• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ash, I wouldn't say get rid of him, although he is really annoying. It's like throwing off Goku from DBZ or something. I miss the days with Ash and Misty, and them fighting and stuff. (What annoyed me in those days were Ash getting free badges) And he been on there for 10 or 11 years, but I am really sick of him for these reasons:

Hey, even IF I were annoyed by the "free badges", at least it was better than Ash's "cheap wins" in regards to the Hoenn Saga.

1. He doesn't evolve his pokemon, and when he does, he gets rid of them all. Then in the next region, he starts completely new. And he always says that he will visit his pokemon soon, but where is Charizard and Butterfree? Gone forever.

You do have a point on Butterfree (I mean, Ash DID tell Butterfree that he'd come back someday.), but Charizard actually reappeared about 5 times (the Greenfield incident, Blackthorne rematch, Johto League, Noland match, and the final Brandon battle.), so Charizard doesn't exactly count.

That's still a good point, though. I mean, out of all the pokemon he has released (By that, I mean ACTUALLY released), the only pokemon he has ever visited was Lapras (I'm not counting Charizard or Squirtle since their departures were basically being Oak'd without actually being at Oak's lab.). I mean, he hasn't revisited Butterfree, he hasn't revisited Primeape (Yes, I know that it wasn't actually released, but due to the fact that he hasn't even encountered it again, and apparantly forgotten about it, going by what he said in the Tyrogue episode, it's similar enough.), he hasn't visited Pidgeot, He hasn't visited Haunter (Don't try to tell me that He won't revisit a gym for reasons other than battling, because I'll just point out that he revisited Pewter Gym even though there wasn't any need to do so in regards to Battling.), heck, sometimes, he barely even references his old pokemon.

2. We know what his team would be in each new region, he always have Pikachu, the starters, the starter bird, and a random pokemon that never evolves. Only one starter fully evolves.

Yeah, I know. That part is annoying. I mean, some people think certain characters with one type of pokemon is bland, but how is Ash having the same formula any different?

3. I really miss Misty, and why does he have to be the only one who is only after the badges, can we once see Dawn try for a badge? And why does everyone else not have to be a trainer after badges?

Well, I agree with you on Misty, in fact, you could try and help Bring her back.

Personally, that's one thing that's bad about her being removed. It's pointless. I mean, What's the point in replacing one character under regards to freshness or advertizement reasons if you don't replace the entire cast (Especially seeing how Brock and even Ash had rough times in Johto.). There's also the fact that the only reason why they even replaced her is so they can have eye candy (that is, sex objects) on the show. I mean, even without Hidaka's confirmation, I predicted that was the case since Brock and Ash weren't replaced despite meeting similar so-called "criteria". The fact that they decided to make the GLs in Hoenn seem like a JJM battle as well as deciding to include characters such as May (whom, BTW, seems to be no different than someone from Love Hina) into the equation adds further insult to injury (I mean, COME ON!!! Pokemon's supposed to be a kid's show, and even in Japan, that really isn't allowed.)

4. Like everyone else is saying, he gets creamed at the Pokemon League.

Yeah, and the defeat in Hoenn cheapens his wins against Gym Leaders in that region quite a bit, especially since most of them were beaten by either A. cheap KOs [see Pikachu's win against Roxanne and especially Wattson], or B. completely inexperienced pokemon or pokemon that still pale very much in experience level as gym leaders as if it were on a whim (like the rest of the GLs in that saga.).

5. The story is always the same in each episode, he meets someone, the person is in some trouble, and Ash is always their hero. Can there be some other stuff to add to the story, like Who is Ash's father? Why in each game, we don't have a father?

Well, Brendan/May does have a Father [he also has an important role], and Ash/Red technically does have a father (He was briefly mentioned in the games in regards to the sports games.). Still, that's a very valid point. I mean, DBZ and SATam was able to deviate from the manga just to expand on the characters personalities/backstories, so why can't the Anime? I mean, the closest thing we even saw in regards to Ash's past was him watching a movie in the Movie Theater. I mean, Brock and Misty seemed to have a more developed backstory.

6. And the series gets more and more kiddy every year. So do the movies, with much doofy bad guys and stuff. I have almost every season on my PC, and there is a difference.

Yeah, I know, and from what the ratings seem to convey back in Japan, even the target audience of kids seemed to be repulsed by this.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    I say they should just end it with this last final Generation. Let Ash win the Pokemon League, Brock become a top breeder, Dawn Win the Grand Cup, and stop. The more the show goes on, the lower the ratings, the more people DON'T care, and that way we can stop these arguements that go around in these types of threads. (Which should NEVER happen.)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, I know, and from what the ratings seem to convey back in Japan, even the target audience of kids seemed to be repulsed by this.

The Japanese public are so repulsed by Pokemon, it's in the top 10 every week. The Pokemon company should be ashamed of themselves.

If we closed this thread, global warming, world hunger and the financial crises would no longer exist. It would just be a distant memory...I'm sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    The Japanese public are so repulsed by Pokemon, it's in the top 10 every week. The Pokemon company should be ashamed of themselves.

If we closed this thread, global warming, world hunger and the financial crises would no longer exist. It would just be a distant memory...I'm sure.

In before "barely in the Top 10" post.

We get it. You guys hate the anime. But the anime hasn't changed. You have. You're older, you have different tastes, and watching a kid's show isn't for you. I'd recommend moving on.

Guess what? I'm older too. However, I can still look at Pokemon objectively and see it as a fairly simplistic television show based on a video game I love, and based on that, I enjoy it. But if you let nostalgia or "omgzers i wantz tehz blood an sex!" cloud your judgement, then you'll never appreciate Pokemon, and probably never really liked it in the first place.

I'm still also waiting on how Satoshi Tajirji is using Satoshi the character as an avatar for himself in the anime, which he had no input in.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011

We get it. You guys hate the anime. But the anime hasn't changed. You have. You're older, you have different tastes, and watching a kid's show isn't for you. I'd recommend moving on.

Guess what? I'm older too. However, I can still look at Pokemon objectively and see it as a fairly simplistic television show based on a video game I love, and based on that, I enjoy it. But if you let nostalgia or "omgzers i wantz tehz blood an sex!" cloud your judgement, then you'll never appreciate Pokemon, and probably never really liked it in the first place.

I'm still also waiting on how Satoshi Tajirji is using Satoshi the character as an avatar for himself in the anime, which he had no input in.

Dude that's what I'm always telling people, I mean you all grew up and you all think Pokemon should have more violence, but thing is, it is not going to; it has been a kid's show for eleven years and it's still going to be.

Although I'm kinda of annoyed by Ash a little, even though I'm a big fan of his, it'll be cool if he could at least show some prove that he has improved since he started or at least win the Pokemon league, I mean win the league but lose to the Elite 4 is at least better.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Can there be some other stuff to add to the story, like Who is Ash's father? Why in each game, we don't have a father?

Actually, in Sapphire and Ruby, you do have a father. He's one of the gym leaders. Sorry, I just needed to pop in and say that. P;

Vernikova

Banned
    Years

The OP doesn't even post here anymore. :\

I'm sure if this thread is closed we'd have another thread called "Sick of Ash? V.2".

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Umm, look, it may BE in the top 10 now, but considering how it's in 8th place, in the near future, it may not even BE in the top 10 anymore. I mean, I don't care if it is in the top 10. 5.5% is NOT a satisfactory level of ratings. Heck, that would actually be suicidal ratings. I mean, if it can't even beat johto, despite improved writing and the most replacable fanbase in terms of time, why must you think it's doing well? I mean, the new generation replaces the old generation every time. therefore, Pokemon's ratings shouldn't be this low, since the new generation always replaces the old generation in numbers and treat it as a new thing. Yet, despite that, even that can't save the show from dropping from 8.8% to 5.5%.

What makes you think I hate it? I don't hate it. Heck, I would also want to watch the anime as well. I just think that the show is getting worse ratings every year of every series. I mean, even you must have noticed the decline in ratings.

I'm not trying to be nostalgic, and I'm actually against blood and sex being in the show (Heck, the sex/eyecandy objection is a major reason as to why I objected to their introducing May and Dawn, and especially replacing Misty just to do that.). Heck, if I were nostalgic, I wouldn't even think of any new generations of ANYTHING in Pokemon (which I don't.).

You know, if he truly had no input in the Anime, or no major input, for that matter, then their even LISTING him as being the creator of the anime would have been giving unjust credit, and thus, making him a fraud. Therefore, if he truly didn't have any input in the Anime, they shouldn't even list him in the credits, and if they DID have to list him, they should have done it in a way that makes it absolutely clear that he had little to no imput in the Anime (eg: "Based on the video games that were made by Satoshi Tajiri", as that implies that, other than the Anime being based off of his work, he had no input on the anime. "Created by: Satoshi Tajiri", on the other hand, implies that he actually had a major input on the Anime, as in he directs the anime, writes it, all that kind of stuff.).

Years
    This thread is funny. You don't build up a character for what? Eleven years is it now. I mean you could just branch off when a new region comes into play and do it like how they did with Ash. But the question is would it be the same? Or is that the point; people want something different, other than minor character changes.

I think people would like the idea of the new character at first but then all these comparisons of the two characters would eventually surface and turn into a "We want Ash back!".

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Umm, look, it may BE in the top 10 now, but considering how it's in 8th place, in the near future, it may not even BE in the top 10 anymore. I mean, I don't care if it is in the top 10. 5.5% is NOT a satisfactory level of ratings. Heck, that would actually be suicidal ratings. I mean, if it can't even beat johto, despite improved writing and the most replacable fanbase in terms of time, why must you think it's doing well? I mean, the new generation replaces the old generation every time. therefore, Pokemon's ratings shouldn't be this low, since the new generation always replaces the old generation in numbers and treat it as a new thing. Yet, despite that, even that can't save the show from dropping from 8.8% to 5.5%.

You know, if he truly had no input in the Anime, or no major input, for that matter, then their even LISTING him as being the creator of the anime would have been giving unjust credit, and thus, making him a fraud. Therefore, if he truly didn't have any input in the Anime, they shouldn't even list him in the credits, and if they DID have to list him, they should have done it in a way that makes it absolutely clear that he had little to no imput in the Anime (eg: "Based on the video games that were made by Satoshi Tajiri", as that implies that, other than the Anime being based off of his work, he had no input on the anime. "Created by: Satoshi Tajiri", on the other hand, implies that he actually had a major input on the Anime, as in he directs the anime, writes it, all that kind of stuff.).

They're not listing him as the creator of the anime, it's only you who ever says that. Everyone else can work out he's the creator of Pokemon, not the anime. It lists the writers and they're the one that decides the story.

Why do you keep saying 5.5%? It says 6.2% on a lot of the ratings in Japan. Is 8% an average or just the highest a Johto episode ever got?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They're not listing him as the creator of the anime, it's only you who ever says that. Everyone else can work out he's the creator of Pokemon, not the anime. It lists the writers and they're the one that decides the story.

"Created by" = "Creator of the Anime"! Jeez... Look, if they wanted to make it QUITE clear that he wasn't the creator of the Anime, they should have actually stated "Based on the video game series made by "Satoshi Tajiri", because that's the only way that they would get that point across.

Why do you keep saying 5.5%? It says 6.2% on a lot of the ratings in Japan. Is 8% an average or just the highest a Johto episode ever got?

8.8% is an AVERAGE. ahh, jeez, you know what? you'll never understand. It's pointless arguing with you. I mean, if you must complain about this or prove someone else wrong with this, it's Nickstr, since he's the one who discovered the info in the first place. Heck, I could even link up to a post where he says this!!!!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    It doesn't say he's the creator of the anime, thinking there is one sole creator of an anime is a pretty funny thing to think.

Y'know, I think many people would say the same about you. It's pointless arguing with you because you only listen to the people who agree with you. I was going to go on, but thought better of it. ~ Ratings don't really have much to do with liking Ash

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It doesn't say he's the creator of the anime, thinking there is one sole creator of an anime is a pretty funny thing to think.

Aww, Jeez.... Don't make me repeat this. Created by = Creator! Created by means: You have had a large influence on the anime.

Y'know, I think many people would say the same about you. It's pointless arguing with you because you only listen to the people who agree with you. I was going to go on, but thought better of it. ~ Ratings don't really have much to do with liking Ash

I don't just listen to people who agree with me. Otherwise, I would have kicked myself out of High school (Because, believe me, I do have some teachers I don't agree with). Heck, I also would have disowned my parents, as well. I try to listen, hear everything they say, and assess as to whether they're correct or not, or worth agreeing with. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we don't listen. Actually, I could easily say you aren't listening as well. but I won't, because I'm not of that nature.

And ratings may not have much to do with liking Ash, but that doesn't mean he isn't stale. I mean, think about it, not once has he gotten a fully developed backstory. He doesn't change patterns (By that, I mean type patterns), heck, he still gets fooled by TR's disguises. And if his loss in Hoenn means anything, even his skills as a trainer have never developed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I'm not trying to be nostalgic, and I'm actually against blood and sex being in the show (Heck, the sex/eyecandy objection is a major reason as to why I objected to their introducing May and Dawn, and especially replacing Misty just to do that.). Heck, if I were nostalgic, I wouldn't even think of any new generations of ANYTHING in Pokemon (which I don't.).

I've got a newsflash for you:

Misty is a girl too. She was there as eye candy too.

However you are mistaken in that the girls are replaced just because of eye candy. It was said due to contests and because it brings another connection to the games (the in-game girl trainer).

And I know this is going to be a shocker, but people on television (animated or acted by people on sets) are supposed to look aesthetically attractive. Even unrealistically attractive. And the main demographic (young boys) notices this and it appeals to them.

That isn't new.

You know, if he truly had no input in the Anime, or no major input, for that matter, then their even LISTING him as being the creator of the anime would have been giving unjust credit, and thus, making him a fraud.

Incredibly wrong. There's no fraud, you just have a very narrow view of "Created By", or can't stand that I was able to destroy the Mary Sue argument. (I know you didn't initially bring it up, but you apparently agree with it).

It is not uncommon for a franchise to give credit to someone who created it, even if they have little or no involvement in whatever spinoff is currently being done. Marvel television shows and movies have a "Created By", "Inspired By", or a similar line in relation to Stan Lee. I wouldn't be surprised if James Bond films, or the Simpsons movies, or the Harry Potter movies, gave credit to their original creators regardless of how involved (or not involved) they were with a similar type of credit.

(eg: "Based on the video games that were made by Satoshi Tajiri",

That's an incredibly long line for an opening that lasts 30 to 90 seconds.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I've got a newsflash for you:

Misty is a girl too. She was there as eye candy too.

Not to the same extent as May and Dawn were, though. I mean, at least Misty didn't seem to try and strip down in a gleeful manner or want to be in something like a bathing suit competition. May has shown complete glee at one point in terms of stripping down into a bikini, among other things. Dawn, well, you know what she's like.

However you are mistaken in that the girls are replaced just because of eye candy. It was said due to contests and because it brings another connection to the games (the in-game girl trainer).

Am I, eh? Well, this may come as a surprise to you, but Masamitsu Hidaka had stated in the interview that the reason why May and Dawn even exist was BECAUSE of Eyecandy issues. From Pokebeach/Water Pokemon Master's interview:

So then I said, "Why can't you just ditch Brock, have Ash, have Misty, and then bring in a new boy? That would be switching up things instead of having a new girl." His following answers made me laugh my head off – I had to pick it up off the floor and reattach it. He stated that they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that). He also said Ken Sugimori designs a new girl with each generation and that gives them another excuse to switch the girl, though I reminded him that there is also a new boy too. I told him that people think Brock is boring and dull, and that it would make the show more interesting to bring Misty back, but he just said again it probably is not going to happen and that they will never be reunited again permanently. You never know, though! People can change their minds! But he was pretty strong about the decision.

Actually, throughout this entire paragraph from the interview, not once did it even mention Contests being a reason for replacing Misty. In fact, he pretty much confirmed our suspicions as to the real reason why Misty was replaced, which was, as suspected, due to hormones. And about the part involving "In-Game" connections, they could have easily done that by replacing Ash with Brendan or Lucas, so really, that's no excuse.

And I know this is going to be a shocker, but people on television (animated or acted by people on sets) are supposed to look aesthetically attractive. Even unrealistically attractive. And the main demographic (young boys) notices this and it appeals to them.

That isn't new.

Oh, making them attractive isn't new. But that doesn't mean that it should be a good thing. I mean, they can be attractive, as long as their existance isn't solely to be attractive (something which, unfortunately, is the case with May and Dawn.).

Incredibly wrong. There's no fraud, you just have a very narrow view of "Created By", or can't stand that I was able to destroy the Mary Sue argument. (I know you didn't initially bring it up, but you apparently agree with it).

What are you talking about? I didn't even believe in the Mary sue arguement, much less agree with it. The only thing I even agreed with Ashbox on was the part on Ratings.

And, actually, it IS fraud. Maybe you don't realize this, but "Created by" implies that they had a lot of influence and control behind the show.

It is not uncommon for a franchise to give credit to someone who created it, even if they have little or no involvement in whatever spinoff is currently being done. Marvel television shows and movies have a "Created By", "Inspired By", or a similar line in relation to Stan Lee. I wouldn't be surprised if James Bond films, or the Simpsons movies, or the Harry Potter movies, gave credit to their original creators regardless of how involved (or not involved) they were with a similar type of credit.

Actually, Matt Groening is the chief writer, so he actually does deserve that credit. As for Harry Potter, I watched the movies, and they didn't actually say "Created by: J.K. Rowling". Actually, they said "Based on the books that were created by J.K. Rowling", which has a far different meaning than saying "Created by: J.K. Rowling". I'll need to check out my Marvel movies to verify the inspired by part (Though, that would be much closer to the implied meaning than "Created by".)

That's an incredibly long line for an opening that lasts 30 to 90 seconds.

So's "Based on the book series that were made by J.K. Rowling" in the Harry Potter movie credits, and that never stopped Warner Bros. from inserting that length of text in the movies. I mean, if Warner Bros. can insert that line without any complaints about the length in respect to time, Pokemon can as well (Especially since "Created by" is still a misleading title.).

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Not to the same extent as May and Dawn were, though. I mean, at least Misty didn't seem to try and strip down in a gleeful manner or want to be in something like a bathing suit competition. May has shown complete glee at one point in terms of stripping down into a bikini, among other things. Dawn, well, you know what she's like.

I've been to a beach before. People wear their swim suits underneath regular clothes. I guess if you call that stripping, sure, whatever. But it's not unusual.

It's a tease, sure. But anyone with a functioning brain could discern that May wasn't actually going to get naked on a kids' television show. It's just another case of people reading WAY too much into something on the show.

Yes. Dawn is...Dawn? Something you want to say?

Am I, eh? Well, this may come as a surprise to you, but Masamitsu Hidaka had stated in the interview that the reason why May and Dawn even exist was BECAUSE of Eyecandy issues. From Pokebeach/Water Pokemon Master's interview:

Man, this is what I love about you fanboy Misty fans. I've seen Misty Club members try to discredit Hidaka due to his lack of knowledge of Platinum and debate how involved in the anime he is. And then I see others use him to back up their arguments. You all should have a meeting about it.

It mentions that he refers to Contests but doesn't fully explain what he meant. I know you want to think Hidaka is some pervert, but I'm betting it's a combination of Japanese culture being much more open about sexuality AND losing meaning in translation.

And about the part involving "In-Game" connections, they could have easily done that by replacing Ash with Brendan or Lucas, so really, that's no excuse.

Except they already have a character from a game, and the entire anime is about his journey. This isn't to say Pokemon couldn't have another main character, but it'd be a different show. A Pokemon anime withotu Ash can't exist as it currently stands.

Oh, making them attractive isn't new. But that doesn't mean that it should be a good thing. I mean, they can be attractive, as long as their existance isn't solely to be attractive (something which, unfortunately, is the case with May and Dawn.).

It sure couldn't be because they need a new trainer so they can showcase simple mistakes/basic game mechanics, or want to introduce contests...it must be sexist!

And, actually, it IS fraud. Maybe you don't realize this, but "Created by" implies that they had a lot of influence and control behind the show.

No. Someone else just said "Ash is the avatar for Satoshi" and I disproved it. Just because you or others can't interpert what "Created By" means in a 30 second intro doesn't mean it's fraud. Satoshi Tajiri (spelling?) is the creator of Pokemon, he is given Created By or Inspired By credit (it varies with certain movies/openings). It never lists him as a writer or anything else. It's not rocket science.

Actually, Matt Groening is the chief writer

How involved he's been has varied throughout the years, particularly when he had other shows to work on. They were used as examples.

Executive Producer is often given as credit despite little/no involvement. This is the creidt Stan Lee gets in the recent Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, as well as the 90s animated series and the 2008 Iron Man movie.

As for Harry Potter, I watched the movies, and they didn't actually say "Created by: J.K. Rowling". Actually, they said "Based on the books that were created by J.K. Rowling",

Movie intros are usually much longer than a 22 minute cartoon's intro.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I've been to a beach before. People wear their swim suits underneath regular clothes. I guess if you call that stripping, sure, whatever. But it's not unusual.

It's a tease, sure. But anyone with a functioning brain could discern that May wasn't actually going to get naked on a kids' television show. It's just another case of people reading WAY too much into something on the show.

Actually, Max's signaling May not to do it in such a panicked fashion, as well as the sweat drops from Ash and Max, implied that May DID actually get naked when stripping into her outfit (Though it was off screen, the reactions still implied it.).

And anyways, I do, indeed have a functioning brain. More than functional, as I have mostly A's and B's.

Yes. Dawn is...Dawn? Something you want to say?

I was meaning the choice of clothes she chose to wear.

Man, this is what I love about you fanboy Misty fans. I've seen Misty Club members try to discredit Hidaka due to his lack of knowledge of Platinum and debate how involved in the anime he is. And then I see others use him to back up their arguments. You all should have a meeting about it.

Actually, this complaint wasn't made by us Misty fans alone. It was even made by people who aren't even Misty fans.

Anyways, his lack of knowledge of Platinum (And this was despite the fact that Platinum's development was covered by Corocoro and even the 11th movie) was definitely a factor in why we should take his words with a grain of salt, at least in future cases. Heck, even the most vehement "Misty can't return" Misty fans, Kasumi of BMGf, stated that his words aren't absolute. And even IF he did know about Platinum, seeing how he was demoted from Director to Storyboard Artist come DP/Season 10 (as stated/implied by WPM), we still can't trust him in regards to future events.

And anyways, I don't even NEED Masamitsu Hidaka to prove myself. I already determined it was for sexist reasons LONG before Masamitsu Hidaka pretty much told us.

It mentions that he refers to Contests but doesn't fully explain what he meant. I know you want to think Hidaka is some pervert, but I'm betting it's a combination of Japanese culture being much more open about sexuality AND losing meaning in translation.

The Contest line was in reference as to what Misty would NOT do. or at least, not as a main goal.

Except they already have a character from a game, and the entire anime is about his journey. This isn't to say Pokemon couldn't have another main character, but it'd be a different show. A Pokemon anime withotu Ash can't exist as it currently stands.

Technically, Pokemon already IS a different show, seeing how the Japanese count the original series, AG, and DP as being three completely different series.

Besides, even IF they can't get rid of Ash, that doesn't mean they can't replace Brock with the same characters.

It sure couldn't be because they need a new trainer so they can showcase simple mistakes/basic game mechanics, or want to introduce contests...it must be sexist!

They would have replaced, if not all of the characters, then at least Brock as well if that whole "needed to showcase simple mistakes and basic game mechanics" excuse was valid. Heck, Ash himself makes simple mistakes, so even adding them in is pointless.

No. Someone else just said "Ash is the avatar for Satoshi" and I disproved it. Just because you or others can't interpert what "Created By" means in a 30 second intro doesn't mean it's fraud. Satoshi Tajiri (spelling?) is the creator of Pokemon, he is given Created By or Inspired By credit (it varies with certain movies/openings). It never lists him as a writer or anything else. It's not rocket science.

Look, that may be true, but that doesn't mean that what you said about "Created by" only being a title credit is true. Ok, how about you ask several of your friends and even family members if crediting the creation of something they barely even have any involvement in is right or not, or if it is fraud or not.

You know the phrase "What you see is what you get"?, well apply it to this situation.

Even IF Satoshi Tajiri wasn't intending to have Ash as his avatar, it's still a bit suspicious that they would actually give Ash not only some characteristics of Satoshi (eg, having an obsession of Bug Pokemon), but even Satoshi Tajiri's first name itself.

Executive Producer is often given as credit despite little/no involvement. This is the creidt Stan Lee gets in the recent Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, as well as the 90s animated series and the 2008 Iron Man movie.

Actually, they are actually the highest honor, which means they had to contribute a lot in order to be given that title. I mean, if people complain about one thing, it's giving credit when it's undeserved in something. For example, in Harry Potter, Gilderoy Lockhart was credited for doing things he wasn't even responsible for (thus making him a fraud).

Movie intros are usually much longer than a 22 minute cartoon's intro.

Actually, this was in the ending credits of the film. Not that it would matter anyways, since people read through the credits of the film and the tv series fast (I know I do.).

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Actually, Max's signaling May not to do it in such a panicked fashion, as well as the sweat drops from Ash and Max, implied that May DID actually get naked when stripping into her outfit (Though it was off screen, the reactions still implied it.).

Okay, so you think May got naked then put her suit on?

I was meaning the choice of clothes she chose to wear.
    Yeah, she's such a skan...wait, what?

Technically, Pokemon already IS a different show, seeing how the Japanese count the original series, AG, and DP as being three completely different series.
    It's still the same show, regardless of how the sagas are divided up.

Besides, even IF they can't get rid of Ash, that doesn't mean they can't replace Brock with the same characters.

They would have replaced, if not all of the characters, then at least Brock as well if that whole "needed to showcase simple mistakes and basic game mechanics" excuse was valid. Heck, Ash himself makes simple mistakes, so even adding them in is pointless.
    As for Brock, it seems he has enough of an attachment to fans to be kept around. Besides the useful stuff he does, he's got the running gag going for him. And running gags are basically a ban immunity for kids' TV. And Ash rarely forgets the most basic stuff (or is just a temporary bit of being forgetful, an established part of his character.. He practically taught how May and Dawn how to catch a Pokemon.

Look, that may be true, but that doesn't mean that what you said about "Created by" only being a title credit is true. Ok, how about you ask several of your friends and even family members if crediting the creation of something they barely even have any involvement in is right or not, or if it is fraud or not.
    Sorry, it's still not that hard to figure out. Considering we're all Pokemon fans here, it's a shame someone actually thought Satoshi Tajiri created the anime.

Could it be clearer? Sure, in theory. But I don't see how a whole sentence would fit into an opening theme. Is it fraud that they give him "Created By" credit? No. Without Satoshi Tajiri, the anime wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a game to base it off of.

Seriously, look at IMDB. Stan Lee is credited as both a writer and Executive Producer for the two Spider-Man animated series I mentioned. He doesn't do jack in any of them, except make some cameos in the show itself. Just because you or others don't understand how this is handled in giving credit, or were confused by it, doesn't make it fraud or means it should be changed or makes it actually confusing.

Even IF Satoshi Tajiri wasn't intending to have Ash as his avatar, it's still a bit suspicious that they would actually give Ash not only some characteristics of Satoshi (eg, having an obsession of Bug Pokemon), but even Satoshi Tajiri's first name itself.
    Ash has an obsession with Bug Pokemon? He's owned 3 (and hasn't had one since Johto), and that's counting Beedrill.

As for the naming, it's called a homage, something not uncommon in fiction. Homages are often given to someone a creator(s) deem worthy enough because of their influence on them, and that can certainly be true for Tajiri since the games inspired the anime, the manga, TCG, etc...

This is besides the fact that Satoshi Tajiri can't use Ash the character as an avatar because he's never been a writer for the anime.

Actually, this was in the ending credits of the film. Not that it would matter anyways, since people read through the credits of the film and the tv series fast (I know I do.).
    My point still stands that a lengthy sentence can't fit into the intro or credits of a 22 minute television show. Movies are different...since they're longer, and on a huge screen.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    Well, multiple people have been talking about Ash's son being the next protagonist so maybe it would be nice if when Ash becomes the champion his son would have to battle him

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Okay, so you think May got naked then put her suit on?

If she didn't get naked then put her suit on, then explain why Max was waving his arms in a panicked way almost telling her not to do it, and Ash/Max reacting with sweat-drops afterwards?

Yeah, she's such a skan...wait, what?

Ok, she wore a Maid's outfit and I think another outfit that would be deemed "fanservice" in Japan and "inappropriate" overall.

It's still the same show, regardless of how the sagas are divided up.

As for Brock, it seems he has enough of an attachment to fans to be kept around. Besides the useful stuff he does, he's got the running gag going for him. And running gags are basically a ban immunity for kids' TV.

Misty had quite an attachment to the fans as well, and the repercussions of removing her still last to this day. As for useful stuff, considering how well they did without Brock in the Orange Islands, as well as how well they did in the Viridian Forest episodes, how's cooking useful at all? The running gag is also a terrible gag to begin with and would probably be a bad influence. Watching him do that is the same as watching Charlie Harper do that in "Two and a Half Men", and that's definitely not a kids show.

And Ash rarely forgets the most basic stuff (or is just a temporary bit of being forgetful, an established part of his character.. He practically taught how May and Dawn how to catch a Pokemon.

The only person he actually "taught" was May (prior to her desire in Contests), and even then, he just forgot his own advice and acted surprised when Treecko didn't enter the Poke-Ball without battling. Dawn, on the other hand, didn't actually learn anything from him (the closest thing that involved teaching how to capture Pokemon was Dawn of a New Journey, which even then, the entire training session ended only in disaster, as they argued quite a bit.)

Could it be clearer? Sure, in theory. But I don't see how a whole sentence would fit into an opening theme. Is it fraud that they give him "Created By" credit? No. Without Satoshi Tajiri, the anime wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a game to base it off of.

In that case, they should have just INSERTED "Based on the games that were made by Satoshi Tajiri" instead of "Created By". Even IF it were too long, they still would have inserted "Inspired by credit:" instead of "Created by", since that's closer in definition to what you said.

Ash has an obsession with Bug Pokemon? He's owned 3 (and hasn't had one since Johto), and that's counting Beedrill.

That... scene where he was coddling Caterpie, even saying that Caterpie's his heaven, and his liking Bugs as well, was clearly inspired by Tajiri's own experience.

As for the naming, it's called a homage, something not uncommon in fiction. Homages are often given to someone a creator(s) deem worthy enough because of their influence on them, and that can certainly be true for Tajiri since the games inspired the anime, the manga, TCG, etc...

Really? I definitely don't recall a character named "Shigeru" in the Mario Bros. Tv series OR the movie. Heck, I don't recall there being a character named "Shigeru" in that anime about the Super Mario Bros, either. Heck, none of the Zelda cartoons had "Shigeru" as a name of a character, either. The various Mega Man tv/Anime series didn't have a character by the name of "Keiji" in them, either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back