• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I get Windows Vista?

Should I upgrade to windows vsita?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    sirboulevard: Did your friend upgrade his computer from XP using an in-place upgrade? $7000 is a fair lot; was it built by him?
    No. It was built by Falcon Northwest (an elite computer manufacturer. they only build custom computers for about that much) out here in Washington. The computer is new bascially so it came with Vista. Totally ruined it. The thing has 2 processors, about 7GB of RAM, and 500GB of Hard Drive Space and it performed only slightly better then my $500 HP Laptop. When he switched to XP the computer ran like... well better than any computer ill ever own probably.

Edit: Ok, Maybe I exaggerated how bad it ran. But it was a major jump in performance.

Last edited:

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    No. It was built by Falcon Northwest (an elite computer manufacturer. they only build custom computers for about that much) out here in Washington. The computer is new bascially so it came with Vista. Totally ruined it. The thing has 2 processors, about 7GB of RAM, and 500GB of Hard Drive Space and it performed only slightly better then my $500 HP Laptop. When he switched to XP the computer ran like... well better than any computer ill ever own probably.

Just one question did it have SP1(Service Pack 1)SP1 Seems to help and fix many problems
    on Vista.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    I guess it depends on your version of Vista, but Home Premium hasn't been giving me much trouble. The only thing I would complain about is the lack of emulator compatibility and RAM, but thats really it. :\

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I got Home Premium for £15 (it was an offer that came with XP media center editiion) so that was cool. I say it's alright, I've had it for over 1 year now and it hasn't crashed once. Frozen, but unfrozen. And I haven't had a meeting with the blue screen of death yet. XP crashed about 20 times the few years I had it and the blue screen came up about 6 or 7. Vista looks cool and the snipping tool is really cool XD XP is faster to turn on though, by a long way. But I usually do stuff for the 1 min it turns on. oh, an annoying thing is the permission thing. Sometimes, I get it when I want to delete pictures o.O It won't let me delete them so I have to go into the folder and highlight them all, then delete

But I don't know really, the only stuff I've added is the internet, firewall, iTunes, office thing and PSP8

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Absolutely, but only on two conditions: your computer is capable of running it, and you're not afraid to make a few tweaks.

Make sure you have at least two gigabytes of ram, and I would highly recommend a core 2 duo, but it is not unheard of to run vista on a single-core. I actually did so for a few days before I finished my PC upgrade. Also, a higher-end graphics card is necessary to run Vista Aero, which is that glass-like look that makes vista so visually stunning. Check the Microsoft website to see what would be appropriate.

Now for the tweaks. Vista, once installed, is going to baby you through everything, asking your permission to do pretty much any task. Needless to say, this is quite annoying, and you'll want to turn these messages off. There are countless websites explaining how to do so, and this is hardly even a con if you are willing to type a few words into the Google search engine to find said websites.

Otherwise, be very careful when buying software. Always make sure you check and see that the program is supported by Vista. So far I've had no problems running Microsoft Office 2003, the Vista drivers for my hardware (look for these online), and a few other things that aren't vista-specific (such as Manga Studio and an assortment of games), but don't try your luck.

As a final note, I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64, which is probably the most finnicky OS on the market today (it's vista, first off, and it's the 64-bit edition), but I haven't had any issues with my old programs yet. Hope that helped!

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    1. I have used vista. Homebrew drivers DO NOT WORK without PAID signing by microsoft. Get your facts straight before you flame and de-rep.
    bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    Alright, my facts are straight. I'll go ahead and de-rep you know, k? Flaming you can keep, it's not my flavor.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
    I've got both XP and Vista, but the thing is that you shouldn't upgrade, because it might be a bit buggy.
    Anyway if you do want Vista, you should buy another laptop that has Vista installed on it.
    It does look better, but it can have problems on it. :x

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    You guys, really.
    THEY WILL NOT ALLOW THIS IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES.
    Is it so hard for me to get my point across?
    YOU CANNOT DO THIS.
    It will disable tons of drivers already there in vista, causing you not to be able to play ANY copyrighted media (except pirated).
    Incorrect. I've had driver signing disabled since my day1 install of Vista 64. No side effects. I own a BluRay ROM and use it to play legitimate, DRM secured movies without any side effects. I own some DRM secured music tracks in both WMA format and some iTunes tracks. They all work fine. None of my 'drivers were disabled' by disabling thr REQUIREMENT for driver signing. Are you like...five years old, or what?

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
    Seems like most people here on this topic are as hot-headed as me! Consider the last 2 posts of mine eradicated.

If anyone is curious, 2-layer-quoting is disabled so my quoted posts look really weird without them.

Last edited:

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Don't upgrade your OS, buy a new computer with Vista if you want because without good DDR memory and enough ghz, something with much graphics as Windows Vista would run slowly.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Don't upgrade your OS, buy a new computer with Vista if you want because without good DDR memory and enough ghz, something with much graphics as Windows Vista would run slowly.

Or upgrade your current computer and save some $ if you're hardcore like me ;)

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023

Wish I had good DDR memory, enough ghz and a much graphics then Vista wouldn't run slowly.

That was probably the worst advice ever.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Fine, here is some better advice,
    keep windows xp, i don't think many people even like vista most of the upgrades in vista is graphical and you could do without it. what i said before was the truth, sorry if the truth sucks.;)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
    Vista has a very nice Look and feel to it, and the Start Menu's "Find" function saves lives =)

These are the Minimum system Specs I'd recommend.

• Atleast 2 GB of DDR2, or DDR3 (DDR1 is Really old, and out dated. Most New Motherboards also dont support it) RAM.
    • A Processor that has atleast 1.8 GHz speed, and is Core2Dual (Dual is Kinda Outdated, but it still works fine)
    • 256 MB Video Card.
    I'm Using Vista myself, and I love it. If you want to try it out, and see what microsoft thinks of your laptop, use a 30 day trial one, and go to Computer > Properties, and look at the Rating, if the Rating is 3.5 or above, you can use it pretty efficiently.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back