• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I quit making my rom hack?

Years
  • Hi everyone,
    I'm currently working on a rom hack, but I'm also a community college/high school student. I find it hard to balance making a rom hack, gaming, school, work, and sports. I feel like I won't be able to complete my rom hack because of my responsibilities. I also tend to get frustrated when I encounter a roadblock in the making of my hack. What do you think?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Roadblocks are part of the fun, they shouldn't make you quit but work harder to find a solution for them. Even a little work once a week can go a long way but don't rom hack over your studies. If you really feel passionate about your ideas, keep going. If you don't then quitting wouldn't hurt you that much, it's only been 5 months.

Years
  • It's better to focus on your college/high school work in my opinion.

Yeah, school has always been my first priority.

Roadblocks are part of the fun, they shouldn't make you quit but work harder to find a solution for them. Even a little work once a week can go a long way but don't rom hack over your studies. If you really feel passionate about your ideas, keep going. If you don't then quitting wouldn't hurt you that much, it's only been 5 months.

Ok, I think that makes sense. I don't need to dedicate my whole life to rom hacking.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    I'm currently working on a rom hack, but I'm also a community college/high school student. I find it hard to balance making a rom hack, gaming, school, work, and sports. I feel like I won't be able to complete my rom hack because of my responsibilities. I also tend to get frustrated when I encounter a roadblock in the making of my hack. What do you think?
    Is real life more important than ROM Hacking?
    Yes, OP. Yes it is :) Really though, you don't need to "quit." Just place it at the bottom of your list. You can work on ROM hacking like, once a month or whenever you have time. Unlike real life, there aren't any deadlines here.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    Unlike your real life obligations, ROM hacking is a hobby. You have no obligation to keep on hacking. As a hobby, ROM hacking is something only you can decide to continue doing, and you certainly shouldn't be pushing aside responsibilities as if ROM hacking should be on an equal level as them. Only you can decide whether you do/don't have the time to put into this, and whether you're actually interested in keeping at it.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Maybe try decreasing the size/scope of the hack, make milestones and achieving those goals will make you feel like you can take a break and that you have accomplished something.

Hope that helps, in anything you decide you can always go back to Rom Hacking. Contrary to what some people say I believe there will always be a niche group of people working on their pokehacks. :)

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Unlike your real life obligations, ROM hacking is a hobby. You have no obligation to keep on hacking. As a hobby, ROM hacking is something only you can decide to continue doing, and you certainly shouldn't be pushing aside responsibilities as if ROM hacking should be on an equal level as them. Only you can decide whether you do/don't have the time to put into this, and whether you're actually interested in keeping at it.

This.

I suggest to do ROM hacking as a free time hobby too, and it's better to have an interest in doing it since you're more motivated to work on it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2023
    Always focus on school before anything else.
    Its your future...
    You can always plan your school projects and see where u get some free time to work on your rom hack.
    But dont throw something away that you love to do, sometimes you need to clear your head

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • I find myself struggling with this as well, and school is definitely the top priority. From what it sounds like, you have to also keep up with sports, work, and gaming, so I'd advice you to manage your time wisely so that any spare time you get you can hack. From what it sounds like, however, all of your spare time goes to sports, work, and gaming, so it might just be wise to take a break from hacking, and come back to it later. It's only a hobby, after all. :)

Crimnor

» imperishable
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2020
    I wouldn't listen to anyone else in this situation really. This decision should be 100% your own in my opinion.
    Exactly.

However, your real life should be always ones top priority. Later on no one cares if you finished an awesome ROM hack and it wont earn you money either.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • Answers above are great! Here's my advice:

Is ROM Hacking your passion/dream? Because just like Education, your passion is important too... Balance out everything and don't put too much focus on one... If it involves your life, then the decision should be yours... Do anything that makes you happy, healthy, content and successful, just not illegal and unholy...

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I worked on my ROM hack all through high school, starting from 9th grade and now at 12th grade I'm basically done.

I used weekends, breaks and summer vacation a lot. Even if it was just to work on a small thing, it was better than nothing.

Which isn't to say I never had setbacks. Last summer I had to go back to a version of the hack that was two years old at that point and redo so much! But the second time it was easier because I had the experience from the first time.

So if you have a lot of stuff, and you still really want to do this hack, then don't give up entirely. It might take a really long time. Scratch that, it WILL take a long time, but if you're really passionate about it, then the rewards will be something you worked really hard on and can enjoy for a long time.

That's my two cents on the matter. Do what works the best for you! Good luck with the rest of high school/college!

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
  • Your life is more important than ROM hack but if you having quite hard to ROM hacking then no need to do. You don't have to ROM hack as it is not that it will kill you if you don't. And I refer to you as I am a hacker also and as well as a School Student always try to finish your works as quick as possible then Hack ROM.

and yes your avatar is cool

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • You could always just do it on the side when you have time allowing you to focus on school work but do something as a hobby. Honestly if you really aren't feeling it then don't as you'll have no drive to create something good and it'll just come out meh.

Years
  • I wasn't expecting so many replies lol! Rom hacking and gaming are really just hobbies for me, so I usually work on my rom hack for a couple hours a week (same thing for gaming). I'm actually hoping to major in computer science so learning ASM could help me. Thank you for your input!

Back