• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shiny's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Just wondering about the odds of running into a shiny in Leaf green. I heard once that you get one every 40 hours of gameplay, or that its 1 in every 2700 or so.
    Anyone know what the real odds are for it?
    And was it like that for G/S/C? (just wondering also for someone else)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • 1/8192.

It doesn't matter how many hours you play. It's a random chance. ^^

GSC is the same; however, if you breed a shiny, you have a good chance of hatching a baby shiny.

Edit: Yeah, the breeding trick only works in GSC. Not 3rd or 4th gen..

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2009
    WO, thats a mad ratio, No wonder hardly any1 see them
    Only red Garydos right

Phaizar

Master Trainer
    Years
  • I saw one once, in the wild, once upon a time. It was a wingull but i didn't have any pokeballs :(.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Like everyone else said its 1 in 8192 chances of getting a shiny... My first shiny in Leafgreen was my shiny charmander which is now a black charizard now! =D

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    1/8192 would take forever and even in that time you might not even get one but you could breed if you already had one.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • 1/8192 would take forever and even in that time you might not even get one but you could breed if you already had one.

Depends. In the advanced generation, breeding a shiny doesn't increase the odds, while it does increase the odds in the metal generation. Also, One trick I seem to remember was an automatic shiny ditto in the metal generation. I really should post that in the glitch thread there. Oh, and I remember hearing a lot of people claiming that Emerald's shiny ratio was off, because so many more people were getting shinies than in any other game. I can't prove this either way, but my first shiny in the Advanced generation was 10 minutes into Emerald, after I had already caught and evolved every currently available Pokemon in both Sapphire and LeafGreen. My brother caught two shinies in his copy of Emerald before he got to his first in-game hour.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Eh, I've never seen a Shiny before...except in LeafGreen, where that PokeThief I was battling had a Shiny Ratatta...

Years
  • Well, I got my first 2 Shinies in FireRed rather quickly.. A shiny Caterpie (Who's now a Butterfree) and shiny Spearow.

I heard something about that too, that the Emerald thing with Shinies is glitchy, the RNG (Random Number Generator) seems to be off. You can encounter a shiny if you can find your Secret ID (wich has to be done with a R4) and download a program off the internet, and then you can see how many seconds you must wait to encounter a Shiny.

At least, that's what I've heard and seen.

brinazarski

AKA Spotted or Poke'ShipperNya
    Years
  • I NEVER found a shiny my whole life playing Pokemon, until I was playing Pokemon Silver in the summer. I was in a cave and found a shiny Geodude, and the only Pokemon I had was a water Pokemon that was a higher level. I couldn't catch it without lowering it's HP, and then my Pokemon made it faint ;-; I was sooooo upset xDD

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
  • The only shiny I've gotten were traded to me on wifi. Had a shiny Bulbasaur... Hacked though it was in a masterball :( So i traded that for a shiny Eevee

Last edited:

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    i think my first shiny was an unown and i was OMFG THIS POKEMON IS PWNING and i took it directly to the elite four.. then it fainted XD
    that was on crystal my first shiny in emerald was a shiny starmie nicknamed star and in the 4th gen never went to come.. i played a bit of diamond and now i wait for platinum.. with a hope that the gray bar that passes through the HP bar would disappear! (ill still get platinum even if it's not)

bearsfan092

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    The odds were 1/8192, regardless of the pokemon. Emerald had an abusable RNG that you could use to influence Shinyness, IV's, and Natures.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • This thread hasn't been posted in since March. :( I'm sure there's a more recent shiny thread around and, if not, why not just make one yourself?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back