• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Shiny Stories

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
    We all have at least got our own shiny through in-game methods at least once in our lifetime. I remember my first shiny, which was a Tepig in Pokemon White. I felt like re-playing the game, so I reset my profile, and I chose Tepig as my starter. I send it out against my first rival battle against Bianca , and I see sparkles shine around it. I start freaking out, because I never had a shiny before. I didn't expect to even get a shiny Tepig, since I wasn't trying to in the first place. That was probably my luckiest event that happened in any of my adventures. I would like to know everyone else's shiny stories, so feel free to share any that you'd like to share!

EDIT: Could someone please take out the Weekly Poll prefix? I made a mistake and I don't know how to reverse it XD

EDIT 2: Keep in mind, the stories you share should ONLY be stories from the games in Generation 5. Sorry I didn't mention this sooner, heh.

Last edited:

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I got a couple. Most I've found completely randomly without really looking for them. Seems like several of the ones I was actually looking for came pretty quickly, too.

I used to keep a record of the exact date on which I found them, but I've since then lost most of the dates. I know the order in which I got them, though.

I got Torchic in Emerald, years back. Actually started trying for it way before I got it. I don't really know when, but probably like, a year prior to that. I've restarted a few times since I started trying, took breaks, etc.

The very first day I started SRing for it, I actually ended up running into a shiny Zigzagoon. I was annoyed, to say the least. Ended up restarting that save afterwards. I think I played the game normally, and ended up restarting a bit later, trying again for shiny Torchic. Done that a couple times, taking breaks, restarting the save file, trying again for a bit, etc.

Then eventually, I start one save file, and I stick to it for a while, just SRing for Torchic while doing other stuff on the computer. I got it in the end.

Then years later, I find out about the broken RNG in Emerald. No wonder it took me forever to get it, heh. It probably helped that I restarted several times and was SRing under different ID/SID combinations every so often. Also makes me realize that if I had stuck to the first save, where I found the shiny Zigzagoon, I would've gotten it eventually :p
    Ended up checking my ID and SID in RNG Reporter, was curious to see where that shiny frame was. Was at 36.90 seconds. Pretty lucky IMO, since that meant I must have gotten distracted by something and let the game running on its own for a little bit before realizing and resuming my SRing, and that attempt was the one where I landed exactly on the right frame for it to be shiny (most other attempts could probably never be shiny, since I was paying attention and it takes much less than 30 seconds, from starting up the game and selecting my starter.)

That one was on January 7th 2008, I had the date in a forum post I made on some forum I used to frequent way back then, so I went back and got the date from there. :p

Then there was shiny Oddish that I randomly found in Diamond on Route 229. I remember the date for this one, because it was the day before my birthday, so that's pretty memorable, IMO. March 28th 2008. Was kinda unsure about the year actually, but... on March 28th 2009, Platinum was out, and I had moved on to Platinum, so it must have had been 2008.

I had gotten a shiny Oddish completely randomly in Emerald a while before getting that one, and I lost it by restarting the save file. :x So I was pretty happy I'd found a new one. Caught that one in a Luxury Ball, 'cause of the sparkles that come out from the Luxury Ball's animation, matched well with the shiny's sparkles. :p

Then there's shiny Weedle... I was SRing for shiny Charmander in FireRed, then after a while of SRing and getting nothing, I gave up and decided to just play the game. Then I find shiny Weedle in the forest just a few minutes later... >.> I actually like it a lot, Beedrill is pretty cool, even though I hate wasps :p I *think* that one was around July 2008.

Shiny Chimecho, in Diamond. Sometime in December 2008. A few days before December 17th, iirc. Walking through Sendoff Spring, presumably heading towards Giratina. Find shiny Chimecho in the grass, tell my friend on MSN that I just found a shiny Chimecho. I remember the date because it was his birthday a few days later, and I was gonna go to his house for his birthday and I would be showing him there.
    A pretty meh one for me, I'm not particularly a fan of Chimecho. It rolled *terrible* IVs too, has <10 everywhere, except 13 Sp. Def.

Then Roselia in Platinum. Again, no idea about the date, but I was going through Trophy Garden. I don't remember exactly what I was doing there, but I ran into a shiny Roselia. I wish it would have been a Pichu or a Pikachu tbh; male Roserade looks a bit odd to me :p Not gonna complain, though. I remember I just woke up, picked up my DS, was playing in bed, and that's when I found it.

Then I found a shiny Bidoof at some point in Platinum. I had just restarted a new save file, and I was laying on the couch playing while listening to music before going to sleep (we had guests over at the time and I let them use my room, while I slept on the couch in the basement.) Cue the random shiny Bidoof in the grass on Route 203 right after defeating my rival :p To be honest, I was looking for a Bidoof to use as an HM Slave, and couldn't find any Bidoofs... then the one that *did* show up was shiny. I ended up using it as my HM Slave while also using it in my team.

Then there's shiny Ekans that I got in HeartGold. It was near the end of the school year, pretty sure sometime in June. I learned how Voltorb Flip worked, so I was laying there playing Voltorb Flip to earn enough coins to buy five Ekans. Got enough in an evening, then I went to bed and began SRing for them. It came pretty fast, got it the same evening. :D

I wanted to get a Sandshrew in the same way in SoulSilver as well, but never managed to get it. Except I have Japanese SoulSilver so I just bought coins rather than having to play Voltorb Flip, but same diff. :p

Then there was the Enigma Stone event for HG/SS. When that came out in North America and Europe over Wi-Fi, the folks over at the shiny thread on Serebii.net got it and we were kinda competing to see who would get it first. I started SRing for Latios on HG as soon as I got the stone, while also SRing for Latias on SS. I got it the next day, so on August 1st 2010. I was at the computer doing stuff while SRing for it. My friend was here at the time, so when I got it I got to show it to him first thing.

Turned out I was the first to get it on Serebii too, which was pretty funny because I wouldn't have expected that. Oh well, I'm glad I got it really quickly, though!

I then got a shiny Zorua on White via MM breeding. That one came on July 30th 2011. Had almost been a year since I had gotten any shiny at all. Had been months since I started breeding for that Zorua, but I took a break at some point.
    Woke up on July 30th 2011, continued making eggs, and then I saw it hatch on my screen. Its so purdy <3 I definitely prefer Zorua over Zoroark. Shame if I leave it unevolved, it's going to be weaker.

Almost done... next is shiny Latias, that I ended up getting in Ruby, of all places. Well, I mean, I was SRing on SoulSilver with the Enigma Stone, and on Ruby with the Eon Ticket. Had been SRing on SS a while before I even got the Enigma Stone in HG, I believe, so that had been a while, and I still never saw it. It ended up shining in Ruby, though. I'm happy about that tbh, because then it means I got it in English on both my games that I got event item on. Wouldn't have minded Japanese, but like, having it in Japanese breaks the pattern, you see.

Next two shinies were on Japanese versions actually, but that isn't a problem because they lose the Japanese name as they evolve, so they fit in with the others. :p

Got shiny Cyndaquil on SoulSilver, when I decided to pick up both my 3DS and my DS to SR for starters in both HG and SS at the same time, to maximize my odds. Three days later, I was staring at a shiny Cyndaquil on my SoulSilver's screen :p I'm glad it wasn't Totodile at least. Not a fan of Feraligatr.

Then I got shiny Mudkip on Sapphire after like, less than 15 minutes of SRing. No joke. That one was on September 14th 2014. There was Comic Con in Montreal, and I didn't really plan to go, but my sister said she was going so I was like, hey I wanna come too. I thought it would have been more fun and interesting than that and I don't think I'd ever go back, but I digress.

I had brought my SP with Sapphire in it, and I was looking around trying to find something interesting to go check out. I ended up sitting down in some room, something about BioWare. Sitting down listening, I take out my SP, decided I'd start trying for shiny Mudkip. No more than 6-7 SR's later, it showed up on my screen.

Apart from that, I have a shiny Delphox that I hatched after a few hours in Y via Masuda Method, and a shiny Fletchling too, from the same way. I don't really care all that much for these two, though.

On a different note, I feel like it's much more fun to randomly run into a shiny than it is to find one after specifically looking for it. When I randomly find one, gives me that feeling inside. Not expecting it at all, and then you realize you just found a super rare shiny, it's awesome.
    Finding one while searching for it is great too, but you somewhat expect it, since that's specifically what you're trying to get. If you're not really paying attention and just mindlessly SRing, then you might expect it less, though.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I bought Pokemon Black specifically to capture a Cottonee for my team. What I did not expect was having literally my first encounter in Pinwheel Forest a few hours after purchasing BW at midnight release be a shiny Cottonee.....!!!!

I blogged about my excitement and I was legitimately shaking over this random shiny encounter. I have never in my life felt such a feeling, so much excitement. I've been playing Pokemon since 1998 and have put in over a thousand hours into playing the main series, but this moment is something I will never forget. She's my favorite Pokemon I have ever raised.

Posted March 6th, 2011 at 05:13 AM by TwilightBlade

OMG I WAS PLAYING POKEMON BLACK WHILE IN MY BED... YES AT 4 AM.

In Pinwheel forest, I ran into my first Cottonee. 3 hours into the game, 2 badges. My favorite BW Pokemon..... I bought Black just for Erufuun/Whimsicott. And and and omg my first random shiny in forever...

I jumped out of my bed. I'm still all sweaty. I caught her in a heal ball. She needs a nickname. I am shaking so hard lol Pokemonz.
    ~O~
    Shiny Stories
    Shiny Stories

<333

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Despite having the Shiny Charm in W2, I've only encountered one shiny in gen 5 - a shiny Boldore. That said, shiny Boldore has a really awesome colour scheme (blue and purple are my favourite colours!) and I'm happy to have it, though I don't have the heart to evolve it. <3

~Psychic

Years
    I had a similar encounter to Psychic, which was a shiny Boldore but in Black in my case. I accidentally ran from it which was a shame because it does have a nice-looking shiny.

I did make up for it a few months later by catching a shiny Drilbur, who I since evolved into Excadrill. He may not be the best shiny out there but a shiny is still a shiny.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    My best shiny story for gen V is pretty funny and also how most of my random encounter shinies happen, haha. Anyway, years ago when I was doing my Hall of Fame challenge, I would train my teams in the Giant Chasm. I was talking to a user from here, Karpman, who no longer comes on anymore, but I was telling him that since I was always in that area in the game, it'd be great if I found a shiny. I specifically said Metang would be the best. So guess who found a shiny Metang not long after saying that? This girl. lol

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't have a lot of playtime in Gen V because it wasn't exactly my favorite gen, although I was lucky to get a shiny Zebstrika with a 31 IV in Atk.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    My first shiny ever was a shiny Boldore I caught in Victory Road, but I had no idea what it was.

It was in the middle of math class (I got my work done early), and since Black was my first game I had no idea what a shiny was. I was really confused at this blue Boldore considering I was already using a regular Gigalith in my party, so I turn to my friend who knew everything about pokemon and asked him about it.

He immediately rips my DS from my hands and runs to everyone in the classroom showing everyone my encounter. He didn't even explain to me what was going on until after he was done running around. He hands it back to me and gives a shout of joy when I catch it. I traded it to him so I could have a shiny Gigalith, and I then used it to crush the elite four and some of my friends. And that's also why Gigalith is one of my favorite pokemon.

Years
    My first ever shiny encounter was a Machop. Thing is, my encounter doesn't have a happy ending. I accidentally made him faint because I was trying to get his health down as low as possible so I could catch him easily. I basically sat there staring at "Machop fainted!" for a good five minutes, then I shut down my DS and didn't touch it for the rest of the day. {XD}

But I guess what made up for this was when a shiny Zorua hatched from an egg I was riding around with. When that little guy hatched, I was super happy. So hey, all's well that ends well. :P

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
    Well, I got a shiny Audino while farming for some exp. Probably my first shiny ever, without counting with Gyarados from G/S - HG/SS

araceli

somewhere between the sea and the sky
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Nov 2, 2015
    oh god. this.. this is not a good memory.
    basically, we were on a road trip, and my brother was whining because he had nothing to do, so i finally caved in and gave him my DS.
    i was playing SoulSilver, on a hunt for Raikou. obviously, i had prepared. i had my trusty umbreon, with mean look, and a couple dozen ultra balls.
    i was set. my brother had played pokemon before, so i wasn't that worried he'd screw things up. besides, this was route 1.
    "just.. tell me if you find raikou, alright?''
    he nodded enthusiastically.
    i should have known...
    five minutes later, i hear a shriek.
    "NONONONO!"
    i grab the DS from his hands. "what?!"
    "t-the repel didn't work"
    "what?!"
    I look down at the screen to see the beginnings of the battle animation screen. it wasn't Raikou. sighing, i hand it back. "just run"
    the exact moment i hand the console back to my brother, i see these pretty flashing sparkly crystals bursting from what looks like a pink furret.
    but it's too late.
    my brother tapped run, and it was all over. the rest of the car ride was painful. tl;dr: i told my brother to flee from a majestic shiny furret

Last edited:

GilliTheFabulous

Shiny Hunter, Collector, and Breeder
    Years
    Well this isn't just a gen 5 shiny story but my first shiny ever story.

I had heard of shiny pokemon and I knew they weren't just myths. However, I had never wanted to find a shiny. I just spent my time playing the games and training my team. I had gotten to a point where I needed to grind, so I headed over the abundant shrine in my pokemon white version. I ran back and fourth knocking out whatever appeared. I had looked away for a split second when I heard a sound. I had never heard this before and it sounded akin to a bell chiming. I looked down just in time to catch the sparkles over a shiny Petilil. I freaked out and my eyes widened. I threw some balls at it until it stayed in and caught it. I called it Lilly(because I was terrible at nicknames back then) and threw her on my team. She was a great addition and when Lilly evolved her petals turned into this beautiful blue color.

Shiny Stories
    Shiny Stories

I eventually traded her away for a shiny Golem and regretted it.

I still have her to this day. I found her through friend safari after a mere 5 encounters. :)

Back