• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Uhh...*Points at the Poll*

Yeah right...I guess half of the people here in PC live in their grandmothers basement. >.>

For the sake of argument, let's assume that there every single member of a Pokemon forum is a unique individual. No one posts on more than one message board, is banned, etc..., and let's say, for the sake of argument, that's 100,000, and they all hate the anime.

That's still a vast minority in terms of the real world where the anime is getting great ratings for a show that's been on for over a decade, box office success in Japan and DVD sales at least justified enough to continue releasing them usually in concert with a Pokemon event.

Of course, considering many people do have accounts across various forums, and not everyone hates the anime, they're still a vast minority in the actual fandom of the millions who enjoy the show.

As for the "personal fanfic" argument. It's not.

If it's something that Pokemon never has been, never was, and never intended to be, then it is.

A lot of anime broadcasted today originated from the manga version.

Okay. "A lot of the anime" isn't Pokemon, which originated from the games. "A lot of the anime" isn't Pokemon, which has an international audience built over being shown across the world for 10+years.

Such as Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto.....etc./too much to list. <.<

Just a quick Wikipedia read through of the shows (and presumably, you are actually a fan of them) shows that these shows and Pokemon aren't the same, aren't intended for the same audiences/aiming for the same demographics. At least one never made it to North America (Fruits Basket).

If you want a show more like [whatever], I'd suggest you go watch that show, instead of trying to make Pokemon into whatever you think it should be.

D i v i n e X

Pichu, don't touch that knife!
    Years
    If you want a show more like [whatever], I'd suggest you go watch that show, instead of trying to make Pokemon into whatever you think it should be.

Most people, should just go make a fan fic, if they want a new anime. No matter what everyone here wants, there no changing. Because they know that there are still alot of People hooked from the original games, they use the anime for younger to 13/14 years of age. Face it, the Anime is used for merchandise only.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    This is true.

As for the "Thunder Armor" incident, it's just another example of the anime taking something from the games and applying it VERY liberally. Swellow's GUTS ability is activated when it's statused (paralyzed, poison, burned, or sleep). This turned Guts into how they've portrayed Overgrow and Blaze in the past, that the Pokemon itself gets stronger even though it's low on health/endurance.

Wow. Never thought of it that way.

No, the problem lies with Internet Fans who are usually way beyond the target demographic and them wanting the anime to turn into their own personal fan fic.

This is a show that has been on for almost 600 episodes over a decade or so. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But for some reason, this thread is filled with how the anime should be fixed/catered to become their own personal fan fic.

On this page alone, there is calls for:

• Romance
    • "mature" storyline (and reading this thread, "mature" is a very vague word that can mean anything from deep, intricate plots to meaningless blood, sex, and gore)
    • Getting rid of the main character
    • A separate series that about 13 people who watch, who all live in their mother's basement.

RandomSpot, you impress me. You don't seem to be tired of repeating the same thing over and over for the entire 29 pages of this thread... :cer_smile:

Of course, Satoshi's Orange Islands and Battle Frontier Championships pale in comparison to his Indigo, Johto, and Hoenn Championships.

Yeah!! How come people never seem to notice that he won the Frontier and Orange Islands? Sure, Orange Islands wasn't in the games at all, but the Frontier sure as heck was...

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2009
    I don't go because I am way older than the kids that play and even then, there aren't many so I feel to awkward going.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Yeah!! How come people never seem to notice that he won the Frontier and Orange Islands? Sure, Orange Islands wasn't in the games at all, but the Frontier sure as heck was...
    They aren't "major" enough to be counted since neitger of them have Satoshi winning against a Pokémon Champion and they're both considered filler by some.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    They aren't "major" enough to be counted since neitger of them have Satoshi winning against a Pokémon Champion and they're both considered filler by some.

They're certainly filler in a sense that it's filling the gap between the main focus of a generation (Orange as "filler" between Kanto and the release of Johto; Kanto BF as the "filler" between Hoenn and Sinnoh), but that doesn't make them meaningless. Ash and co still captured Pokemon, had major battles, character development, and so on.

Though that is true. Because they are side quests, and not the traditional winning against a regional league, it's a different type of battling and a different type of champion title.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
    KEEP ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE IS GOOD THE ONE THING I DONT LIKE IS HIS VOICE ACTOR NOW THAT "AMERICA" RUN THE SHOW

Years
    Well...he did decline the position. But then again...is there such thing as a Pokemon Master nowadays?

Isn't it that the jobs in the Pokemon Anime's world malleable to one as sees fit?
    You could have a hybrid of jobs if you want. :/

Anyways...yeah...I never really thought of the old SOVA campaign like that randomspot. People wanting 4Kids to keep dubbing the anime. XP

Eh...I won't even bother to rebut your arguments above sine it's basically a restatement of the points made a page before and we would just go on and on in a circle with our arguments.

All I could do now is promote the PokeSpe manga to the fandom and let the studios decide their next course of action in the advertising campaign that is the Pokemon Anime. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Actually, the Battle Frontier did seem major enough. In fact, canonically speaking, it's arguable that it's even more major than even the Elite 4 (and thus, more major than the pokemon Leagues, as it was heavily implied in the saga that the Battle Frontier Brains are stronger than even the Elite 4 members.).

As for the Orange League, technically, Ash DID win against a Champion (Drake was actually addressed as the "Champion" of the Orange League when Ash beat him.).

As for different battling, Orange League, yes (at least with the first two gyms, as there were different requirements to beating the gym leaders), but Battle Frontier, not really, especially since most of the Battle Frontier was moreorless Gym Battles (Yes, in the games, it was an actual different style of battling, but in the Anime, the closest to what any of the Brains did in the games was with Noland, and even then, Ash didn't get a random pokemon from the frontier Brain. The rest were just gym battles, gym battles, gym battles, regardless of the fact that they weren't real gym leaders)

EDIT:

Well...he did decline the position. But then again...is there such thing as a Pokemon Master nowadays?

As it hasn't been stated that there's no such thing as a Master (and that Ash also hasn't stated that he has changed goals), yes.

Isn't it that the jobs in the Pokemon Anime's world malleable to one as sees fit?
    You could have a hybrid of jobs if you want. :/

In the first season of the show, and arguably, throughout the entire show, it's implied that one can only be a Pokemon Master if one does a lot of trainer battles (and possibly beating Gym Leaders), but other than that vague reference to Leagues, that's just about it.

Last edited:

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    Here we go
    Ash has TOO much face-time lol, he needs a new voice actor (not actress, actor) and well, frankly his Pokemon suck XD
    come on, it takes like, half a series for one (two if we're lucky) to evolve, I'm glad that now his pokemon are getting better, but frankly, his team nees to be less predictable too, just the whole thing with Ash is getting too much lol
    also, I have one word, Pikachu.
    You know where I'm going with this, right?
    Pikachu by now must be like, lv100 right? somehow it still loses? COME, ON!
    Ok, so it shouldn't win all the time, but I think the wins and losses should be 50/50, now winning 60% of the time, what I'm trying to say is, Change Ash, maybe after the 5th gen saga, they'll do a Yu-Gi-Oh and get rid of Ash, maybe he has cameos but I'd like a kinda videogame thing, he catches the legendaries then descends to an enourmous mountain far, far away (Like Red).
    Then a new Protagonist comes and before Ash descends, he gives the new guy his Pikachu and Pokemon starts all over again!
    That's just my thoughts, now you go

dumbpikAchu

suckingCharmanderIntoMybu tt
    Years
    Aww shucks, let's hope Nintendo doesn't have a bot here!
    Why the hate? Sure his new voice sucks, but all they have to do is give it it's magic back and keep Dawn!
    Mr. Gats' W shaped movie really sucked, but it had that magic, that flavor, that made you like it.
    Like Arceus: To the conquering of Spacetime.
    The Anime sucks. it sucked less in Kanto, and plus it had magic. so they have to make it suck less, keep dawn, get the magic back, and SELL IT BACK TO 4KIDS O_O
    Oh.. Ashachu.
    They should play around with Ashachu next season. maybe, like, turn him into a Caterpie? that WOULD be awesome!

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    SELL IT BACK TO 4KIDS O_O
    Go to Dogasu's Backpack and think about that statement for a while.

And now since I don't feel like quoting anymore:

@weedle_mchairybug: I agree that they should be counted as region wins but some people don't accept that for some reason.

@randomspot555: I know, it's quite confusing really. Maybe I should link Dogasu's Backpack in my signature so they get the memo.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Here we go
    Ash has TOO much face-time lol, he needs a new voice actor (not actress, actor) and well, frankly his Pokemon suck XD

lolz too bad you don't know anything about voice acting.

The gender of a VA factors is pretty much a non-factor when they try out for a character. Honestly, if you didn't know it was a woman behind the mic, would you be able to tell the way Ash sounds?

Probably not.

And how can the main character have too much face time?

I'm glad that now his pokemon are getting better, but frankly, his team nees to be less predictable too, just the whole thing with Ash is getting too much lol

Have you ever seen how the average fan plays the game? They capture the first few mons that are along the early routes. This is often how Ash's team comes about, with maybe 1-2 wild cards, or a capture after the team is complete.

It's predictable because that's what attracts people to the show.

also, I have one word, Pikachu.

Yeah, it's a smart move to feature the mascot of a franchise in a prominent role on it's television show. I agree.

You know where I'm going with this, right?
    Pikachu by now must be like, lv100 right? somehow it still loses? COME, ON!

Have you ever watched the anime before? There's no real concept of levels. They've only been referenced a handful of times, and even then it's still extremely vague. There's nothing to say a Pokemon keeps it's "level" steadily.

he catches the legendaries

Yeah, you definately haven't watched the show before.

SELL IT BACK TO 4KIDS O_O

Hahahahaha. That's a great joke.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    And how can the main character have too much face time?

You know, the Mega Man X series of games was supposed to be about X, and yet X was only focused on 2 of these games (Mega Man X/MHX and Mega Man X3, maybe three if one counts Xtreme into the mix.), Zero was more of the focus in X2 (since the main plotline involved trying to rebuild Zero), X4-X6 (since most of it dealt with fleshing out the backstory with Zero, and X4 was arguably more of a "Mega Man Zero" game since it seems as though Zero's story/Zero's ending was the one that was canon, and in the case of X6, the entire storyline had been focused on Zero's possible resurrection), X7 and X8 dealt more on Axl than on X (in fact, with the former, X was barely a playable character until the end, and unlike X2 or even X6, the plot barely even involved X). So X has two games (maybe three if one counts Xtreme), Zero has about four games (possibly five, if one counts Xtreme 2, which was mainly due to revealing how Zero first met Iris), and Axl has two games (three counting Command Mission, since like how X2 and X6 involved Zero in terms of the plot, Command Mission dealt with an Axl-sh plot involving the origins of his copy ability [including the main villain, Redips, having a copy ability.].

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    I couldn't watch an episode of Pokemon again if Ash wasn't in it. Ash and Pikachu are just such a memorable child hood memory for many Pokemon fans I know, and to take away that would just change the series completely.

I'd like if they make a new anime series with somebody other then Ash, but kept the one they have now going. That way I could follow clearly and still have a new anime to watch. ^_^'

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Mega man words

Video games are something much easier to shift the focus around on. Just look at the Mario and Sonic franchises, which have many supporting characters carrying their own games, with little or no appearance by Mario or Sonic.

Contrast that with television show's spin-offs, which are all almost always condemned by both fans via ratings, and through the critics.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back