• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should have been just a liiiittle bit different

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Is there a pokémon that you don't really feel content with, in such a way that if just a little thing about its design, moveset, color, typing - anything, had been different, it would have been a much better pokémon?

For me, I can't get over Venusaur :( I really like Bulbasaur with its bulb. It's not too much in the way, of sorts. Ivysaur is also okay, sprouting a flower. But Venusaur has a whole tree on its back. It feels like it shouldn't really be able to move around in battle because it's just so incredibly low and wide and balances a tree on top. It's Mega variant is even worse. Should have been some more elaborate flower or more vines and leaves sort of.

Spoiler:

I have the same feelings about Torterra and its tree. If it only had spikes and a bush or something low growing like Grotle, it would have been better imo.

Because what really happens if a Venusaur or Torterra flips on their back? Will the tree withstand the weight of the pokémon or bend like rubber or flesh or... break? :x

Something like this, I think would have been better: (found it on a google search for pics of Torterra on its back; there are none hahaha)

Spoiler:

What are your thoughts? Not just on my examples, but overall on some pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm personally not that fond of Zoroark. :( Although it does look cool, it has a big pile of hair on its head, and that doesn't really go well with its overall body structure. If its body were more bulky, then it definitely would have been more fitting, I'm sure. Not such a huge fan of its stats, either; its defenses are pretty low, making it easy to take down. In terms of design, I also wish that Dragonite was a little more different. If its belly weren't as huge, it would've looked a lot better than it currently does.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm personally not that fond of Zoroark. :( Although it does look cool, it has a big pile of hair on its head, and that doesn't really go well with its overall body structure. If its body were more bulky, then it definitely would have been more fitting, I'm sure. Not such a huge fan of its stats, either; its defenses are pretty low, making it easy to take down. In terms of design, I also wish that Dragonite was a little more different. If its belly weren't as huge, it would've looked a lot better than it currently does.

Yeah, they really made Dragonite a gentle looking, cuddly version of Charizard. They should have made it a more natural evolution to Dragonair imo, keeping the sleeker shape and perhaps mostly changing the color and adding the wings. As it is now, Dratini and Dragonair fit well as the mysterious original dragons, but then Dragonite comes and flops in with its belly in a different kind of cuteness haha.

I kind of liked how they portrayed Iris' Dragonite though. Made it seem tougher and less cuddly than for example Mewtwo's Dragonite in the first movie.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Golduck not being part Psychic and Kangaskhan not being part Ground seem odd, since the former can learn Psychic moves while the latter can still be in Giovanni's gym leader lineup without being replaced by another Rhyhorn.

Dragonite being the evolved form of Dragonair. It's neither majestic nor menacing, and even if it tries to look intimidating, it looks ridiculous, as shown by Iris' Dragonite. It'll need a complete redesign entirely.

Krookodile's snout rubs me the wrong way, while every part of his body is fine, so major changes there.

Pyroar as special sweeper rather than a physical sweeper questions me, especially how lions are known for their physical strength. It would've been a much better Pokémon overall, thanks to Moxie as its hidden ability.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016

As soon as I read the first post this guy came to mind.

The fact that Luxray is pure Electric even though it should be Dark/Electric.
    I mean look at him and his movepool! He just screams Dark/Electric!

I'm also irked that Helioptile is Normal/Electric (as well as it's evo???) instead of being pure Electric or Electric/Ground, Electric/Water, anything but Normal/Electric.

They just set the little guy up for failure. And that bothers me cause it's one of my favorite Pokemon.

There are some sadists up in Game Freak, I tell ya.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    There are various Pokemon that come to mind. One of them is Emolga. Its sprites in the fifth generation had an open mouth that looked so ugly, it made the Pokemon less cute than it could've been. Also, its Speed should've been a bit lower, so that it wouldn't have been so annoying.

Design-wise, Chespin suffers from the same fate; it's a supposedly cute Pokemon, but its official artwork ruined it by giving it an ugly smile.

Pyroar had a lot of potential, but Game Freak completely wasted it by giving it a high Special Attack stat and a low Attack stat, while it should've been the other way around. Litleo is fine as it is, though.

Weezing's Special Attack should've been a bit higher than its Attack, because I don't really see it as a physical attacker.

If Rampardos was a bit faster, it could've been more menacing.

Glaceon could've been a great Pokemon if it had more strong Special moves, and if the Ice type had more resistances.

Luxray being Electric/Dark would make a bit more sense, because it looks so dark and it can learn good Dark moves.

Lilligant should've gotten the Fairy typing, and Whimsicott shouldn't. Lilligant looks far more like a fairy than Whimsicott does.

Emboar should've been Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground rather than Fire/Fighting.

I loved Speed Boost Blaziken at first, but now that it's broken, I wish it had gained a different HA, like Reckless or Flash Fire. Also, its Mega Evolution rubs me the wrong way, because of Speed Boost and because there's no Mega Sceptile/Swampert.

About Mega Evolutions, I think Scizor, Garchomp, the Lati@s, and to an extent Tyranitar shouldn't have received them. They were perfectly fine as they were. Also, Mega Charizard X should've been the only Mega Charizard.

Tyranitar is one of my favourite Pokemon of all time, but Sand Stream prevents me from using it. It has Unnerve now, but I still wish it had already gained something other than Sand Stream in the third generation.

Blastoise should get something like Slack Off, Recover, or even Milk Drink for reliable recovery, so that it can be on par with Venusaur and Charizard in terms of competitive viability.

Snorlax should get Slack Off. Just because it's Snorlax.

Also, I think Farfetch'd, Jynx, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Sableye, Chimecho, and Basculin should've gotten a (Mega) evolution already.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    While it's not really a standalone Pokemon, Mega Manectric was a disappointment to me. For one, its stats are horrible when compared to normal Manectric. It's such a small boost to stats that were already good in my opinion. Secondly, its appearance is god awful. It's basically Manectric with more hair! Such original, very like. That appearance curse has afflicted Mega Venusaur, too. Now, I like how Venusaur looks, and when I first heard of Mega Venusaur, I thought it would have a Venus Flytrap for a flower or something awesome like that. What did I get? An even bigger flower. It was a waste of potential for the poor plant dinosaur.

Why the heck does Pyroar have Moxie with that abysmal Attack stat? Pyroar's hidden ability is Moxie, an otherwise good ability. If you want to see Moxie at its full potential, use a Krookodile, Scrafty or Honchkrow. But Pyroar? It has more Special Attack than it has Attack, which makes a good ability downright useless on it. It's a waste of space, when it could have something better (Competitive would fit Pyroar more, when you consider a lion's behaviour in the wild).

Years
    Here's a lot that I think deserve a mention so yeah spoilered all of them.

Spoiler:

Besides those gripes, I'm pretty fine with how most stuff turned out.

Years
    If Archen and Archeops had been given something other than a non-hindering ability like Defeatist, it would not only break away from the rest of the pack as my favorite Fossil Pokemon, but could quite possibly be my favorite Pokemon of Unova. I mean, right now all it takes is a 50% drop in HP, and both their Attack and Special Attack drop by 50% as well. There are plenty of options it could be given as a secondary/hidden ability (Early Bird, Hustle, Limber, Reckless, etc.), so hopefully we'll see that at some point.

Other ones that I saw mentioned that I agree could use a change in their typings are Golduck and Luxray. Not that they're bad the way they are, but they could be that much better with a Psychic and Dark type added on respectively.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    I really wish the pupitar line stayed rock-ground, or became ground-dark. IT just doesn't look like a rock evolution line at all.

Years
    Silcoon and Cascoon...they could've done ANYTHING to differentiate the two from each other. One has a slight purple tint to it's otherwise white body and that's really it. They could've given one of them some form of markings or even a different shape, but instead GF opted for a barely noticeable hue change.

Years
    I thought Aromatisse was really disappointing. When art for Spritzee was released, I got really excited for its evolution and basically decided on catching it, unless the evolution was so unappealing that it wouldn't be worth training anymore. Unfortunately, Aromatisse met that description. Not a terrible Pokemon by any means; I still considered using it for a while, but in the end, I just didn't like its design.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I thought Aromatisse was really disappointing. When art for Spritzee was released, I got really excited for its evolution and basically decided on catching it, unless the evolution was so unappealing that it wouldn't be worth training anymore. Unfortunately, Aromatisse met that description. Not a terrible Pokemon by any means; I still considered using it for a while, but in the end, I just didn't like its design.
    Yeah I was hoping for a flamingo or hummingbird thing but we got a fluffy coconut :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My complaints are usually designs lol.

I think the Tepig line gets most of my complaining lol. I really wanted to see Tepig go the ground boar route. I envisioned it staying on all fours and getting a ground dual typing but yeah no. Even if it just stayed fire type throughout I would of been fine.

I wish Pokemon like Ledian, Corsola, Jumpluff, Mightyena, and others I can't think of right now had better stats. I like their designs and would love to use them, but it feels not even worth it.

Very disappointed in the design for Rhyperior. It's so ugly and dumb looking idk why that passed.

Daurumaka idk how to spell it and idc evolves into some ape thing with fire eyebrows or whatever. COME ON.

I also have to agree with everyone about Spritzee. I was so excited for it's evolution and it was so disappointing omg lol.

I'm personally not that fond of Zoroark. :( Although it does look cool, it has a big pile of hair on its head, and that doesn't really go well with its overall body structure. If its body were more bulky, then it definitely would have been more fitting, I'm sure.

Thank you someone finally said it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years

As soon as I read the first post this guy came to mind.

The fact that Luxray is pure Electric even though it should be Dark/Electric.
    I mean look at him and his movepool! He just screams Dark/Electric!
    So you want Luxray to be an even worse Pokémon? Being Dark/Electric would only give more weaknesses, and I would rather have one weakness over multiple ones.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    So you want Luxray to be an even worse Pokémon? Being Dark/Electric would only give more weaknesses, and I would rather have one weakness over multiple ones.

I simply said I could see it as Dark/Electric because it makes sense. Game Freak isn't exactly known to type things very well in the first place. Afterall, like I said in my original post, Helioptile and it's evo have Normal typing and they shouldn't. Because it adds an additional weakness, makes no sense, and they don't even have any decent STABs for it.

At least Luxray would have decent STAB if it were part Dark. :I

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    If you could change one Pokemon's design...

What would you change? A small tweak to make it perfect or a massive overhaul? Feel free to add paint renditions of them :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just merging this with the existing thread that seemed similar enough :3

Also I could mention some fan-made Mega evolutions that I definitely like better than the real ones. Bulky Mega Swampert actually is growing on me though.

Back