• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Should I restart my game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    So I've had Red, Silver, Crystal and Saphire but with Platinum I just learned what all of the stats do and what natures do. Unfortunately I learned this when I nearly had completed my game and now because of it I've made a lot of stupid mistakes like giving my pokemon special attacks that had higher power even though they're special attack was way lower than their attack, wasting TMs and shards and not training them properly. Most of my main pokemon have natures counter intuitive to what their strengths should be.

I'm just not pleased with my game, but I don't know if I should completely start over or not. Here are my pokemon's stats to help.

Blissey: Lvl. 69 with serious nature, Atk. 38, Def. 42, Sp. Atk. 129, Sp. Def 193, Speed 134.
    Magmortar Lvl. 78 with jolly nature, Atk. 188, Def. 130, Sp. Atk 189, Sp. Def. 174, Speed 192.
    Garchomp Lvl. 78 with Bold nature, Atk. 219, Def. 200, Sp. Atk. 150, Sp. Def 153, Speed 187.
    Luxray Lvl. 79 with Rash nature, Atk. 225, Defense 155, Sp. Atk 188, Sp. Def 146, Speed 160.
    Gyrados Lvl. 79 with Bold nature, Atk. 229, Defense 171, Sp. Atk 124, Sp Def. 181, Speed 195.

Not gonna post their moves because I already know how I've messed those up.

There is no sixth one because I've decided to get a Torterra instead of my Empoleon.

And if I do start a new game should I record the numbers my pokemon get when they level up? In short what are the benefits of breeding a pokemon if it already has the nature you want? How do I know which pokemon will give my pokemon what stats when they defeat them?

Years
    You shouldn't start a new game. You've already got most of the resources for enhancing your Pokemon's stats open to you now. Why get rid of it? All you need to do is just breed new Pokemon with the right natures
    The benefits of breeding a Pokemon even though you may already have the right nature is IVs. IVs, also known as Individual Values, are hidden values between 0 and 31 that determine how high a Pokemon's stats can get. People usually breed because their Pokemon may not have very high IVs.
    To know which Pokemon give which stat, I like to use this.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. ;^^

Years
    Dont start over. You can head over to the Trade Corner, and there you will find alot of people willing to give you the items you need, if you have wasted them. Dont worry. The in-game team doesnt matter, so dont fret.

BlueShuckle

School Boy
    Years
    Don't start a new game. You can breed your new Pokemon with good natures and IV's, without the hassle of teaching them HM's to get through the storyline.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    So how do I get an offspring with the nature I want?

And as far as the trade corner I just post my friend code and they'll find me?

Slo

Rival Slo appeared!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    Starting over at that point is pointless. The only time when starting over is useful is when you soft reset for shiny starters. As many of the other people said, just keep breeding till you get good natures and train those.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Yea you shouldn't restart your game, all you are doing is erasing all the hard training you have done.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    So how do I get an offspring with the nature I want?

And as far as the trade corner I just post my friend code and they'll find me?

First of all, I agree with the others - don't restart your game! Heck, I finished Platinum ages ago and I'm still experimenting with different teams. It's what can make the game really fun for me. :3 But now, on to your questions:

01. Natures are passed along from the mother, or female parent. If that female parent is holding an Everstone (which can easily be found in the Sinnoh Underground), she has a 50% chance of passing on her Nature. Alternatively (and the most helpful way), when you breed a male Pokémon with a Ditto (who is genderless), that Ditto takes on the female parent's role. So an Adamant Ditto + an Everstone + a male Empoleon = baby Piplups who have a 50% chance of inheriting the Ditto's Adamant Nature. This is the way I really recommend, as you then don't have to bother with Egg Groups and whathaveyou. Dittos can be found in Platinum in the Trophy Garden after you have the National Dex (keep talking to Mister Mansion Owner and Soft-Resetting until he says he's seen a Ditto in his garden) or, if you have LeafGreen/FireRed, on Routes 13, 14, 15, Pokémon Mansion, or Cerulean Cave, or if you have Emerald, in the Desert Underpass.

02. The Trade Corner has a sticky thread entitled the Quick Trade Thread. Post there what you are looking for, what you are willing to offer for it, your Friend Code and where possible your Time Zone (not a lot of users do this, but I find it's helpful) and if people are interested they will PM or VM you. Alternatively, you can look through the shops to see if people have what you want - IE., this thread. Please be aware that people will not always get back to you straight away, so be patient. Do not make a new thread asking for the items. That is what the QT thread is for; spam threads like that tend to be locked by moderators and are very annoying and cluttery and whathaveyou.

Well, that's a bit of a long-winded post, but I hope it helps you. :]

mikaldinho

professional game creator!
    Years
    dont resart it. in canalave city there is the move deleter guy. ask him to delete the rubbish moves and replace them with good tm's or hm's.

hope i helped ya!

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Urgh , not another guy who just discovered this and now is obsessed ...
    NO , do not restart your game ! I had an Adamant Floatzel with Surf and Razor Wind and I finished Platinum .
    So please , do not become obsessed over IVs and EVs , I don't wasnt another one except for my friend , dammit ! >:-(

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    That's pretty much your call anyway. Weight up the pros and the cons and decide, we can't really choose for you, sorry ^^;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back