• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    No May deserves better than Ash.. Drew and her had chemistry.

And Ash will always be oblivious... Unless a feisty redhead demands what she wants and he complies

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    No May deserves better than Ash.. Drew and her had chemistry.

And Ash will always be oblivious... Unless a feisty redhead demands what she wants and he complies

Ash and May also has better chemistry , It atleast much better then Ash and Serena.
    Also , May and Drew are rival so they suppose to have good chemistry However it was mainly tied to Drew not respecting May and she seeking his respect.
    But , The chemistry will fade away once they gain full respect for one another ! Just like Ash & Gary's chemistry is no longer like the Original series.
    You must have notice that on Battle Frontier , May & Drew becoming more and more formal since Drew can no longer insult May.
    Furthermore , Have you ever imagine The married life between Two Top Coordinator who does the same thing and competing against each other to achieve that same thing ? It explain why Ash never had a Cute tsundere Female rival as his main Love-Interest.

Also , Why does Drew is far better for May then Ash ?
    It is because he hot , handsome , dazzling and sparking like those heroes form Shoujo Manga.
    While Ash just average looking boy with spiky hair and 2 Z under his eye.
    I hate Shoujo anime/Manga because the Protagonist always end up with Hot , Dazzling popular guys just because those anime are watched by girls and they doesn't like Protagonist choosing an average and Ordinary guy over hot guy.
    Even though , Girls expect Boys to be happy with Protagonist settling with average looking girls.
    There are Shouene anime where Protagonist had to settle with ugly and totally unattractive girls.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    We will agree to disagree.. There is no way that Ash and May had any chemistry in that aspect. She was my fave protagonist female and She and Drew could have become Leaders of the contest world as a pair.

Ash is a courageous, yet, oblivious guy who is focused elsewhere. He needs a partner that will take him by surprise and demand romance.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Haruka's final goodbye in AG, when she just kind of randomly announces that she's splitting up from Satoshi and Takeshi, kind of says it all about where their personal relationship was at the end of that series. That's not to say they weren't clearly meant to be good friends who cared a good deal about each other, just that the anime didn't put as much emphasis on Satoshi's friendship with Haruka as they did Kasumi or Hikari or Serena.

By contrast, Shuu is clearly meant to occupy a special place in Haruka's narrative. Not just because he's her rival, but because it's Shuu who teaches Haruka the important lessons about Contests, believing in herself and her Pokémon, etc. It's Shuu who really helps Haruka grow as a trainer, and that's what makes their dynamic better than Satoshi and Haruka's. I'm no Contestshipper – I actually preferred Advanceshipping back during that period – but there's no contest (pun unintended :p) here.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • Yeah, I never shipped Satoshi and Haruka personally. They made really good friends, and I liked how they got along, but any deeper bond Haruka had with anyone in that series kind of went to Shuu. He's the one that she was always focused on, and he was clearly focused on her. I liked their chemistry as rivals and any other thing that might come out of it. Also, her reason for leaving Satoshi and Takeshi was because she was going to Johto, which I would venture had something to do with Shuu being there. Or at least, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that. After all these years, I wanna say that's not just the fact that I used to be a Contestshipper getting in the way of my judgement.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    We will agree to disagree.. There is no way that Ash and May had any chemistry in that aspect. She was my fave protagonist female and She and Drew could have become Leaders of the contest world as a pair.

Ash is a courageous, yet, oblivious guy who is focused elsewhere. He needs a partner that will take him by surprise and demand romance.

Contest aren't Gym that has leader , Its a competition!
    There is no leader as a pair , May and Drew deem to compete against one another until one of them quit while another one free to pursue his goal.

Ash shown similar connection with Gary and Paul But May & Drew are in opposite gender so people often think them as couple.
    Drew helped May to become a good Coordinator just like Gary and Zoey helped Ash and Dawn to become a better trainer and coordinator.
    However , it was Ash who taught May about the relationship between Human and Pokemon. He was the one who helped May becoming a capable trainer before she even meet Drew.
    I mean , Do you think Drew would liked a Pokemon hater like May who using Pokemon as a excuse for travel.
    The May that Ash met and The May that Drew met were different!
    Furthermore , Ash saved May's life multiple time ! There no point of contest if May wasn't even alive to compete in it.

As for Chemistry , Ash and May would be the most closet of becoming canon if it wasn't for Drew.
    They have more romantic moment that beat Serena's One-side hints.
    They even have a full Advanceshippy Movie !
    Plus , May is the only one who share an object with Ash! A half cut ribbon that helps her in Jotho.
    By the way , Don't try bringing Serena's ribbon because Serena doesn't share it with Ash!

Also , Ash is just 10 year old , He suppose to be oblivious !I don't get who stupider ! Ash who's oblivious about Love and The Guy who want a 10 year boy to have a "Serious relationship".
    Also , Ash was attracted to Giselle which prove that girls does attract him ! Serena simply wasn't pretty enough to attract him .
    Ash will start understand "Love" when he will become a Teenager and hit Puberty.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    I don't ship Ash with anyone romantically. Platonic ally though I ship him with everyone.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't ship Ash with anyone romantically. Platonic ally though I ship him with everyone.

This is cute, I totally agree with platonic Ash ships.

As for random ships, one of my least favorite ships is Jessie x James. :x Honestly, I cannot see this work. Speaking of that, guys, are there any ships you feel just... don't work? For you, at least?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Plot Twist : Ash marries Giselle in the future !
    That's make sense , She is the only girl that Ash was attracted to ! She unarguably his 1st crush.
    She already pass though the 1st phrase that all other girl failed! So , She just need to change herself for better to marry Ash.
    Its also prove that Ash does get attracted to Cute Girls but his standard is just so freaking high that only Giselle was good enough to match it.

Years
  • This is coming from someone who hasn't kept up with the anime since Battle Frontier but it seems like from what I've seen sprinkled across social media that this "amour" shipping (I think that is correct) is pretty popular and I'm tempted to just keep up with the remainder of the XYZ season for the sole purpose of taking a glimpse at Ash and Serena's relationship. of course Ash and Misty are forever destined to be together so there's that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    This is coming from someone who hasn't kept up with the anime since Battle Frontier but it seems like from what I've seen sprinkled across social media that this "amour" shipping (I think that is correct) is pretty popular and I'm tempted to just keep up with the remainder of the XYZ season for the sole purpose of taking a glimpse at Ash and Serena's relationship. of course Ash and Misty are forever destined to be together so there's that.

Its only because Serena is the first and only Cute girl to have a canonize crush on Ash.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    I am an old school Ash and Misty shipper. The "it only exists in 4Kids dub" stuff is just not true. Did they add their own hints that werent in Japan? Yes. But there were also plenty of hints in the Japanese series that didn't make it into the dub.

Among them, a preview for "Mewtwo Strikes Back" in Japan shows an adult Misty walking with a little girl and Pikachu, with the strong implication that it is Ash and Misty's daughter. I have no idea where this would have fit into the movie itself(maybe a vision of the future brought on by being caught in both Mew and Mewtwo's psychic beams?).

Even without dialogue, the way the characters act towards shows of affection or attention just through body language(especially from Misty) shows that there was more than just friendship there. Ash also had moments too(almost falling off a mountain, calling out a still disobedient Charizard on accident when Misty was interacting with another guy).

The hints were pretty obvious. I don't think anyone argues that Misty had romantic affection for Ash, even non-pokeshippers or fans of other ships. I don't know how anyone could. You could see her slowly but pretty obviously falling in love with Ash in both the English and Japanese versions. IMO, tho, Ash showed plenty of jealous and reciprocated feelings towards Misty as well.

I think the most amazing thing the anime could do would be to bring back Misty to travel with Ash and Serena. The dynamic between Misty and Serena in regards to Ash would be amazing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Actually , It is !
    Pokemon is what you call A "Shouene Kids Anime" ! Basically Anime that are written more on Shouene style.
    Just like Digimon , Bakugun and Yugioh.

Digimon is still a Kodomo, and its even more mature than the actual series of pokémon. So, Pokémon IS A KODOMO.
    Oh, and Yugioh is already shonen, like the manga originaly published for the shonen jump.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Digimon is still a Kodomo, and its even more mature than the actual series of pokémon. So, Pokémon IS A KODOMO.
    Oh, and Yugioh is already shonen, like the manga originaly published for the shonen jump.

Ya , But Kodomo anime has different category.
    For example : There are one category of Kodomo anime that focus on adult like Cryon Shin-chan.

Pokemon is a 3rd category Kids anime which are handled more like a Shouene Anime.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_anime_and_manga

That's Why I don't want Ash to be on relationship since he's just 10 year old ! So Ash and his Love-interest should be treated like A Future couple.
    Basically , Writer has to put hints that indicate that Ash and his Love-interest will be a couple in future.
    For example , I am an Advancehipper .
    So , I want to see Ash and May growing feeling toward one another without realizing it and they will be a couple when they become old enough to have a better understanding of relationship.
    That's Why Serena doesn't count because she already realize her feeling and chase after Ash.
    So there is no competition , Mystery and excitement in Amourshipping.

Honestly , I wish for a girl who prettier then May and really hard to get !
    Example : Kari Kamiya (Digimon Adventure).
    Kari has a perfect guy like TK and Brother-clone like Davis ! But nether one of them seem enough for her which makes her a girl that really hard to get.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Hello, been a along time since I've posted here. My first actual obsessed pairing I was with Ash X Dawn ( Pearlshipping ) However May X Drew ( Contestshipping ) Was one of my top favorite Pokemon pairings. I don't know how any one in the Pokemon Anime fandom can say it wasn't pretty much canon, I mean all the episodes devoted to the pairing, even episodes with just Drew in them had major hints. Though, power to Ash X May shippers ( Advancedshipping ) For still staying strong after all these years.

Now my top favorite pairing is Ash X Serena, I'm hoping she travels with Ash to the next region but after what happened with Dawn who I think was the most popular female companion ever if I remember right. Not to mention Pearlshipping was big in Japan too and she still left, I thought due to her popularity she might just be able to break that curse but yah.

Though with the next series seems to be breaking boundaries even more so than what the previous series have done never say never I guess. Imagine if Ash traveled with two female companions? Why not? Think of all the fun we'd have on hereXD

I'm already gearing up for the next female companion X Ash pairing LOL.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hello, been a along time since I've posted here. My first actual obsessed pairing I was with Ash X Dawn ( Pearlshipping ) However May X Drew ( Contestshipping ) Was one of my top favorite Pokemon pairings. I don't know how any one in the Pokemon Anime fandom can say it wasn't pretty much canon, I mean all the episodes devoted to the pairing, even episodes with just Drew in them had major hints. Though, power to Ash X May shippers ( Advancedshipping ) For still staying strong after all these years.

Now my top favorite pairing is Ash X Serena, I'm hoping she travels with Ash to the next region but after what happened with Dawn who I think was the most popular female companion ever if I remember right. Not to mention Pearlshipping was big in Japan too and she still left, I thought due to her popularity she might just be able to break that curse but yah.

Though with the next series seems to be breaking boundaries even more so than what the previous series have done never say never I guess. Imagine if Ash traveled with two female companions? Why not? Think of all the fun we'd have on hereXD

I'm already gearing up for the next female companion X Ash pairing LOL.

All writer treated May and Drew more like Ash and Gary.
    Only One writer put romantic hint between Drew & May and he is Atsuhiro Tomioka.
    From what I see , It seem many writer and Animator prefer Ash and May including "Hideki Sonoda" who writes the Movies.
    Chances are , Ash and May Suppose to be a couple in Future since childhood couple doesn't last very long.
    Maybe , That Why Both of them share a ribbon.

I don't like Amourshipping , It is completely disappointing compare to PokeShipping , Pearlshipping and Advanceshipping.
    Serena has nothing special except her canon crush on Ash But that doesn't mean Ash must choose her.
    After all , Davis from Digimon Adventure 02 loved Kari but he was rejected despite being the protagonist.
    Even Naruto had to gave up on Sakura and settle with Hinata.
    You know , People are accepting toward female protagonist dumping A Guy for someone hot , popular and athletic. But It become a Serious Crime if Male Protagonist dump a Girl for Someone Hotter , Popular and attractive.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    How many Pokemon fans compare Pokemon pairings to Digimon pairings? I've been seeing this a lot lately for some reason :/

If so many Pokemon Anime writers supported Ash X May pairing, why so few episodes for the pairing? I don't know if this was dub added but even the mom paired May X Drew together. For some reason no one thought of Ash X May as a pair while they were traveling together. Hmm Maybe that episode where Ash and May were fighting but that's all. The films had some hints, film 9 most of all but.

Ironic you bring up Ash X Misty ( Pokeshipping ) That was along with Ash X Iris ( Negishipping ) My least favorite Ash pairings. Maybe I just don't like Ash paired up with pushy girls, back in Kanto I couldn't stand Misty's character and just would rather him be with a nice girl, some one who appreciates him and admires him, Serena or Dawn. I would have been fine with May too but with how every thing down I just preferred her with Drew in the end.

UGH, Don't even get me started on Iris character. I think for once I supported a main female heroine with a side character, Trip or that guy who traveled with them ( Wish shipping ) I just don't want him with mean girls, that's me.

Edit;

Eh? Serena's not the main character, Ash is. I didn't say he has to get with her just cuz she's the main heroine, if that were the case Ash would have gotten together with one of the previous main heroines instead.

OH Gosh! You just named my least favorite few pairings, I was so happy that Naruto got over her. I mean not only was just a bitch to Naruto for so many years for a lot of times no reason but she obviously loved Sasuke over him for looks at first which is awful and as time went on you began to wonder why Sakura still loved him, he betrayed every one towards the end, than I laughed that she got together with him.

I'm not accepting of that idea, I hate when that happens. I felt so bad for Davis in 02 and Tai, why did the girls leave for the pretty ones? I don't even like Matt and found Sora X Matt very random. I do admit I supported T.K X Kari pairing since Adventure series but wish the Anime team gave Davis and Tai happy endings.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Negaishipping?

Ash and Iris were so incompatible, so I have no idea why anyone would ship that... Iris x Cilan was dumb, too. Honestly, Iris is the least shippable of all the girls, just no one works for her. She's too off of a character, in my opinion. Eh, never saw what was so appealing about that ship, anyway. =/ Iris was weird.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    How many Pokemon fans compare Pokemon pairings to Digimon pairings? I've been seeing this a lot lately for some reason :/

If so many Pokemon Anime writers supported Ash X May pairing, why so few episodes for the pairing? I don't know if this was dub added but even the mom paired May X Drew together. For some reason no one thought of Ash X May as a pair while they were traveling together. Hmm Maybe that episode where Ash and May were fighting but that's all. The films had some hints, film 9 most of all but.

There also only few episode with actual contestshipping hint and there were all written by one writer.
    Rest of them show May and Drew as Rival just like Ash and Gary.
    The Very first Advances episode shown a very strong hint when May shout "Yes" when Ash agrees to take her with him in his journey.
    Not to mention , Advanceshipping has more romantic and Shippest scene among all shipping including Amourshipping.
    Spoiler:

Not to mention , That Split ribbon also make both of them more couple-like.

Negaishipping?

Ash and Iris were so incompatible, so I have no idea why anyone would ship that... Iris x Cilan was dumb, too. Honestly, Iris is the least shippable of all the girls, just no one works for her. She's too off of a character, in my opinion. Eh, never saw what was so appealing about that ship, anyway. =/ Iris was weird.

If Iris didn't got Free Dragonite and BW Series didn't sucked then People might have become more supportive of Negaishipping.
    Even now , If Iris reappear with New Look and Personality similar to Kuro from "Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma" to become Ash's rival then Negaishipping might become popular.
    Spoiler:

Iris always meant to be Ash's rival instate of a "Misty-clone traveling Companion". She can only shine as a rival.
    You know ,
    Drew and Iris might make even better couple.
    Drew is a pretty boy from technologically Advanced City who seek beauty though Contest while Iris is a wild tough Girl who seek Strength though Battling.
    They are polar opposite of one another! There aren't many character who are complete opposite like this.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I have had almost no exposure to the original pokemon english dub when I was a kid. All I watched was the original Japanese when it aired and the cd's we watched was also on japanese. So I really didn't get the whole pokeshipping thing until I watched the dub (Personally I don't like the dub, It makes the characters especially Ash/Satoshi sound stupid or in the later seasons inexperienced.)

For me the best pairing in pokemon (and also best girl) is Hikari/Dawn... man Satoshi and Hikari are just so cute together :D and that high five on their reunion gets me every time XD

As for SatoSere its cute in my opinion.Serena is an everyday girl who had no dreams until, Satoshi basically jump started her character growth. She's someone who learned and influenced by being with Satoshi and in some cases Satoshi gets influenced by her, they bring out the best in each other which is great too (That detour just so Serena can make it to the Showcase was great but the ribbon thing made everything sweeter.)

other than that the other shipings are harmless in my opinion :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back