• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the children of illegal immigrants be allowed to enroll in US public schools?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I want to know what your opinions on this are. Should they be allowed in public schools? Why do you think they should or shouldn't be allowed?

I think they should be. I mean, if the child was born here because of their illegal parents, they are technically considered american. We also have the no child left behind act as well. I don't see any reason why they don't deserve to have an education just like any other child.

I found this as a quick poll on the mediacom website I checked. I thought it brought up a good debate for people to discuss.

Tek

Years
  • How else are American corporations going to expand their domestic sales?

But really, it's in the Constitution that if you're born here, you're an American. The people who wrote that document were well aware that immigrants would come here and have children; they must have been, being educated men who were themselves the children of immigrants. And yet, they made no caveats about the legal status of one's parents.

This issue is in the national spotlight due to the large number of "undocumented" Central Americans living here. Perhaps they were unable to forsee the current relationship between Mexico, her neighbors, and the U.S., but I find that unlikely as well. I think the intent to make the country's borders span from coast to coast was already present, and this particular group of men were very intelligent.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • What's messed up is the fact the poll I had got this from actually opposed this. About 70% said no, and only a 20% of people said yes. I don't understand why it's so wrong since they are already, like you and even I said, americans by law by being born here.

Not unless someone can prove me wrong about this. Here is an article that goes more into the discussion for the topic. (The other article I tried post wasn't letting me load it, so I had to find something else)

I think one of the reasons they all say no is because of the parents themselves. They aren't even thinking about how the children are already americanized. This quote makes an excellent point about it:

"Public school districts have an obligation to enroll students regardless of immigration status and without discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin," Mr. Holder said in a statement released Thursday by the Justice Department.

Last edited:

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I just want to mention the fact that, here in Denmark, a person born in Denmark is not automatically a Dane. You have to apply for danish citizenship, and that is not always granted. As a matter of fact, the Danish constitution says that you can only be Danish if you are so by law. Which in practice means that every once in a while, the parliament has to pass a law with the names of all new Danes declaring them Danish.

But everybody can attend a danish school. No restrictions. Foreigners in Denmark over 18 can even apply for the Educational Grant just like Danes can - earning what equates to about 960$ per month for taking an education.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Children really shouldn't be held accountable for the crimes of their parents, so I see no reason why children of undocumented immigrants shouldn't be able to enroll in public schools.

Ideally, having their children in public schools should encourage undocumented immigrants to engage the system and become legal, but it unfortunately doesn't always work that way.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Children really shouldn't be held accountable for the crimes of their parents, so I see no reason why children of undocumented immigrants shouldn't be able to enroll in public schools.

I completely agree with this logic, however I wanted to add something. When children get removed from school after years of attending with no notice it is devastating to them (for the most of them.) It's a very cruel way to punish them and the parents which it does ultimately do as well.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • How else are American corporations going to expand their domestic sales?

But really, it's in the Constitution that if you're born here, you're an American. The people who wrote that document were well aware that immigrants would come here and have children; they must have been, being educated men who were themselves the children of immigrants. And yet, they made no caveats about the legal status of one's parents.

This issue is in the national spotlight due to the large number of "undocumented" Central Americans living here. Perhaps they were unable to forsee the current relationship between Mexico, her neighbors, and the U.S., but I find that unlikely as well. I think the intent to make the country's borders span from coast to coast was already present, and this particular group of men were very intelligent.
    The problem isn't with natural-born citizens of immigrant parents. Nobody with half a brain should be arguing that legal citizens of the US shouldn't be allowed to attend public schools. The problem is with children who have lived here most of their life but lack legal status.

Personally, I think this is something the law should be a bit more flexible on. Does it really matter if someone's lived here for 8 years versus 9? I mean, come on.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Yes, a child should never suffer due to who their parents are.

For me, it's as simple as that.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Everyone deserves the opportunity to get educated, I feel.

It's not their fault their parents are illegal, or that they are immigrants. So why should they be punished? If these kids want an education, want to make use of their American footing and get somewhere with their young lives, by all means. There's no reason at all that children should ever have to suffer alongside their parents. They deserve the opportunity to make a life for themselves here.

That's what America was based on to begin with, right?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think the technical answer should be 'no', but the moral answer overrides that most of the time.

If someone has moved to a country illegally, IE without the correct visa, via smuggling or whatnot then they should not be entitled to the benefits of being a citizen. They should not be able to receive benefits, medical care, free schooling, etc. Even if they are innocent children they should still be bound by law. Ideally, illegal immigrants would be found and send out before their children were of age to attend school.

But then we get the moral dilemma. In the western world, we are (generally) of the opinion that everyone has a right to education. To deny a child that right would be immoral, by our standards. So despite it being illegal and unfair, how can we deny a child somewhere to learn?

;-;

Years
  • This applies more along to the question of "Will you do what's right for you or what's right for everyone?"

There are arguments on both sides that are very strong and therefore remain to keep this dilemma in a deadlock.

Sir Codin

No one has the right to dictate where any person period should get their education. Even if they are illegals.

Hell, no one has the right to dictate where any person should live either.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yes, it is not the children's fault if the parent has committed the crime. Everyone who is in American, born here or not, should be educated fairly. I believe if a child is born in America or if one parent is an America citizen, then the child has dual citizenship (meaning they are an American citizen and are a citizen of the other country they were born in). That is how I am. They should also have all of the rights that Americans have.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    This applies more along to the question of "Will you do what's right for you or what's right for everyone?"

There are arguments on both sides that are very strong and therefore remain to keep this dilemma in a deadlock.

I don't think that quote really applies, as there's a lot of people on both sides, the immigrants and the citizens, so there is no hint as to which side is "you" and which side is "everyone". One could argue that it's right for everyone (every citizen) to not allow the children to get educated, because they are being forced to pay for educating a citizen that will not pay taxes and whose parents are not paying taxes themselves. One could also argue that it's right for everyone (every illegal immigrant) to allow the children to get educated, because they are human and should be educated.

The issue is not set up as a one vs. everyone issue so the quote can't really apply. The groups on both sides are massive. I'm not even sold that it's an adversarial issue where doing what's right for one group necessarily is bad for the other group.

Years
  • I think it just makes sense to educate everyone. If you like the American way of life then why wouldn't you want to educate more people in an American environment? And in a more general sense, isn't it good for everyone to have more educated people who are able to provide more for society either in invention, service, or some other way? I don't think we would want to take away opportunities from people because then people will need be more likely to need assistance since they won't have made the best for themselves.

My personal feeling is that a lot of people who are against allowing non-citizen and/or non-resident children into public schools are kinda basing it on some kind of racist fear. Again, just my personal feeling, but we in America sometimes act like there is a finite limit on everything, including education. If the USA would actually put a decent amount of money into education this really wouldn't be as much of an issue because there wouldn't be as much worry about "those immigrants taking our jobs good schools."

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I want to know what your opinions on this are. Should they be allowed in public schools? Why do you think they should or shouldn't be allowed?

I think they should be. I mean, if the child was born here because of their illegal parents, they are technically considered american. We also have the no child left behind act as well. I don't see any reason why they don't deserve to have an education just like any other child.

I found this as a quick poll on the mediacom website I checked. I thought it brought up a good debate for people to discuss.

Quite simply the answer is yes, they should. Children should never be made to be victims of circumstance.

Back