• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Should the Blue and Yellow versions have a remake?

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
  • I love Gen 1.But I got bored on playing the game over and over again.Nostalgia was not enough.But since Red and Green versions have remakes,I was hoping that they can do the same on the Blue and Yellow versions too.

Your opinions everyone?

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Leaf Green actually is a remake of what we know as the Blue Version. The cartridges were Red and Green in Japan, but they changed Green to Blue for the US version originally. They probably should have called it "Water Blue" instead of "Leaf Green" to spare us the confusion.

That being said, I'm surprised they didn't remake the Yellow version along with the others. Maybe it wasn't popular enough? I think that would be nice to see.

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • Leaf Green actually is a remake of what we know as the Blue Version. The cartridges were Red and Green in Japan, but they changed Green to Blue for the US version originally. They probably should have called it "Water Blue" instead of "Leaf Green" to spare us the confusion.

That being said, I'm surprised they didn't remake the Yellow version along with the others. Maybe it wasn't popular enough? I think that would be nice to see.

I think so.Maybe on a 3ds I guess?

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Nope. Red and Green are the original releases of the Pokémon games in Japan. Pokémon Blue was released after, and the code for it was the basis for Pokémon Red and Blue internationally. We're observing Red and Green's upcoming anniversary for the release of the Virtual Console games. FireRed and LeafGreen are based off the original releases. No idea why Nintendo of America / The Pokémon Company chose not to localise it as a Blue remake instead.

As for Blue and Yellow, I think that ship has sailed. Not only do we have the remakes but we also have the Virtual Console releases. Doubt we'll see anything relating to Blue/Yellow for a while — and I'm sure some of the fanbase would rather demand a Diamond/Pearl remake.

I don't think anyone really cared at that point to take even the slightest expense to change things in the game considering Pokemon was a well-known brand by then.

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • Nope. Red and Green are the original releases of the Pokémon games in Japan. Pokémon Blue was released after, and the code for it was the basis for Pokémon Red and Blue internationally. We're observing Red and Green's upcoming anniversary for the release of the Virtual Console games. FireRed and LeafGreen are based off the original releases. No idea why Nintendo of America / The Pokémon Company chose not to localise it as a Blue remake instead.

As for Blue and Yellow, I think that ship has sailed. Not only do we have the remakes but we also have the Virtual Console releases. Doubt we'll see anything relating to Blue/Yellow for a while — and I'm sure some of the fanbase would rather demand a Diamond/Pearl remake.

Maybe DP will have a remake but could there be a chance for Yellow to be remaked?Because I want to see Pikachu's cry revamped to a new style.

Years
  • I'm not really sure how I would feel about that. I'm on the fence. On one hand I think it would be sweet to relive Red in a new way with far improved graphics and that sort of thing, but then on the other hand, the original was so special to me I might just want to keep it in the special place in my childhood.

Not sure tho... ~_~

Hiro Aku

Grand Cyndaquil Trainer
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind a REAL 3ds remake of Kanto where the starters and games itself have a real better storyline and more intensive remake with graphics that exceed.

Then again, I'm overthinking it.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I doubt it will happen with all 3 being released in e-shop for 3ds and with THERE OWN 3DSS (I WANT THAT CHARIZARD PLATE) oh and the link cable continues to R.I.P cause all 3 games have been given wireless. Meaning we can trade and battle with people without sitting next to them!!!!! So alakazam is accessible.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I don't really have much of a care for this. The idea of a remake for the games is cool but to be honest I would rather stick with the original versions.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I'd prefer a sequel to the Kanto games (more like years after the events of G/S/C) for the 3DS to have a lot more variety.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • In all honesty, I am sick of Kanto and to some extent Johto. We've already had our fair share of Kanto. I mean it has appeared in RBY, GSC, FRLG and HGSS. I don't think there is anything else they can really do to spice it up or make it any more appealing that it currently is with HGSS. Perhaps update the graphics yes, but other than that, I'm not sure what there is to change.

I'd be much more receptive to a remake of DPPt, considering it's only fair they receive a remake sooner or later and it's been forever since they were first released. It may not be the most popular of generations, but with the capacity of and the possibilities the 3DS presents, a DPPt remake seems a lot more fun and a lot more enjoyable. It's definitely on my wish list in regards to new main series Pokemon games.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • In all honesty, I am sick of Kanto and to some extent Johto. We've already had our fair share of Kanto. I mean it's has appeared in RBY, GSC, FRLG and HGSS. I don't think there is anything else they can really do to spice it up or make it any more appealing that it currently is with HGSS. Perhaps update the graphics yes, but other than that, I'm not sure what there is to change.

I'd be much more receptive to a remake of DPPt, considering it's only fair they receive a remake sooner or later and it's been forever since they were first released. It may not be the most popular of generations, but with the capacity of and the possibilities the 3DS presents, a DPPt remake seems a lot more fun and a lot more enjoyable. It's definitely on my wish list in regards to new main series Pokemon games.
    Funny enough DP are the best selling games following RG/RB and GS. So even if we may not see them as popular they were popular at one point at least in terms of sales. I prefer a DP remake too over Yellow or Blue. Fun fact, FrLg were meant to include the Surfing Pikachu mini game and other stuff from Yellow, but were cut off.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    To be honest I'd like to see any future remakes of Gen 1 add more regions. I've wondered for a long time why I couldn't go to multiple regions, face multiple elite fours etc. In gold/silver/crystal we got johto and we got to go back to kanto so why not expand on that idea? Perhaps there isn't enough memory on the cartridge but if there was personally that's what I'd like to see.

Years
  • I love Gen 1.But I got bored on playing the game over and over again.Nostalgia was not enough.But since Red and Green versions have remakes,I was hoping that they can do the same on the Blue and Yellow versions too.
    LeafGreen was effectively a remake of Blue, but named after the original sequence in the series because substantial interest in the Pokémon series tends to be very retro.

Admittedly it might have been better if they had chosen a name which was less suspect for that game, given that they were presumably trying to make things like the Red-Green-Yellow-Ho-Oh-Lugia (in the sky with diamonds) thing not seem that suspect, whether or not nostalgia was enough (did you dislike Gen. I or the 're-makes'), but in any case. When it comes to 'Yellow,' that might be worth a try if they had any particular ideas for taking that and its story, etc., in a particular direction, but in terms of the game itself they tend to make remakes more or less arbitrarily and frequently detract from any direction those games had, so that a fairly thematic spin-off for those games might seem a bit further than they could usually go. As things are now they would be effectively ripping off the games. It's a bit strange that nostalgia not being enough you wish for the games to be re-made arbitrarily, it would seem, though.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd prefer a sequel to the Kanto games (more like years after the events of G/S/C) for the 3DS to have a lot more variety.

This. All of my this. I'd prefer a sequel to G/S/C and R/B/Y's stories over an actual 3D remake.

What point would there be in remaking Blue or Yellow? I mean, with Mega Evolution possible, maybe they could, but I'd prefer it to be a completely different story from R/B/Y. Maybe. I don't know, I'm shaky with this.

Delta Story opens possibilities to there being an alternate Kanto, so instead of a remake, how about a 3D remodel of Kanto, with a new story, resolving around Mega Evolution or whatever? It's possible...

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • Delta Story opens possibilities to there being an alternate Kanto, so instead of a remake, how about a 3D remodel of Kanto, with a new story, resolving around Mega Evolution or whatever? It's possible...

A Delta story with Mew would be great.Fighting alongside with it against a revenge seeking Mewtwo(Mega Evolved) might be a great Idea.Or maybe a Delta story about Vulcanion?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I don't really see a point in remaking the Japanese "Pokemon Blue", since Pokemon LeafGreen essentially functions as a hybrid-ish remake of the Japanese Pokemon Blue (in terms of game engine and script) and the Japanese Pokemon Green (in terms of version-exclusive Pokemon and general wild Pokemon availability/encounter rates).. Pokemon Yellow could have used a remake during the Game Boy Advance since at least the plotline, some features, and some music additions significantly differ from Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, although the time has passed, I guess, and the Pokemon Yellow re-release allows one to experience all those things anyway..

Regarding remaking Kanto (again) at all, I think the appearances in Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen suffice and are presentable for future re-releases.. There is (arguably) not much you can do with Kanto at this point (I guess you could expand on yet another Team Rocket return and certain Pokemon Trainers; I'm not sure why you'd want to though since Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal achieved that already, and all we really need "extracted" are the Pokemon themselves and certain Pokemon Trainers); the "Kanto" plotline has already received a sequel (amidst multiple homages in Pokemon X and Y), the music has been remixed dozens of times in multiple media, the Pokemon have already been individually graphically updated in other games, we know what Kanto looks like, and any major new features would probably be better suited for a new game/pair of games in the Pokemon core series..

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I don't really see a point in remaking the Japanese "Pokemon Blue", since Pokemon LeafGreen essentially functions as a hybrid-ish remake of the Japanese Pokemon Blue (in terms of game engine and script) and the Japanese Pokemon Green (in terms of version-exclusive Pokemon and general wild Pokemon availability/encounter rates).. Pokemon Yellow could have used a remake during the Game Boy Advance since at least the plotline, some features, and some music additions significantly differ from Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, although the time has passed, I guess, and the Pokemon Yellow re-release allows one to experience all those things anyway..

That is what I was thinking. While a previous poster was technically correct that Japanese Green was not equivalent to our Blue, neither was the Japanese Blue. If you ever play the Japanese Green, you'll see why they used Blue's engine... it's practically the same game with a few bugs fixed and better graphics. I think there are a couple of dungeons with different layouts, but that's all. They didn't deny us an edition of the game so much as they denied us a beta version of the game that was even bugger than the one we know. That's all just IMHO, but I don't think we missed out on anything worthwhile.

I really don't know if a VC release diminishes the case for a remake, though. They remade Ocarina of Time for the 3DS even though that had a VC release already. I don't think there's as much value in a VC release as a remake, because a VC game is basically just a ROM running in an official emulator. On top of that, I still have Pokémon Yellow and have no need to buy it because that game still works. I might buy a remake, though, simply to experience the new features.
    Regarding remaking Kanto (again) at all, I think the appearances in Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen suffice and are presentable for future re-releases.. There is (arguably) not much you can do with Kanto at this point (I guess you could expand on yet another Team Rocket return and certain Pokemon Trainers; I'm not sure why you'd want to though since Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal achieved that already, and all we really need "extracted" are the Pokemon themselves and certain Pokemon Trainers); the "Kanto" plotline has already received a sequel (amidst multiple homages in Pokemon X and Y), the music has been remixed dozens of times in multiple media, the Pokemon have already been individually graphically updated in other games, we know what Kanto looks like, and any major new features would probably be better suited for a new game/pair of games in the Pokemon core series..

Well, as far as Kanto itself, I think a game that goes further into the past might be interesting. Suppose you play during a time when Prof. Oak was younger, the Pokédex hadn't been invented yet so you have to write down entries manually in a Journal, Flint was still the Pewter City Gym leader, etc. Maybe you would even have to have physical Poké Ball storage in various Pokémon Centers because PC storage hasn't been invented yet, and you would have to go to the Center where you deposited the Pokémon to get it back.

A new game in the Kanto region might be interesting... probably better than a remake.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I'd prefer a sequel to the Kanto games (more like years after the events of G/S/C) for the 3DS to have a lot more variety.
    This. I agree with this.

Other than that, I really don't see much reason to have a Blue or Yellow remake, and since they're releasing the ports, I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon. We already had the GBA remakes of Red/Green and HGSS gave us another revamped romp around Kanto. Personally, I wouldn't be much interested in them, but hey, I've been very wrong before. There was a time when I thought they'd never remake Ruby/Sapphire.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • That is what I was thinking. While a previous poster was technically correct that Japanese Green was not equivalent to our Blue, neither was the Japanese Blue. If you ever play the Japanese Green, you'll see why they used Blue's engine... it's practically the same game with a few bugs fixed and better graphics. I think there are a couple of dungeons with different layouts, but that's all. They didn't deny us an edition of the game so much as they denied us a beta version of the game that was even bugger than the one we know. That's all just IMHO, but I don't think we missed out on anything worthwhile.

I really don't know if a VC release diminishes the case for a remake, though. They remade Ocarina of Time for the 3DS even though that had a VC release already. I don't think there's as much value in a VC release as a remake, because a VC game is basically just a ROM running in an official emulator. On top of that, I still have Pokémon Yellow and have no need to buy it because that game still works. I might buy a remake, though, simply to experience the new features.

Well, as far as Kanto itself, I think a game that goes further into the past might be interesting. Suppose you play during a time when Prof. Oak was younger, the Pokédex hadn't been invented yet so you have to write down entries manually in a Journal, Flint was still the Pewter City Gym leader, etc. Maybe you would even have to have physical Poké Ball storage in various Pokémon Centers because PC storage hasn't been invented yet, and you would have to go to the Center where you deposited the Pokémon to get it back.

A new game in the Kanto region might be interesting... probably better than a remake.

Ah; I think there were some slight dungeon alterations, although I would have to double-check about that.. (I'm not sure how drastic the differences are, but slightly different dungeon layouts could have made for a nice version-exclusive feature, as long as one game isn't shafted). I see your points about remakes arising despite the existence of the Virtual Console; in Pokemon's case, if Pokemon Yellow were getting a remake, I would feel that it would have to be about 5 to 10 years from now, or maybe when the Pokemon anime reaches a particular anniversary/milestone to make such a remake worthwhile..

A "past Kanto" adventure sounds interesting, although I would hope that it wouldn't be a complete re-tread of the events that young Samuel Oak partook in during Pokemon 4Ever - Celebi: Voice of the Forest. Additionally, I think that a "past adventure" for Kalos would be more interesting and a much better use of resources, since Kalos seems like it has way more untapped/un-implemented things than Kanto does. Moreover, manually writing down Pokedex entries and the proposal of physical Poke Ball retrieval sound interesting in concept/theory, but I feel like that implementation would be a major downgrade from the Generation 1 Pokemon games (which, amidst all of their flaws, at least had some convenient things like Poke Ball teleportation and automatic Pokedex entry recording {XD}), unless the game came with something that was super-fun/interesting/convenient to offset the loss in convenience... But who knows - there's probably an idea or two that could pop up for gameplay.

Back