• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shouting out attack names. Cool or lame?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Now first thing's first, we can all agree that the Kamehameha Wave will always be cool when you shout it out.

And maybe Yusuke's Spirit Gun has the same effect too. ;P

However in other animes, such as One Piece or Fairy Tail, shouting out attack names becomes very lame very quick. However that is just my opinion. It always comes off as silly when Luffy is shouting out his attack names every 5 seconds. Especially during the Rob Lucci fight, where Luffy goes "GUM GUM PISTOL, WHIP, SPEAR" and yet he's just throwing a punch and a kick.

And an anime such as Rurouni Kenshin, the attack names can get extremely long and sound hysterical when Kenshin shouts them out, while still trying to be cool.
    Example: Hiten Mitsurugi Style Amakakeru Ryū No Hirameki!

Do you guys think shouting attack names come off as lame? Or do you think it sounds cool? Let me know! I want to read your responses. :)

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • I like it. I basically think it's better suited for the Magical Girl genre. Seeing a buff dude yell out an attack name is just weird. It works in Naruto as well.
    I can't imagine an anime like Sailor Moon or Precure to not have attack names yelled out.

Years
  • Anime's like Dragon Ball Z did call out some of their attack names. I think it's just part of the anime genre that I don't really pay too much attention to it anymore.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • With Sailor Moon and stuff like that, I couldn't imagine it without the "Moon Prisim Power!". Some anime, like Tales of the Abyss, are also derivatives of video games - where they say their attacks. I personally love it ^^

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Like Satoshi said, it's a pretty important, prevalent part of the genre it's most used in and it would be really awkward if it wasn't included. It's just one of those long-running conventions that needs to stay. I can't imagine being a character in an anime and screaming out names as it'd make me feel like an idiot, but I do think it's sensible enough.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Now first thing's first, we can all agree that the Kamehameha Wave will always be cool when you shout it out.

And maybe Yusuke's Spirit Gun has the same effect too. ;P

However in other animes, such as One Piece or Fairy Tail, shouting out attack names becomes very lame very quick. However that is just my opinion. It always comes off as silly when Luffy is shouting out his attack names every 5 seconds. Especially during the Rob Lucci fight, where Luffy goes "GUM GUM PISTOL, WHIP, SPEAR" and yet he's just throwing a punch and a kick.

And an anime such as Rurouni Kenshin, the attack names can get extremely long and sound hysterical when Kenshin shouts them out, while still trying to be cool.
    Example: Hiten Mitsurugi Style Amakakeru Ryū No Hirameki!

Do you guys think shouting attack names come off as lame? Or do you think it sounds cool? Let me know! I want to read your responses. :)

You sort of get used to it over time - it's rather common in anime. Digimon takes the cake for this.

Years
  • You sort of get used to it over time - it's rather common in anime. Digimon takes the cake for this.

In Digimon i actually imagine the attacks being said in their head. Probably because of how most characters pronounce their attacks, or cause most of the time either their mouths aren't moving or they are firing a fire blast or something from their mouth.

With few exceptions like every Shoutmon evolution in Xros Wars.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    But that's like shouting "jab! left hook! chop! low lick!" when you fight in real life. It kinda makes you look crazy. It would be cooler if the character would have battle cries instead or thrusts. Like "Ahh!!" or "Hiiiiya!" It just makes more sense to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It's an essential part of the fighting genre and a trademark of anime in general. I'm trying to imagine DBZ, Fist of the North Star, Jojo or TTGL without attack names; they just wouldn't be as awesome as they are. I can see what you are saying with Luffy, his "Gomu Gomu no ___" isn't always as great as some other examples, but I think it is still good most of the time.

But that's like shouting "jab! left hook! chop! low lick!" when you fight in real life. It kinda makes you look crazy. It would be cooler if the character would have battle cries instead or thrusts. Like "Ahh!!" or "Hiiiiya!" It just makes more sense to me.
    Isn't that why we watch a lot of action anime though...? Because it's nothing like real life? There are examples of a bit more realistic fighting anime, Samurai Champloo being one of them. But you can't really complain about it being unrealistic in things like DBZ or One Piece, the whole thing is pure fantasy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    It's an essential part of the fighting genre and a trademark of anime in general. I'm trying to imagine DBZ, Fist of the North Star, Jojo or TTGL without attack names; they just wouldn't be as awesome as they are. I can see what you are saying with Luffy, his "Gomu Gomu no ___" isn't always as great as some other examples, but I think it is still good most of the time.

Isn't that why we watch a lot of action anime though...? Because it's nothing like real life? There are examples of a bit more realistic fighting anime, Samurai Champloo being one of them. But you can't really complain about it being unrealistic in things like DBZ or One Piece, the whole thing is pure fantasy.

But see in DBZ, attack names are rarely used. Goku doesn't shout "SPIRIT BOMB" when he lets one out, he just shouts. When the DBZ fighters shoot ki blasts, they say "Die!" or "Hah!" or some other grunt noises.

They only save attack names for the finishing bout like Galick Gun, Big Bang Attack, or Kamehameha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    But see in DBZ, attack names are rarely used. Goku doesn't shout "SPIRIT BOMB" when he lets one out, he just shouts. When the DBZ fighters shoot ki blasts, they say "Die!" or "Hah!" or some other grunt noises.

They only save attack names for the finishing bout like Galick Gun, Big Bang Attack, or Kamehameha.

Not everytime, but still often, makankosappo, mafuba, solar flare, and in the Japanese they do sometimes yell genki-dama (spirit bomb) just a few I can think from the top of my head. As you said, if they were using it for every move it would be stupid, but I don't think One Piece does it that badly. I've not seen Fairy Tail so idk about that one.

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • It's so frigging cool to yell out the name of attacks, especially if your names are Domon Kasshu, Master Asia, Ryoma Nagare, Kabuto Kouji, Gai Daijouji, Dio Brando, and Guy Shishioh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It can work but it's done too much. It's worse in fighting games, mind. Having a particular 'move' in the way it's depicted is an odd idea too. A fight tends to flow rather than be a turn-based series of spectacular blows.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    This is one of those things that I often feel like comes down to marketing; when little kids are playing as if they're the characters or talking about the show, they can't very well say "that cool move where he did X, Y, and Z" over and over again because they don't know the name, and if it's only mentioned once in the show they're not going to know it. Shows want to have as much stuffed into your head as possible, catchphrases and characters and move names and all.

I don't really notice it at this point.

Back