• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Starters?

brinazarski

AKA Spotted or Poke'ShipperNya
Years
  • I imagine you can get shiny starters from an egg, but what about at the beginning of the game? Can you soft reset for a shiny starter? There's one video on YouTube but the person got the shiny starter on the first try, and it was on an emulator... I can't find anything else confirming if you actually can get a shiny starter.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    I got so many shiny starter from red and blue version especially bulbasaur, if i transfer 1 gen game to 2 gen game there was so many shiny i got. O_O!
    But from normally gold/silver/crystal i never got sadly a starter shiny. .__.''

Years
  • It is possible to get a shiny starter without breeding, but just remember that the mechanics that determined gender in this generation caused all shiny starters (and other Pokemon with an 87.5% chance of being male) to always be male.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Shininess in GSC is determined by IVs/DVs. Therefore, you will get a shiny every time the game generates the right combination of IVs. The odds of this happening are about 1/8192, I believe, so with enough attempts, odds are that you'll get a shiny starter.

The limitation on gender stems from the fact that both gender and shininess are based on IVs. In gen II (to assign a gender to Pokemon sent over from gen I), Pokemon in the lower portion of the IV spread for attack are female, while those higher up are male (so males are physically "stronger" attack-wise than females). The cutoff for this is determined by the Pokemon's gender ratio. Since starters are 1/8 female (1 female: 7 males), and IVs in gen II range from 0-15, the bottom eighth of the attack IVs (0 and 1) are the female IVs, and the others are male IVs. Shiny Pokemon can't have an attack IV of 0 or 1, so female starters cannot be shiny.

My starter on Red (Blastoise) showed up as shiny when viewed by a gen II game. That meant that it had a particular set of IVs (10s for a lot of them, and some variability in the others), which made it compatible with gen II's shininess component.

brinazarski

AKA Spotted or Poke'ShipperNya
    Years
  • Yeah, hence the quotes. It just seems odd to me that some people might have gotten shiny starters and not posted about it. Maybe they're more IV-locked in a sense. I don't really know.

Last edited:
    Back