• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Parents Be Allowed to Murder Child Molesters?

Years
  • I saw something on the 'net today with that exact title. It was in response to something that happened in Texas where a father walked in on his daughter being molested and then went into a rage and killed the guy with his own hands. [Here is the article if you want to read about it.]

Was what he did wrong? Right? Understandable under the circumstance? Should he be punished, and how? What are your thoughts on vigilant justice in general? Does the kind of victim or crime make a difference in how you feel about it?

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • It's definitely understandable under the circumstances. Was he in the right? Well, I don't know how I would react to seeing someone sexually abusing my 4 year old daughter but I can say that in the heat of the moment it's very likely I would do the same to the molester.

I do, however, think that the father in that instance would probably not kill the man given a second chance. I doubt he would want to live with knowing he killed anyone... and he will have to live with it.

That said, I don't believe people should ever be allowed to murder others especially in a case like this. Emotion gets the best of us, and I don't think most people would take the option to kill someone given the opportunity to think it over.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
    Years
  • Killing is never okay. You can't say that what this father did was right.
    That is like trying to stop someone from hurting someone else by shedding their blood all over the freaking room. In this circumstance, I can see /why/ the father went to the extremes(parental nature to protect their children), but he could still be held for manslaughter out of blind rage or murder.

I don't think he should have too harsh of charges, but he'll get something.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    ^ In general, killing is not okay. The concept of murdering another human being is not okay. BUT the circumstances and intentions are huge factors. This is not homicide, this was not pre-meditated murder, this was an act of defence. I can't put it in a better way than this so I'm just gonna quote.
    Murder is a grave offence in any country and the laws are designed to provide justice to the victim's family, keeping in mind the circumstances, and state of mind of the murderer. There are different degrees of murder, depending on the intention behind the killing, and the way the murder is committed.
    I don't think this man has a killer mind, he was just protecting his daughter and was obviously blinded by anger, as any parent would be. Also, the article says that the father did not even intend to kill him and that he did not know he would, either. And what counts too is that the dad didn't use a weapon. All these factors count for him. And also, with my eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth mentality, I think the man got what he had coming and imo it is justified. People forget that our roles are to reproduce and protect our children, and by all means necessary even if it means killing someone.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ^ In general, killing is not okay. The concept of murdering another human being is not okay. BUT the circumstances and intentions are huge factors. This is not homicide, this was not pre-meditated murder, this was an act of defence. I can't put it in a better way than this so I'm just gonna quote.

I don't think this man has a killer mind, he was just protecting his daughter and was obviously blinded by anger, as any parent would be. Also, the article says that the father did not even intend to kill him and that he did not know he would, either. And what counts too is that the dad didn't use a weapon. All these factors count for him. And also, with my eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth mentality, I think the man got what he had coming and imo it is justified. People forget that our roles are to reproduce and protect our children, and by all means necessary even if it means killing someone.

Under the law this qualifies as voluntary manslaughter, which is killing without an intent to kill, but instead an intent to cause serious harm or provocation. So manslaughter is less serious in the eyes of the law. I mean of course it is serious but it's not murder.

I wouldn't go as far to say that our role is to reproduce and protect our children as a justification for murdering anyone that might harm our children. I would say that the murder is wrong but justifiable, which are two different things. Something being justifiable is something that a reasonable person might do, regardless of the morality of it. But that still makes it wrong. While I sympathize with why he did it, as he did have other options it makes sense to punish him for manslaughter.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

Under the law this qualifies as voluntary manslaughter, which is killing without an intent to kill, but instead an intent to cause serious harm or provocation. So manslaughter is less serious in the eyes of the law. I mean of course it is serious but it's not murder.

I wouldn't go as far to say that our role is to reproduce and protect our children as a justification for murdering anyone that might harm our children. I would say that the murder is wrong but justifiable, which are two different things. Something being justifiable is something that a reasonable person might do, regardless of the morality of it. But that still makes it wrong. While I sympathize with why he did it, as he did have other options it makes sense to punish him for manslaughter.
    O yeah that was the word I couldn't really think of, but the manslaughter thing yeah. I read about it a few months ago and it was something similar to this. Anyway I agree on the justifying thing, I couldn't word it as well but that was probably what I meant. I can just see myself doing the same if I caught a man molesting my child, well if it was in my power to kill with my bare hands that is.

But to answer the topic, I think that sounds a little strange because that's like giving parents the right to kill in cases where their child is molested, which is something completely different from this obviously.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Given the circumstances he was in, I think it is... understandable? Almost as if it was in self-defense. There would be repercussions and judicial fall-out though, of course. But, I think the situation described is very different than if he had learned about after the fact and purposely went and hunt the guy down.

I don't know if murder was the true intent here. He probably wanted him the damn hell away from her.

Manslaughter of some kind I think.

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    If I were in the parent's situation, I would probably beat-up the pedophile but not kill him. However, this parent said that he did not think he was going to kill the man molesting his daughter. In a rage (provocation) and imperfect self-defense, with an intent to protect the child, I would say that this man has a lot of mitigating factors that help his case.

I think he should be charged with voluntary manslaughter, and the sentencing should be nominal, up to 90 days in jail and/or fines.

Years
  • Vigilante justice won't solve your problem. Sure, the molester is dead, but then your butt gets hauled off to jail in his place, only compounding the problems for the child further. Then again, the Justice system isn't fool proof either, recent events in Florida show that exceptionally well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I have to agree, the guy went too far in killing him though for the guy it must have been horrid to see one's child molested hrr... he should've punched the guy out and called the police.

Years
  • lolno.

I understand where the feelings come from and if that was me in the vunurable and angry situation, I would feel like taking their life, but it isn't the right thing to do.

"Two wrongs don't make a right."

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Nobody should be allowed to murder anybody ever period. I'd grant the guy a "unstoppable rage" circumstance but he should go to jail either way.

Also I'm completely against vigilantes, policemen should be the only ones allowed to use legal force if we don't want to become a Jungle Law world where people can attack and/or kill other people just because they seemed suspicious to them without any sort of control.

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    I really only see vigilantism being an option when a nation is unable to protect it's people.
    There are extremists in the U.S. who are overtly paranoid of the government and express that we are in a police state. But, the U.S. is far from this! There are many injustices and flaws to our legal/justice system and the law, but it is proficient/adequate; these people could try living in one of many third world countries or China and quickly appreciate the freedoms and protections that we often take for granted in the U.S. Don't I sound all quasi-patriotic. ;p

Years
  • And also, with my eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth mentality, I think the man got what he had coming and imo it is justified.
    Are you inadvertently saying that molesting someone deserves a death penalty?

Reading a lot of comments elsewhere on the web regarding this, I came across a lot of people who said things like "he deserves a medal" and who were almost glad the man was killed. Plenty of other people said things like "Murder is wrong, but that guy had it coming."

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Are you inadvertently saying that molesting someone deserves a death penalty?

Reading a lot of comments elsewhere on the web regarding this, I came across a lot of people who said things like "he deserves a medal" and who were almost glad the man was killed. Plenty of other people said things like "Murder is wrong, but that guy had it coming."
    No, I am not saying that he would have deserved a death penalty. That's a completely different thing from protecting your child, which is just, even if in the process the attacker is killed, he was not out to murder him or decided he had to die like with a death penalty. I don't really know why you try to nitpick like that because it seems obvious that it's two different things and that I didn't mean that.

lolno.

I understand where the feelings come from and if that was me in the vunurable and angry situation, I would feel like taking their life, but it isn't the right thing to do.

"Two wrongs don't make a right."
    If you would read the article, you'd know that the father did not want to kill the molester and didn't even know that his punches were fatal until afterwards, and that it wasn't at all what he was aiming to do. People here are saying that WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG AND OH HE SHOULD NOT HAVE MURDERED ETC, but he didn't.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Yes!

If a parent catches the molester in the act, it is reasonable for the parent to act in defense of their child's life and safety.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Yoshikkko said:
    I don't really know why you try to nitpick like that because it seems obvious that it's two different things and that I didn't mean that.

It really wasn't all that obvious; I picked up the same thing from your post before I read Scarf's response. In any case, I'm sure the question was in the interest of discussion, not accusation.

As for my take on the topic in general, I think what the father did was understandable given the 'papa bear' mentality and whatnot, but it was not a smart move. People are often blinded when children are involved, and they don't make smart choices. As Livewire said, this will only land him in jail in the place of the molester - and in my opinion, that's exactly what should happen. I think there should be some leniency due to circumstances, but in the end regardless he did kill somebody and he should have to pay the price for that just like anybody else.

Cheshire Absol

Zombie <3
    Years
  • Killing is never justified.
    However, I do believe that under the circumstances it wasn't okay, exactly, just understandable. I think, sometimes when we are angered, it causes an adrenaline rush to kick in to our system, kind of like a superhero's metamorphosis. It completely blinds everything, it just leaves this seething anger. This anger eliminates all logic, it just tells us to act fast.
    I wouldn't say this father did the right thing, I will just say it was understandable and his charges, if any, shouldn't be heavily executed.
    EDIT-Just read over Shining Raichu's thoughts...and I realized my input was a lot similar to his, in the words and such. My deepest apologies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't think what he did was murder, as he did not intend to kill based on what I read. I don't think it would classify as accidental death either though. Probably some degree of manslaughter.

I agree that some kind of legal course of action (or punishment) should come into play here. But, personally I think substantial jail time wouldn't be appropriate given the circumstances. It wasn't like they had a fight and it went wrong, he was defending his daughter who could not defend her self. I think it is very close to self-defense, without the "self" part though of course. And yet, at the same time, also very different from vigilante justice.

Personally I'd give him a fine. Or max a month of jail time. If more jail time would be deemed appropriate, then less than a year.

I'm not trying to look at it as "oh, no loss. He deserved what he got", I'm looking at it more on intent and circumstances. If he found out after the fact and went to the molester's house and purposely killed him - then yeah, lock him up. That'd be totally out of line. But this just seems like an accident to me.

So, to answer the thread's topic... no parents should not be allowed to murder child molesters - but I don't think the question applies here because I don't see it as murder.

... also.. totally replied to this thread twice because I forgot I did once before XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2012
    Well....his child is being attacked and uncomfortabl wit hit.....it would be like asking ,"Is it okay to let a wolf maul and devour your child in front of your eyes? Damn right you kill that sunava *****! (sorry for my language)

Back