• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I use rpg maker or hacking

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    I'm thinking of making my own pokemon game nd first I tried hacking but I have found it very hard so I'm thinking of trying rpg maker xp but what do you think I should use?

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
    If you plan on working on a game with different features and things all your own,go for RMXP.if youre wanting something simple and enjoyable using only little details, then I think hacking is better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks for the advice you guys it really helped I Think I will go with the rpg maker is possible to add new pokemon with the rpg maker and then how to I get the rpg maker?

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
    Yes you can, but I think you should look up Pokemon essentials or CNG's starter kit to help you out.With rmxp, you add your own scripts and therefore can enter your own information for any pokemon you desire.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Depends on what you're most comfortable with.

With RPG Maker, you can include your own personal touch. More so than a hack, which has a few limitations.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Lemme put it this way, hacking is technically illegal as your editing an existing game that has copyright grounds on it. Rpg Maker on the other hand is made for you so you can build your own games. Sure you'll have to start from ground up if your using RPG maker, but you can always use Poccil's or Cng's kit, both of them are so you can start building your game. If you want to add your own personal stuff you'll have to script it in RGSS language, though.
    I'd really go for RPG maker as it can set you on the path to Game Development, but hey it's your choice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Like I said thank you for all the advice it's really helpful are the starter kits just sprites? Also like I said before where can I buy the rpg maker xp?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Like I said thank you for all the advice it's really helpful are the starter kits just sprites? Also like I said before where can I buy the rpg maker xp?
    The starter kits contain scripts, animations, images, sound effects, all of that.

You can buy both of them at the official site, here.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    RMXP is better, hands down. It doesn't really matter what you want to do, you're better off going with the non-hacking solution. Hacking is more tedious and generally limited than what game development with real software(Such as RPGMaker XP, Game Maker, etc.) can do. Working with RMXP is generally cleaner that hacking and less likely to wind up corrupting your game. It's also a question of how much work are you willing to put into this, however. Do you have the willpower to make a whole game? After a month, will you still be seriously working on it?

Basically, if you're lazy, you simply won't complete any project, whether it's a hack or RMXP.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Lemme put it this way, hacking is technically illegal as your editing an existing game that has copyright grounds on it. Rpg Maker on the other hand is made for you so you can build your own games. Sure you'll have to start from ground up if your using RPG maker, but you can always use Poccil's or Cng's kit, both of them are so you can start building your game. If you want to add your own personal stuff you'll have to script it in RGSS language, though.
    I'd really go for RPG maker as it can set you on the path to Game Development, but hey it's your choice.

Hacking is a gray area, it's not technically legal or illegal as long as you own a hard copy of the game and dumped the rom yourself, which in itself would be hard to prove either way. Anyways, I've tried both, and personally prefer game development via RMXP, but it's all up to you. They both have their ups and downs, hacking can be far more limited but some of the systems like the Pokedex lack in the starter kits (or at least in my opinion they do). I'd say Game Development, or at least RMXP with Essentials, is a little easier to get used to, but then again I just couldn't grasp scripting. I'd say try doing both and see what you like better.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

HERE is the official RMXP page where you can download the free trial of RMXP to try it out before purchasing it. And I really can't compare hacking and game development - as I've never even attempted hacking in the past.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
    game dev is far more flexable.

hacking is useful because everything was already programmed, you already had all the pokemon, moves, battle systems etc. but now you have the RMXP starter kits which replicates most of that.

Years
    Heres the theroy, if your not up for a big challenge, go hacking.
    Advantages:
    Easier to program
    Mostly everything is provided for you, e.g Overworlds, Moves etc
    There are lots of tools which can be used to help you hack.
    Not many bugs.
    Disadvantes:
    Your very limited to certain things.
    Wont come out as wonderful and amazing as a built from scratch game.

If your up for a challenge, and hard work go game dev.
    Advantages:
    Can design it HOWEVER you want.
    More people will be attracted to it.
    Can add alot more features designs.
    Disadvantges:
    Will take you ages, in many cases YEARS!.
    Alot of bugs tend to come into it, which makes you frustrated.
    Alot of things may not go your way when developing.
    Takes alot of effort.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Well I think I'll go with using the rpg maker because i tried using hacking and I rea.ly struggled with the over worlds and everything but can I buy the rpg maker in the uk?

I really apologise for typos I'm using a touch screen and I'm not used to it sorry

Last edited:

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Well I think I'll go with using the rpg maker because i tried using hacking and I rea.ly struggled with the over worlds and everything but can I buy the rpg maker in the uk?

I really apologise for typos I'm using a touch screen and I'm not used to it sorry

Yeah, just go to the website and buy it there.

Back