• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shouldn't Ash have GirlFriend by Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    The closest thing we'll see to Ash having a girlfriend is the relationship he had with Misty. 10 years old is too young for a character to have a deep romantic relationship to be important to the plot.

I agree that Ash's dream of becoming a Pokemon Master would probably get in the way of any potential relationship anyway.

If they were to try to give him a girlfriend though, they'd have to bring back Misty. Misty showed several signs of having deeper feelings for him than just friendship, and one comment she made in the 2nd movie pretty much confirmed it for me. She even said at one point in the series that she couldn't even remember why she had been traveling with Ash for so long, but I think it was Brock that reminded her of her busted bike, which set her off again! HOWEVER, since a full-fledged relationship wouldn't be appropriate for Pokemon, Misty's usually love-hate treatment of Ash would still work fine.

I can put this to rest easily.

The story writers for pokemon have kept switching the girls in his group at a rapid pace, but he only one who had seriously kissed him was Misty. Japan aired the episode during the 1st series, the kanto region. When 4Kids, the origional dub company who handled the episodes translation located the episode and looked it over, it was dubbed too mature for kids, scrapped and tossed into the garbage heap with several other banned episodes never released for America to view. It isn't until sometime between Kanto and Jhoto that 4kids began losing the rights and pokemon would later be dubbed by another company, pushing the romance between the 2 with some strong hints.

I have never heard of an actual kiss taking place in the anime. I've seen lists of the banned episodes and the reasons they were banned. A kiss wasn't one of the reasons. Plus, I haven't seen or heard of footage of this either. If it aired in Japan, someone somewhere online would have it.

AND WHERE THE @#$# IS GARY OAK?!
    Gary retired from training Pokemon to become a Pokemon scientist. The last time I remember seeing him was an episode where he and other scientists revived an Aerodactyl.

WHY is Brock still traveling with ASH!? WHY NOT JUST QUIT FINDING A GIRL IN THE WORLD, GO HOME AND RESUME HIS ROLE AS GYM LEADER?! HE WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING A FEMALE TRAINER THERE THEN WHAT HE DOES NOW!
    In case you haven't seen any info on the anime recently, Brock no longer travels with Ash and has taken interest in becoming a Pokemon doctor, rather than a breeder.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    If you ask me I would give him May (just cuz I think they are most alike and get together (what can I do im a advanceshipper :P). But if he needs a girlfriend he needs to age jesus hes still 10 /facepalm

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I highly doubt the anime will ever go down that road. Someone mentioned that the creators said Ash will stay 10 forever, and that's very much true. I think they won't make Ash have a girlfriend and get love interests because they sorta tried that with Misty(very obvious!), and it must have no worked out well with audiences. If you notice the series when Misty was still on board, did have very slight hints of love between Ash and Misty. When they started the series again after she left, there really weren't any hints of love between the main characters(excluding Brock the Nurse/Officer maniac) anymore. The creators must have realized it didn't really fit well with the storyline and decided to make it more of a "pursue your dream; never give up" kinda theme.

Oh well...I kinda would like them to put love as at least a subtle theme every now and then, but maybe we just want it since were older and more mature than some of the other audience members. Kids would probably just shield their eyes and go "EWWW, GROSS!! ROMANCE!! LOVE!! BLEHH!!"....

sob sob...

Years
  • You're probably thinking of "Under The Mistletoe", which was a song done by 4Kids for the English Pokemon Christmas Bash CD. The song was never used in the show, however.

When Misty asks if he realizes that they are standing under the mistletoe Ash literally screams and runs away, one of his lines earlier being "I'm hoping that I don't get caught under the mistletoe!", so no there has never been even an audio dub only kiss between Ash and Misty.

More topic related, there's not time for a girlfriend when you're on a journey! That and yeah, he's 10. Not gonna happen.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • He's a shonen character sweetie, shonen character never have girlfriends, just girls who like them. =p

Also being a Pokémon Master > Looking for a girlfriend.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    He's a shonen character sweetie, shonen character never have girlfriends, just girls who like them. =p

Also being a Pokémon Master > Looking for a girlfriend.

^This, plus that it's a small kids show - no matter how much you try to argue against it. Love as far as boyfriend/girlfriend stuff is a no-no because small children shouldn't look at those things and whatnot.

SevenShirokami

Cosmo of Light and Dark
    Years
  • Ash should be about 20, actually. Or, more accurately, 22-23.

And yet, if you see the very first episode of the Black and White series, you will quite plainly hear the narrator say "Ten year old Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town..."

This is one of the many reasons why the anime is no longer good. (the other reasons including Pikachu still loses half of its battles, even though it should be like, level 9000. They got rid of Misty. They haven't gotten rid of Team Rocket, who just gets irritating after a while. Brock was around way too long. They haven't gotten rid of Ash...they don't age...*rambles on into the sunset*)

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    The anime itself will never go down that path. The creators have stated that Ash will stay 10 for as long as the show airs and you might as well take their word for it. It's targeted towards younger audiences because, you know, that's who plays the games the most out of all the age groups and the anime supplements the games. Therefore, it only makes sense that Ash will be younger so that the majority of the viewers can relate to him more. The writers believe that every new generation, they lose viewers so they try to adapt and keep the same. It's how it's been.

They did make a few references to Ash's past accomplishments, like in the first episode of BW, you can see the trophies lined up on his wall and such. There's that Terracotta Ribbon Advanceshippers never forget about, and that would definitely be an accomplishment. However, he's still unknown to most people. He's not a Champion or a Gym Leader, so his reputation can't build as much. He travels around, sure, but most probably wouldn't find him so memorable. It's just a trainer with a Pikachu. He hasn't won a major tournament, though he did conquer the Orange Islands and beat Drake...

I think it would also be an awesome show if they did go down some different path, but it is a formulaic anime so it will stay that way for some time. They won't try anything too drastic because they want to keep a target audience and so far, they're satisfied.

In the pokemon gold gameboy game ash was stated to be 13 years old. I wonder what made them do that if they want to keep him at 10 years old forever.

Years
  • Note that this thread hasn't had a post in four years now so it's massively outdated/inactive. You're free to remake the discussion if you want ikihi (or anyone else!) but I'll have to close this one, sorry. =(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back