• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should All Episode Be In 16:9 Format?

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Episodes started to be in 16:9 format some way in Galactic Battles, and I have to say the episodes look way better.

But I think they should at least convert the rest of the 4:3 epsidoes into 16:9 for DVD releases.

Here's an example of what it might look like for Season 1:

What do you think?

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I would prefer that as well. Otherwise one either loses part of the image or get a smaller one with modern TVs. The best thing would be to provide both of them in the menu and allow the user to choose.

Guest123_x1

Seeing how earlier episodes were produced in 4:3, information would be lost if they were cropped down to 16:9, unless they were composed in a way that allows cropping without losing important picture (open matte, which is a process in which imagery is shot in 4:3/11:8 [full screen], but is composed to be cropped for widescreen presentation at 16:9/37:20, while the full screen home video release uses the full 4:3 frame).
    Same goes for pan-and-scanning 16:9 material by cropping down to 4:3.
    (I can't understand why even recent releases of Pokémon movies are in cropped 4:3 as opposed to the original 16:9/37:20 (1.85:1), as shown in theaters. Maybe Pokémon USA won't allow it? As far as I know, none of the Pokémon movies were made in 4:3 with provision to crop down to 1.85:1 in theaters via the movie projector, with home video presentations using the full 4:3 frame (open matte). (However, I do remember reading that Pikachu's Vacation was produced open matte.)

More information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte
    http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I cannot stand the black things in between the show!(?)

Back