• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should they steer away from the Grass vs Water vs Fire starter triangle?

Do you wish for a new starter triangle?

• Yes, lets have a change.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No, I prefer the original concept.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Maybe, I dont really know.

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

PB.

'PB
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I really don't think they would because it is an original concept from the days of Red and Blue so it seems doubtful.

It would be intresting if they did, but it probably wont happen.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I would enjoy it, they could do Dark x Psychic x Fighting or Electric x Ice x Rock

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Eh, I say keep it the same. The whole idea is for each one to have an advantage over another. Having steel/rock starters would be no fun IMO.

#Gecko#

Alert: Tacos Rule
    Years
  • Keep it that way. The only other triangle is the physical one. Being
    Fight> Rock> Flying>Fight

Years
  • No, It's like they're basic elements, even tho a water/electric/ground triangle wouldnt be that bad, since in pokemon yellow you started with pikachu, its for tradition that one. On the other side imagine having a dark/psychic/fighting triangle, even tho all pokemon have their weaknesses, starting with a psychic one would change the dificulty, since psychic attacks ussually harm most types...

Terry M

Weepinbell: Don't hurt me!!!!!
    Years
  • I don't think its a very good idea, it would ruin the tradition and chain.We already have trios, like Jynx, Electabuzz and Magamar.Those are all different types.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'd like something strange, like... Steel, Electric, and... Bug. 0_0 Would be interesting though.
    I'd probably go for the Electric Pokemon, so long as it's not Pikachu. xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Not sure. While it would be cool, fun, new, and all that stuff, Grass/Fire/Water is pretty good the way it is. Plus, it makes the game go smoothly; the first gyms are always worked to be simple types (Jhoto was kinda meh, but...). Rock, Water, Grass... They all can help or hinder the starter, and they're simple enough for the first-time-Pokemon-gamer to understand. Now, if they had to mess with the gym types, what then? Would a seven-year-old who's never played Pokemon before easily grasp the concept of Dark beats ghost, Psychic does neutral, and Fighting is screwed in the early game? No. It'd take them a while. And if they used the same style of gyms as they did previously, what's the challenge or the easiness to it? They all would do pretty much neutral damage. Grass/Fire/Water is just really simplistic and easy. Not to mention, Grass/Fire/Water starters are really, really powerful; some of the best Pokemon of their types. You can already get an Alakazam, or a Staraptor, or a lot of other good Pokemon for the other suggested types.

Back