• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should marijuana be legalized?

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    Pot is safer than alcohol, and alcohol IS a drug. So it's nonsense to accept one while banning the other.

Those D.A.R.E. speakers who taught us all that propaganda about cannabis and other substances and how we should never ever touch them, but went home and drank a beer or a glass of wine with dinner are daaang hypocrites.:tired:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Hypocritical in the sense that most people who oppose marijuana say something along the lines of 'drugs are bad' and then you'll see them drinking a 40 the next day, I know people like this. Turns out, alcohol is a drug as well!

Nobody did anything like that...

I beg to differ, you CAN choose not to damage someone else's health, it's called being considerate and not smoking around them. It's the kind of people who don't care and continue to smoke around those who do not wish to smoke that cause the problem.

Problem: Almost Nobody cares. It's been pretty much proven to me by now that people are very willing to victimize innocents in favor of an "It's my choice" point of view if they can get away with it.

They're either smoking around their friends, or their co-workers, or even their own family! ...It's disgusting really.

...How likely do you think it is that smokers are going to conform to going to some isolated place in order to smoke legally when so many clearly don't care about others in the first place?

Also, drinking =/= getting drunk. There's a fine threshold there.

Pot is safer than alcohol, and alcohol IS a drug. So it's nonsense to accept one while banning the other.

Those D.A.R.E. speakers who taught us all that propaganda about cannabis and other substances and how we should never ever touch them, but went home and drank a beer or a glass of wine with dinner are daaang hypocrites.:tired:

That does not mean they are not hypocrites. You clearly don't know what a hypocrite is. You, however are practicing bigotry by calling them hypocrites. =|
    Definition of hypocrite said:
    Hypocrisy is the act of persistently pretending to hold beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually hold. Hypocrisy is thus a kind of lie.

Marijuana is is not "safe". I don't know what exactly you heard, but pot does have side effects, and some of them can be bad and even deadly when combined with certain situations. For instance, you should never drive while under the effects of marijuana. Here take this study for good measure. ( https://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/misc/driving/driving.htm ) I would say that something is dangerous when it can be combined with a common daily activity to cause life threatening situations. No?

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years

Nobody did anything like that...

Problem: Almost Nobody cares. It's been pretty much proven to me by now that people are very willing to victimize innocents in favor of an "It's my choice" point of view if they can get away with it.

They're either smoking around their friends, or their co-workers, or even their own family! ...It's disgusting really.

...How likely do you think it is that smokers are going to conform to going to some isolated place in order to smoke legally when so many clearly don't care about others in the first place?

I care, and so does most of the people over here on the WEST coast.
    A lot of it has to do with where you live, from my own travels to the west coast (All up and down it, Southern Texas, to Southern Florida, AAAALLLL the way up to the north most corner of Maine.) and from what I can tell, yeah, nobody really cares, same with California, but most of the states in-between have laws about that kind of thing, and many many places are no-smoking zones. And nobody likes the people that don't abide by them, simple as that. Take my mom for instance, she is a cigarette smoker, and she always makes sure to go outside away from people who don't want to breather the smoke, and in my case, most of my friends DON'T smoke cigarettes, so when I do, and they want to be near me, I always try my best to blow the smoke AWAY from them, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Saying most people don't care about it is like saying most people don't care when alcoholics waste their lives and hurt the lives of others, smoking might affect someones physical health, but drinking can, and usually does, affect both the physical health and mental health of not only the drinker, but those associated with the drinker.

Dawn

Years
    Saying most people don't care about it is like saying most people don't care when alcoholics waste their lives and hurt the lives of others, smoking might affect someones physical health, but drinking can, and usually does, affect both the physical health and mental health of not only the drinker, but those associated with the drinker.

That's wonderful for you...but...

Every day, when I go into work, I take a dinner break. It would just so seem to happen that almost every single one of my co-workers...smokes. Every break, they will smoke, right at the store. Every day, I have to worry about choking on someone's smoke. People have sat down, right next to me, and started smoking. I have even been asked to give people lights. Offered cigarettes.

It also just so happens that every single one of my co-workers, are incredibly nice people otherwise.

I'm afraid I just don't believe you when you say people care. I have seen firsthand proof that they don't, and believe that nothing short of direct action against them is going to stop them from doing this.

I think the problem comes from the fact that smoking kills slowly and over time. Whereas the invasive parts of alcohol hurt/kill very suddenly.

Rettan

~Oddish_Smoker~
    Years
    I would agree Marijuana should be legalized,
    Sociologically its proven that "What is forbidden, its the funnest"
    So if its legalized, people will get out of control smoking it for about a year maybe?
    Then they will get bored and it wont be fun anymore because its legal, making people quit.
    Marijuana is not addictive, highly proven, someone can smoke it once, and not smoke for 6 months if wanted. Society is the drug that pushes you to do things, when society finds it legal it wont be as fun as it used to, or pushed as it used to.
    Yes it can be a gateway drug to heavier stuff, but if you think about it, so is alcohol, so is tobacco.
    Drugs screwing up your life depends of the person, not the drug.
    Like my motto says:

Smoke the weed, dont let it smoke you.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Well, I have never smoked pot, prolly never will but there's less dangers to using pot than alcohol.

I think if it's regulated, it would be another taxable income for governments also it will give drug dealer types less money so it will help a little to actually clean up drugs on the streets.

Gotta work out the details, but I think it would be good to legalize it but keep it regulated, like alcohol.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years

Every day, when I go into work, I take a dinner break. It would just so seem to happen that almost every single one of my co-workers...smokes. Every break, they will smoke, right at the store. Every day, I have to worry about choking on someone's smoke. People have sat down, right next to me, and started smoking. I have even been asked to give people lights. Offered cigarettes.

It also just so happens that every single one of my co-workers, are incredibly nice people otherwise.

I'm afraid I just don't believe you when you say people care. I have seen firsthand proof that they don't, and believe that nothing short of direct action against them is going to stop them from doing this.

I think the problem comes from the fact that smoking kills slowly and over time. Whereas the invasive parts of alcohol hurt/kill very suddenly.

Are you JOKING me? Alcohol kills over time as well, have you ever heard of liver failure?
    My grandfather had to have half of his liver removed and replaced because of his addiction and he STILL wont quit.
    And if the smoke bothers you, why don't you take initiative and tell the persons you have a problem with that you would rather not inhale the smoke and that you'd appreciate it if they'd smoke elsewhere. It isn't hard.

I'd like to make a point that though I sound contradicting, I'm not trying to, I just come across as such. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, in fact you're completely right, but I'm right too, and that can not be denied without being completely incorrect.
    I finf your ability to hold up a serious discussion nice, I don't run into that often enough, and I respect you for that.
    With this, I'm done, I believe I've made my point for everyone to hear, though it IS off topic, and doesn't relate whatsoever to my original post.
    To summarize, though the smoke inhalation by those who are in contact with those who smoke may cause a slow and untimely death, and alcohol slowly kills the user, and could kill those around them at any given point in time. I believe marijuana SHOULD be legalized, as it's financial benefits, as well as it's recreational benefits and medicinal benefits, SIGNIFICANTLY outweigh the negative effects. (Fun Fact, Marijuana Smoke contains less carcinogens than cigarette smoke, most anti-drug campaigns fight to emphasize the illegality of the substance, and falsify information about it, it does not control you, unless you let it, like alcohol.)
    It HAS been fun, I hope we meet again on the battlefield.

Years

Well Cigarette smoke =/= Marijuana smoke. Marijuana smoke lacks the tar, carcinogens, and nicotine, basically everything that makes cigarettes unhealthy.

And alchohol kills about as fast as a bad Rick Roll does. It takes many years for the body to accumulate enough damage from Alcohol abuse to significantly harm them. I.E, Liver failure at 50 or 60.

Dawn

Years

Well Cigarette smoke =/= Marijuana smoke. Marijuana smoke lacks the tar, carcinogens, and nicotine, basically everything that makes cigarettes unhealthy.

It's a myth that smoking marijuana isn't bad for you. =/ Smoking anything is bad for you. Even cigarettes can be made safe for human use by using the nicotine and tobacco in a way that isn't smoking them. So step off that horse.

We don't want to share your smoking habit and we expect you to respect that. If you won't, well, we have nothing more to discuss.

And alchohol kills about as fast as a bad Rick Roll does. It takes many years for the body to accumulate enough damage from Alcohol abuse to significantly harm them. I.E, Liver failure at 50 or 60.

Really? Explain the extremely sudden deaths of thousands of people every year at the hands of alcohol in things like drunk driver accidents. Explain violent drunks. Heck. Explain not-quite-violent drunks who like to harass people in other ways while you're at it. And don't derp up a storm about how the alcohol didn't "technically" kill these people, or hurt these people. We both know it directly and heavily influenced

Years

It's a myth that smoking marijuana isn't bad for you. =/ Smoking anything is bad for you. Even cigarettes can be made safe for human use by using the nicotine and tobacco in a way that isn't smoking them. So step off that horse.

We don't want to share your smoking habit and we expect you to respect that. If you won't, well, we have nothing more to discuss.

Really? Explain the extremely sudden deaths of thousands of people every year at the hands of alcohol in things like drunk driver accidents. Explain violent drunks. Heck. Explain not-quite-violent drunks who like to harass people in other ways while you're at it. And don't derp up a storm about how the alcohol didn't "technically" kill these people, or hurt these people. We both know it directly and heavily influenced

If you're not smoking it, then it wouldn't even be a cigarette? You can chew/ingest tobacco, and you'll still get mouth/throat/other varieties of cancer. Those harmful ingredients are in tobacco itself. So that point is void.

The fact that your assuming that I smoke/drink really exposes your naivety and prominent bias on the subject.

Uhhh.. the impact of the car crash is what kills people who get into accidents, not the alcohol. Alcohol is a factor, but ultimately it is not what physically kills. Notice when police and coroners investigate crashes, they use the "Alcohol was a factor" terminology.

EDIT:

Ultimately, responsibility for these things rests with the person. In the same way I don't blame my calculator for a poor math test grade. People need to learn to assume responsibility, and not deflect blame. You can't blame it on the A-A-A-AH-Al-Alco-Alcohol.

Last edited:

ZestyCactus

From Bulbapedia
    Years
    i'm a strong proponent of marijuana legalisation/decriminalization.

firstly, i think that the risks to health, etc are comparable to alcohol, which is legal but with restrictions. i think that marijuana should be given similar restrictions, allowing folks who use it medicinally or (responsibly) recreationally to do such.

secondly, i think that the idea of pot being a gateway drug is bunk. frankly, cigarettes and alcohol are the true "gateways". basically everyone i know who smokes/has smoked pot or done drugs smokes, and had access to alcohol before they had access to drugs.

i also think that legalising pot allows the legal system to divert resources to more important things. most of the bad things that can happen to pot-smokers are health related (they chose to take that risk) or related to the fact that it's illegal. as for intoxication-related risks, it's no worse than alcohol. frankly, stoners are easier to deal with than drunks imo haha. also, if the government were to sell and thus tax the hell out of weed, instead of wasting money stopping it, they could profit! 8D

finally, people of all ages and walks of life smoke pot anyways... not much would change, really, just that they wouldn't be breaking the law.

Back