the people on this website have a lot of Shiny Pokemon but... I have never caught any type of Shiny Pokemon.... EVER. I've never even seen one. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on locating Shiny Pokemon.

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
    Years
  • ur probley not good at using pokeradar its the most common and best way to get a shiny wats ur highest chain?

okay, so witht he pokeradar? What do I do? Just keep using it until I find a shiny patch of grass?

well its more complacting than that..ur goal as a shiny hunter is to get a chain of 40 and start resting until u get a shiny here ill post a vid up here soon to help u =]

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dkeKPlBYYbs this is a good vid to help u out watch it as much time as need to understand because its kinda confusing

Last edited:

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
  • I'm with you there. You'll definately need the Pokemon Radar to be able to catch one. I also suggest to browse a few shiny guides which could help too. The highest chain I've ever achieved were seven Skitty. Which is annoying considering you have to get atleast a chain of 40, as shinyhunter011 stated. D:

UGAtyler07

Banned
    Years
  • Yes, chaining is THE BEST way to get a shiny. I was chaining Chatot. I got a chain of a4 and the next was a shiny. Check other forums on PC to find the Pokeradar guide. It will help extremely. Once you read the guide and practice for maybe a couple of hours, you will get the hang of it and you will be catching shinies like CRAZY. Good luck!!

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
    Years
  • chaizard man if u need any help/ new vids just pm me or keep in touch on this thread and i can help u out any way possible...pokeradar isnt the only way but the best, u can all SR(soft resting, way to get shinies legends) egg or just plain good oh luck

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Chaining is the best way to get yourself a legit shiny Pokemon. If you try it, try some easy targets first, such as common Pokemon, or Electric types with your leading Pokemon having Static (ups the chance of electric types appearing)

Chaining/using the Pokeradar - a simple Google search will lead you to some guides, showing you how to do so. Key things you need are LOTS of repels, killing Poke with decent PP for moves, Pokeballs of some kind or another, Catching poke for the harder-to-catch ones (status effects, false swipe, Shadow Tag/Arena trap for running-way pokes), and patience.

Otherwise - it's random luck. Every Pokemon (bar maybe some events or that) have a 1 in 8182 chance of being shiny to be exact in 2nd gen and up games - including legendaries and Shadow Pokemon. So finding a shiny requires some luck. For me, I've encountered a shiny Pidgey and Sentret in Silver, shiny Zubat and Exeggcute in 3rd gen games, and shiny Tentacool in Diamond through sheer luck, which is pretty lucky I guess. Done a fair bit of chaining as well.

Execptions to the 1 in 8182 - the Red Gyradoes in GSC (It is always a shiny), and the 'odd egg' in Crystal had a 1 in 2 chance of being shiny.

Some people soft reset for shinies - such as legendaries - save before the battle, start battle, if not a shiny, soft reset/turn off and repeat, but one can be doing that for a long time. Some also try hatching for shinies - the only way for Pokes like Starters if you don't soft-reset at the beginning of the game. But on average, one would have to do it over 8000 times... hmm.
    So chaining is your best, legit bet.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Bobandbill is correct. Instead of wondering the grass, soft resting, breeding.. use the art of chaining! Also, i would absolutely NEVER get an action replay, as when you get a hacked shiny, well, it doesn't feel right, really.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    yea as people have said the pokerader is the way to go, there are some basic rules of using it.

1, dont go into the corner squares
    2, take lots of max repels, any random encounter will break the chain
    3, never go into the shaking grass right next to you.
    4, unless you see 4 shaking bits of grass, NEVER go into the square behind you

that covers the basics pretty much

Years
  • Thanks guys, but I've tried alot of guides. They all confuse me, I've tried to chain and stuff. But it's always different pokemon, first swellow, then shellos, then buizel.

UGAtyler07

Banned
    Years
  • i know this took me a long time to get. First off, you have to either faint or catch the wild pokemon. Also, after yopu faint the first pokemon, make sure the next squares you go into shake in the EXACT smae way the others did, and go for the patch furthest away that is not next to the edge or next to something that would jut into the grass, ex. trees. Also, dont be afraid to reset the pokeradar alot. If you doubt the batch youve been delt, reset. Once you get a chain of 40 and above (i stop at 42) keep reseting the pokeradar till you see a shiny patch. Also, if you activated the pokeradar, and your max repel ran out, use another max repel AND RESET the pokeradar. If you dont youll break the chain. I will help you out if you still need help. Good Luck, ...again, lol.

Back