• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shutdown or Sleep?

Years
    When you're not in front of your computer for an extended amount of time, how do you typically handle it? Do you shut it down, put it to sleep, or just leave it running?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Define "extended amount of time" first, and then I'll have you an answer.

Because I'm a student I tend to use it on and off every day, so are we talking about the time I spend sleeping? Or like if I'm away and I'm not taking it with me for a few days / weeks?

Years
    As a chromebook user, I always have it on sleep mode. I only shut it down when I go to sleep.

(I mean the only program it runs is Google Chrome...)

pkmin3033

Sleep. I only shut down my laptop when I'm about to go to bed...it takes forever for it to turn off and on, and it's often the case when I shut it down during the day that I immediately need to turn it on again for something.

Years
    I shut it down every 30 minutes.

My laptop automatically sleeps when I'm not interacting with it. I only shut down when I feel like it. Just random.

Years
    I just leave it running unless I'm going to be away from it for an extended period of time. Would do sleep mode, but I've had enough times of having to turn the computer off anyway because it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode that I just don't even bother with that anymore.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    I always shut down my PC when I'm not using it, because it's not 100% silent and the small amount of noise it makes annoys me when I'm not using it.

Sir Codin

I usually keep it running unless I'm away for several days, then I shut it down.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I always shutdown my laptop before bed. My first laptop I never did, and that caused it to get chip creep, and led to its demise.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Sometimes shutdown and sometimes sleep, but mostly sleep. So I can get to my activities whenever I feel, but I shutdown when there's an update which is most important.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If there's a pending operation that will not restore itself if I shut down, I sleep.

Otherwise, shut down.

For long downloads, though, I just turn off the monitor.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
    I have a mac which sleeps when I close it. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've properly shut it down.

blue

gucci
    Years
    During the day I'll usually lock it and leave it running until it eventually sleeps or shuts down automatically. It usually shuts down when I come back which isn't a big issue tbh.

megaman d

novice scripter
    Years
    while i used computer, it was kept to sleep. Now while using laptop, I shut it down when not in use. Most probably because laptop's battery get lowered and needs to be charged again but in computer's case I kept it to sleep for fast access and as I don't pay electricity bill.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
    I put it in sleep mode if I stay away for max 1 hour or else I shut it off.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Shut it down, always. I heard putting it on sleep mode for a long time shortens the life of your computer.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    i leave it in sleep mode, though i should probably shut it down more often then i do now

Back