• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Gameboys be allowed in school?

Should gameboys be allowed in school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    Nyehh I say yes ..although students have much more important things to worry about in school it'd be nice if after all our work is done and the lesson's done early we could get some free time and play some....Though I stand at a weak position when I say that Gameboys should be allowed I say there should at least be a little time left over for fun! XD

Kaga: You would so make a great teacher. =P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Give me a break; "cuz it'd b funn rofl" is the basic argument here, but all I can glean from this thread is that kids never change...they moan about school being hard because they have absolutely no idea of the value of education or the effects of being mediocre all their lifes, then moan because they can't bring their toys to school so they can have play-time instead of a serious education...what's fun is rarely what's beneficial, especially when people are now at the point of wanting to sit in class and play That's So Raven 2 for seven hours a day when they should be attempting to learn how to write a sentence that doesn't look like a toddler that's projectile-vomited alphabet soup all over the screen.
    You make me feel bad for disagreeing. =D

Just because someone doesn't like school doesn't mean they disagree with the importance of education in one's life. Sure, education will certainly pay off later but...hey, kids are kids. I know I personally would rather be home on the computer or playing video games rather than reciting dialogues, doing projects, and learning theory. It's just how people tend to be--just because it's important doesn't mean it's still boring.

I don't agree with the people who play games in class. Though that would undoubtedly be a major problem if handhelds such as Gameboys were allowed, regrettably. However, I definitely fall into this category myself. o_o Especially last year--a lot of the people in my school, to put it kindly, are dolts. They don't understand anything and they constantly take the hardest stream of education available for some reason (there are different levels of difficulty for most courses). So naturally, they have to ask a lot of questions and the most mundanely easy tasks stretch out to a whole period. So why sit there and listen to a teacher explain subjects and predicates if I already know it? I can just do the work, sit back, and play a game. Sure, it's not the most respectful thing to be doing in someone's class but...it's better than being bored out of my mind as far as I see it.

Plus, I've passed countless lunchtimes and recesses in the past playing my Gameboy to eliminate boredom. No one said it had to be played while physically learning; it's a good way to relax during the day. ^_^; I used to bring my Gameboy Colour to school everyday and sit in the cafeteria during break...and plug it into the wall with the adaptor. XD; My friends would do it too and no one cared--that was great. If I hadn't been allowed to do that, I would've hated school so much then.

Anyway, getting to my final point--I think it's okay to bring them to school, but overall it's disrespectful to play them during class. If one's already finished their work and the teacher has confirmed that and doesn't mind what they do afterwards, that's fine. But otherwise, they should be kept off and away during formal education. =\ Not that that would happen, though...but I still wouldn't like it banned. (It wouldn't stop me; I'd still bring mine and play it. <_<)

Nedrag Terces12

Lord of Latias
    Years
    school is for learning. home is for gaming. but but but, my exception is, i feel there is nothing wrong with trying to A) pass by some time after finishing a test with 25 minutes left in the hour B) you're completely bored at lunch C) you have a free day of some sort and last of all D) the last few days of school

then i feel it's fine, but i hate it when people play their games in the middle of the class hour while there's a lecture going on and stuff like that...gets really annoying with people going "what you playing" "oh psp, nice" "how much did that psp cost" "where'd you get the awesome case" etc etc.then i feel like taking their GB GBC GBA GBM DS PSP and smashing it on the ground

Yuna-chan

Returned from Beyond
    Years
    I say let us bring them, We do it already, not like the students are scared of a little detention in my school. I usually don't play mine in class, except first block, but then agian the teacher is so clueless I could teach the class better than he can. I used to play my Ds alot in math last year, It was either that or fall asleep from boredom.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Lightning said:
    You make me feel bad for disagreeing. =D

I do that sometimes, I don't know how, though XD

Just because someone doesn't like school doesn't mean they disagree with the importance of education in one's life. Sure, education will certainly pay off later but...hey, kids are kids. I know I personally would rather be home on the computer or playing video games rather than reciting dialogues, doing projects, and learning theory. It's just how people tend to be--just because it's important doesn't mean it's still boring.

Honestly, I meant to specify that I was referring to people to hate school simply because they're forced to learn, not because they consider it a general waste of their time...even I bore of school easily, but I'm always aware that what I'm doing is necessary for success...I don't expect younger kids and other people to be so accepting (although they should be ;D)

I don't agree with the people who play games in class. Though that would undoubtedly be a major problem if handhelds such as Gameboys were allowed, regrettably. However, I definitely fall into this category myself. o_o Especially last year--a lot of the people in my school, to put it kindly, are dolts. They don't understand anything and they constantly take the hardest stream of education available for some reason (there are different levels of difficulty for most courses). So naturally, they have to ask a lot of questions and the most mundanely easy tasks stretch out to a whole period. So why sit there and listen to a teacher explain subjects and predicates if I already know it? I can just do the work, sit back, and play a game. Sure, it's not the most respectful thing to be doing in someone's class but...it's better than being bored out of my mind as far as I see it.

If only all people used it as responsibly as you did, it wouldn't be a problem...I'm just worried that if everyone could whip it out whenever they wanted, it would serve as nothing but a major distraction for those who needed the time to work/study/etc. Believe me, whenever my friend secretly takes his PSP out in class I can't help but stare at it no matter what the teacher is saying...I have the same problem regarding everyone but me taking difficult classes because they want it on a resum? and not because they actually want to be in them, and because of that I also find myself quickly done with assignments...I just think it would be incredibly awkward to turn on my SP and be the only one playing one while everyone else is still mired in their assignments; I imagine getting a lot of uncomfortable quizzical stares from my classmates and attracting the ire of my teacher...I like to read ahead in my english books, but that's just me, I'm easily entertained by literature, it's a trait most people can't relate to XD

Plus, I've passed countless lunchtimes and recesses in the past playing my Gameboy to eliminate boredom. No one said it had to be played while physically learning; it's a good way to relax during the day. ^_^; I used to bring my Gameboy Colour to school everyday and sit in the cafeteria during break...and plug it into the wall with the adaptor. XD; My friends would do it too and no one cared--that was great. If I hadn't been allowed to do that, I would've hated school so much then.

During recreational periods I would be more inclined to allow it or to do it myself...but I feel this topic had the less reasonable idea behind it that handhelds should be allowed any moment of any day, and that's what struck a nerve with me; it's a concept that I couldn't abide, and it's frustrating because it seems like just another facet of the mass unwillingness to learn of today's youth.

Anyway, getting to my final point--I think it's okay to bring them to school, but overall it's disrespectful to play them during class. If one's already finished their work and the teacher has confirmed that and doesn't mind what they do afterwards, that's fine. But otherwise, they should be kept off and away during formal education. =\ Not that that would happen, though...but I still wouldn't like it banned. (It wouldn't stop me; I'd still bring mine and play it. <_<)

I may see it differently because they're banned at my school, and the principal and higher administration are very inflexible on the rules...our Biology teacher allowed us to bring games to her class every day a couple of years ago, but that's the only exception. Your points are all valid, and in the scenarios you presented I agree with them...it's just the overall idea of "anytime, anywhere" that seems present in this thread that I'm against x___x;;

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Well they forbid all electronical devices like cell-phones and that stuff and I see kids playing their psp in math class a lot and more than once in a period I hear the same stupid poor quality rap song come from one of those kids' cell phones. (stupid gangster wannabes)
    I think gameboys should be allowed as long as
    You play them at lunch
    Keep them in a safe place
    Play them during a substitute teacher or a free period
    Do it descretly
    I bring my ds, sp and advance into school every single day along with all my Pokemon games and my GBA videos of Pokemon and I dont get in trouble one bit because I only play them during lunch, computer class and gym. But then again I'm not sure how the regular students are treated for that kind of stuff. I'm not actually a normal student, I'm not special ed either, I just get special deals and things from an IEP (Individual Education Plan) and I get a lot of cool deals and someone to follow me around all day, to hang out with, to take my notes even when I'm out and to study with me. That someone's the "friend" I've mentioned once or twice. So basically I get all these special deals because I have the person and she lets me ride on the elevator, play my gameboy, take home tests, plug in the snack machines, and so many other things.
    Maybe it's because my principle (who's really cool and currently is visiting Japan) is so laid back. But every year they enforce the same rules over and over again. *sigh* it'll never change, the rules but what happens under the teacher's eyes is another story

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Well, I think they should be allowed. It's the owners fault if they lose it anyway for not keeping it in a safe place.

Linoone

MCFRY! you are terminated! o!o
    Years
    yeah they should, but as coolmaster said it would be the owner's responsibility, and I think it should not be allowed in classes, but if conficated, it should be given back to the owner at the end of the day*faints*

mew2_v1

The Unknown
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 14, 2010
    I think its not allowed at my school, the teachers will take the item until you get it back at the end of term.

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    Definitely they should. Some of my teachers allow you to play them during class. My calculus teacher doesn't care as long as it doesn't disrupt class.

poke lover

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I think that gameboys should be allowed at school. I just don't agree with playing it during class.
    I always play mine during recces and lunch.

.Socks

free yourself
    Years
    Yes, they SHOULD be allowed. We students put up with learning at school and at home(homework) and it's only fair to get a little free time. We learn all the crap in class, why have homework???
    K, just my opinion...

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
    A long time ago, at the time of R/B/Y we were allowed to bring Gameboys to school. We aren't allowed to bring them anymore, but now my friends bring cellphones to school and toy with them. They send SMS, they hear ringtones and they play with games. So, I guess this is the same as playing with a Gameboy.

.Socks

free yourself
    Years
    lol, it's fun toying with my cell phone...
    Anyways, Just as long as there not during lesson or what-not yeah.

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    There's really no point of having them at school. I can survive for eight hours without video games. I don't see a problem with having them out at lunch or on off-periods or before classes start, but it's not a necessity.

Frostfur

thunderclan queen
    Years
    we cant have like cell fones or anything. no ipods, mp3's, only at homework club (i feel like a geek for going "??) and thats after school hours. but i thinkwe should be able to bring in any kind of electronics so my answer is yes.

Back