• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the difficulty be increased?

Years
    Let's be real here: X and Y were WAY too easy. You could pretty much breeze through the game with little to no effort.

"Oh, but Rick, just turn off the EXP Share."

Yeah, I did that. The game is still way too easy when you turn it off.

Do you think this game should be more of a challenge or was the difficulty in X and Y good as is?

Years
    When you look at most Pokemon games, excluding Gen 1 and perhaps Gen 2, the games weren't necessarily THAT hard to beat, the games got hard at about the Elite Four but throughout the majority of the region there wasn't too much difficulty. Now when we look at Gen 6 the games were ridiculously easy, even the Elite Four who are regarded as the best trainers in the region only had four Pokemon in Kalos (most of which could be sweeped due to the lack of diversity) and personally I think that ruins the fun of the game, it's not as enjoyable playing when you can literally win everything with minimal effort.

I think the difficulty has to increase in SM, whether the EXP Share gets reverted to its old system (which I think needs to happen) or we get a challenge mode, something has to give.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yes the difficulty needs to increase, and it's not the exp. shares fault. I could make a decent game by giving the E4 level 70-80 pokemon, instead of 30 levels below your own >:(

Years
    During the E3 footage it could be possible that Sun & Moon are reverting to the 5th Gen EXP system which means very hard level grinding. Maybe they'll do that while retaining 6th Gen Exp. Share but game footage is not final so it's subject to change so I have a feeling they'll make it the same as X/Y, and have the EXP system function like non-5th Gen games.

Outlier

I wish it would but I think gamefreak care more about catering to casual fans these days. I'm not looking for Dark Souls levels of difficulty here, I just want a respectable challenge which is what I feel we got for the most part up until the 6th gen games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2016
    Definitely. I want a challenge. I miss those times when I had to grind my pokemon before every gym battle.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Difficulty options>just changing the level of the singular difficulty option. Not everyone wants the same level of difficulty.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I wish it would but I think gamefreak care more about catering to casual fans these days. I'm not looking for Dark Souls levels of difficulty here, I just want a respectable challenge which is what I feel we got for the most part up until the 6th gen games.
    Now I wouldn't mind dark souls difficulty
    The fact that we have difficulty hacks for third gen games, never mind 6th gen shows we need a difficulty boost. And a lot of fans aren't casual, being casual in video games is just bad practice IMO.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Should these games have options for higher difficulties: Absolutely.

Will these games receive options for higher difficulties: Probably not.

It may sound really jaded, but people have been asking for more difficult pokemon games since I want to say generation three (Generation three was when I first started hearing talk about making the games harder), despite the voice for increasing difficulty has gotten louder and louder, but with each passing generation it's always ignored.
    So I just expect every pokemon game to always be easy, and if I want it to be difficult I find ways to make the game difficult for myself on my own terms. Plus if I always expect every pokemon game to be easy... maybe one day they will finally release a generation that is really hard, and then when I get to play it, I will be pleasantly surprised and a lot less jaded.

Years
    While the others do want options for Challenge Mode-like difficulty, I feel it and Easy Mode was intended to be a B2/W2 feature only and we also have to remember Pokemon's target audience is young children, mainly around 7-10. Kids that age wouldn't want an extremely difficult game that would cause them to constantly ragequit, and we also have to know that we've gotten older with each new Pokemon game but we have also gotten smarter.

The games aren't getting easier for us, we're just better players than we used to be.

blue

gucci
    Years
    X/Y were really easy in comparison to past games regardless of how you played, there's no question about it. I purposely played with the Exp. Share switched off from the start and I still can't remember a tough battle I had aside from the final battle with Lysandre. It does becomes obvious how stripped back the games are in terms of difficulty when compared to past titles such as Platinum or Emerald.

Having optional play styles seems like the best option to remedy the situation which seems to be an issue for many people. B2W2 proved it is possible to do this with the Easy, Normal and Hard modes which worked perfectly imo. I know this has been said multiple times but having something like this really does cater to a much wider audience.

Years
    OH! I completely forgot about the challenge mode in B2/W2. Maybe they could bring that back? It might've been a one-time thing, but it'd be nice for those who'd like a challenge.

Outlier

Older players might be getting better but it doesn't take long to familiarise yourself with the battle mechanics and basic formula of the games. Even when I go back to play the older games that I've already completed several times I still generally found them to be a noticeably harder challenge than getting through the main story of XY and ORAS.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    To be fair, Pokémon is a game intended for kids, they're the audience they're trying to please more so they can be a part of their franchise and fall in love with Pokémon. Kids nowadays you could say give up more easily, so therefore, GF makes the games easier for the kids.

But as in terms of difficulty, I can't see GF making a difficulty setting because how about the new people who are going to play Pokémon? They might not want to play it easy and then realize they'd made a mistake & not want to restart their game so they just give it up.

To me, the difficulty is insanely easy, so I find more joy about the concept and plot of the game instead :P But in terms of difficulty you can always change the way you play, like turning off the EXP share and making your game into a nuzlocke. Just turning off your EXP share won't do nothing, its just there to help you train & level up your Pokémon, its not a difficulty setting :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I thought Black/White 2/2 were harder than X/Y. It took me less than 24 hours total to complete my X game. I went to the midnight release and by 3am I was about to the 3rd badge.

So yeah I think there should be a setting where you can pick the level of difficulty.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    I would love for the difficulty to be increased, but realistically? That probably won't happen.

I remember someone saying in one of these threads before (I think I made a similar thread before) that well...Pokemon isn't difficult anymore for the simple fact that we're not really kids anymore; we can outsmart the AI, we can plan strategies that the AI doesn't, things like that. Has Pokemon actually changed at all as far as difficulty itself is concerned? Probably not, it's just most people have gotten better at Pokemon battling to the point where they feel the games no longer present any more a challenge than they used to.

That being said, the point if Pokemon is more than just battling, there's more than just catching Pokemon out there. The point is to, as silly as this sounds, have fun with your pocket monsters, go on an adventure and explore! Battling is one aspect of Pokemon that will probably be touched on a bit more this generation now that we have a professor that studies Pokemon moves, but that doesn't mean that the battles themselves would be inherently harder or easier. They've just...been as they've always been, really, for the most part.

I remember back when I really thought Platinum was the hardest, but that was because at that point in time, my Pokemon were roughly around the same level as Cynthia's, bar a few levels less, so of course it was a challenge. I think it had more to do with the type of Pokemon Cynthia was using rather than any actual battle strategies she had or lack thereof.

Tbh though, even ranting through all of this, I still wouldn't be against a set difficulty option. Give Gym Leaders more useful held items, give the Elite Four the same, and raise their levels by either 10-15 to give players an actual serious challenge. I mean, you're going to most likely out-level them anyway, but it'd be a fun experience actually batting with a high-leveled opponent instead of someone weaker, if that makes sense.

I agree with this, and I don't understand why a lot of people don't take this into consideration. Somebody in this thread had said RSE was easy for them, when it was the complete opposite for me. The reason why is because I didn't have a whole lot of experience with typing advantages and disadvantages, and I didn't use any "uber types" like Psychic, Dark, Ghost, Dragon, and Steel. I specifically remember having a tough time in Sapphire, but once I played Emerald things were a little bit easier since I had gained more experience playing Colosseum and LeafGreen.

Another thing is the Super-Training. The funny thing with that is you only have to use it once to activate it. Once you've used it only once, it doesn't turn off but runs in the background without you even realizing it. You'll see little sprites of your Pokemon using punching bags off and on, training their stats. Once that started happening to me in AlphaSapphire, my team had become insanely powerful I couldn't believe it.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    There should definitely be an option to choose the difficulty - as others have said, this was possible in B2/W2 and I can't see that as other than an advantage.

Yes while I agree the Pokemon series is primarily targeted at children, it wouldn't hurt to give experienced players the option to play at a more challenging difficulty. The Pokemon series has been out for so long that it's been part of a generation of children that have grown up with the series. I can only see that as an advantage where a Pokemon game can cater to both new players whilst not forgetting the many experienced players that have played previous titles.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    OH! I completely forgot about the challenge mode in B2/W2. Maybe they could bring that back? It might've been a one-time thing, but it'd be nice for those who'd like a challenge.
    Wait, what? There was a "Hard Mode" in B/W2? ...man sounds like I missed out. lol
    Well, wait... if a harder setting was actually designed in a previous game, why would they take it out?! It was an option right? So was not like it was forced upon new players, right?
    This is just like Emerald's Battle Frontier all over again... Game Freak takes one step forward then two steps back.
    I really just don't get it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Wait, what? There was a "Hard Mode" in B/W2? ...man sounds like I missed out. lol
    There was, it was just a total pain in the ass to use. You had to beat the game first before even getting the option to change the difficulty, and there was only one extra setting per version. If you wanted to play hard/easy mode but didn't have the version that gives you the key for that, you either had to get the other version (and of course beat the game all over again) or physically swap keys with another player. Not one of their shining moments in the series really.

Well, wait... if a harder setting was actually designed in a previous game, why would they take it out?! It was an option right? So was not like it was forced upon new players, right?
    This is just like Emerald's Battle Frontier all over again... Game Freak takes one step forward then two steps back.
    I really just don't get it.
    I don't think we'll ever understand why the fuck Game Freak does this really -_-

Back