• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I like Ash as a character (not with the new voice, though). I think they should have him decide to train his strongest Pokemon, though. There are only so many times he can start over and over without it getting boring. They should tag along a new trainer who actually wants to become a master (like Ash in the original) who is just starting out to introduce the new generation Pokemon and have Ash use his strongest team (like Charizard, Sceptile, etc) to try to become the best. That would be the best of both worlds, imo.

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    I think when SoulSilver and HeartGold come out they should start over with a new character. I don't really watch the anime that much anymore, it's pretty boring and really repetitive.

If they're gonna start fresh I think there should be a 10 year old that actually looks 10 years old. Ash has always looked like a 13-14 year old to me. Same with people like May and Dawn.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Video games are something much easier to shift the focus around on. Just look at the Mario and Sonic franchises, which have many supporting characters carrying their own games, with little or no appearance by Mario or Sonic.

Contrast that with television show's spin-offs, which are all almost always condemned by both fans via ratings, and through the critics.

Actually, the video games actually DO get condemned by both fans and ratings in certain cases involving main characters. A notable example would be Mega Man X7, which both the Mega Man Fanbase and ratings dictated it as the worst Mega Man X game since that series started. Heck, they also had to completely redo Zero during the developmental stages of the first Mega Man X game because they feared that the fans would not connect with him had he been the X character (That would also explain why X looked like the original Mega Man). Shadow the Hedgehog received lukewarm reviews, so really, it's NOT easier to shift character in video games than in tv shows.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Actually, the video games actually DO get condemned by both fans and ratings in certain cases involving main characters.

Those are two examples. As Wario and others from Mario games have shown, supporting characters can do well on their own. Compare that with television shows, like:

• Happy Days steep decline in quality and ratings after main character Howie Cunninham left
    • and all of the crap spin-offs that came from Happy Days
    • The Lone Gunman, spun off from X-Files
    • 90210, spun off from Beverly Hills 90210.
    And that's just a fraction of the crap spin-offs from television.

This doesn't make it impossible for a television show to be successful as a spin-off. Law and Order, Boston Legal, and Private Practice have all been well received, and Frasier too, though it could be argued that Frasier was just Cheers done under a different name.

But the odds are stacked against television spin-offs. Compared with video games, where several characters like Luigi, Wario, and Shadow (yes, the game was panned, but it still sold +1,000,000 copies and was re-released on a Greatest Hits line, usually reserved for high-selling games) have shown that video game spin offs, as their own franchises, can thrive.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I think when SoulSilver and HeartGold come out they should start over with a new character. I don't really watch the anime that much anymore, it's pretty boring and really repetitive.
    It would be the samething though. Make your complaints sound a little reasonable señor.

If they're gonna start fresh I think there should be a 10 year old that actually looks 10 years old. Ash has always looked like a 13-14 year old to me. Same with people like May and Dawn.
    'Kay.

Years
    I think the voice actors are a massive problem. Get the old ones back or make them show some more feeling. It doesn't have to sound the same, it just has to be good acting. (I've been in theater classes. I know good acting.) Also, the episodes aren't individual stories anymore. I know it's called "Pokemon" but the trainers need to have personality as well. Even Pikachu needs a personality again. I think instead of having a 10 year old girl travel with them next season, they should have a girl who is a couple years older than Ash. (For example, Misty.) I think Brock needs to leave. His Pokemon have no personality. Croagunk is just there for the ear pulling which is getting dull. He keeps hitting on girls most of the time. He's too predictable. I don't want to see another coordinator. It's too repetitive. Misty was actually a good trainer. So what that she changed because of Togepi? She had a personality. She actually had feelings for Ash. Ash cried when she left. Team Rocket should really stop trying to take Ash's Pokemon. They should just do contests. James needs to find something to do. It's good that they made Jessie do contests. They can focus on her with her contests instead of bringing in a 10 year old who can do contests. A lot of the episodes focus too much on the attacks of the Pokemon. And Pikachu really needs to learn some new moves. I'm sick of Volt Tackle already. My ideas may not be perfect, but it's better than starting a whole new series where the MCs will do the same thing as Ash.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I think the voice actors are a massive problem. Get the old ones back or make them show some more feeling. It doesn't have to sound the same, it just has to be good acting. (I've been in theater classes. I know good acting.)

The old VAs aren't the end all be all of VA. Honestly, outside of James and Brock (who shared the same VA when 4 kids did it), I wouldnt have noticed the change if it wasn't for Internet Fan outrage.

Also, the episodes aren't individual stories anymore.

Isn't this a good thing? Instead of filler-after-filler like in Johto, we have an overlying theme that ties Sinnoh together.

But even with the big overall plots such as the Grand Festival, the Sinnoh League, Team Galactic, and the E4/Champion stuff, each episode is easily understood, and in no way do you really need to see the episode(s) before it to understand what's going on.

I know it's called "Pokemon" but the trainers need to have personality as well.

Sinnoh has given more development to the cast, including the many supporting cast that populate Sinnoh. Outside of Brock, who still gets his couple of episodes per region, development for trainer's and Pokemon are better than ever.

(For example, Misty.)

Misty isn't older.

He's too predictable.

While I kind of agree, you have to remember that this is a kids' television show, and running gags such as Brock's are a staple of that type of cartoon.

She had a personality.

All of the characters do. Remember, there's a difference between "I like it/don't like it" and "It doesn't exist."

She actually had feelings for Ash.

Yeah, she considers Ash a close friend, just as she does Brock and others; and just as Ash considers Misty and others close friends too.

Your point?

SooHee

Lame Trainer
    Years
    I don't know. I have to agree that I loved him at firs but he's just getting boring. I want him to kind of pass the torch onto another character, not completely making him go away from the show? Like, I basically don't want a brand new series.

Lol, I don't know what I'm saying

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I envy him. I don't want him to change because I like him the way he is, and so that it gives me something to envy and fantasise about. I don't see why he should pass down the torch because he has held it for so long, and Croagunk's part in it still makes me laugh or at least giggle. I think Dawn has a really big personality, she did at the beggining of her contest career be really full of her self, and then before the Wallace cup, had a big change in personality and was really nervous, now she is sort of confident, but not too confident. Brock has changed from what I've seen. He has become older, and wiser in a way, but still falls for every pretty woman he meets, which is good, because that is one of the classic giggles. Still makes me laugh. I don't think they should change the show one bit.

R@GE

[eXs] R@GE
    Years
    NEvaa! :p

ash is the main character why should he go lol, his been there from the start and will be to the finish!

end of :)

AshAngel899

Ash Ketchum/Satoshi <3
    Years
    no! they should keep ash the main character! besides, dawn is becoming the main character, more than ash, so be happy!! >:(

go you. everyone else hates ash. what's with that?!

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Damn, this thread was so close to dying. Why do people keep posting here?

Why can't people understand that Ash is here and just live with it?

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Sorry for this, I don't like counter-posting people, especially on opinions. It's rude, and pretty arrogant. But what the hell.

The old VAs aren't the end all be all of VA. Honestly, outside of James and Brock (who shared the same VA when 4 kids did it), I wouldnt have noticed the change if it wasn't for Internet Fan outrage.

All opinions. Internet rage means that it is very much irritating to many other peeps. If you dind't notice Ash's drastic voice change, I kinda question your ears.

Isn't this a good thing? Instead of filler-after-filler like in Johto, we have an overlying theme that ties Sinnoh together.

The early episodes of Sinnoh was crap, in my opinion, but Iagree that the stronger storyline of the later season (of Sinnoh) works.

But even with the big overall plots such as the Grand Festival, the Sinnoh League, Team Galactic, and the E4/Champion stuff, each episode is easily understood, and in no way do you really need to see the episode(s) before it to understand what's going on.

Eh.

Sinnoh has given more development to the cast, including the many supporting cast that populate Sinnoh. Outside of Brock, who still gets his couple of episodes per region, development for trainer's and Pokemon are better than ever.

MOAR OPINION!!!11!11!

But seriously, I agree & disagree. Character development is purty fine this season for me. Not as great as ever, but more than adequate.

Misty isn't older.

Yeah, why isn't that?

While I kind of agree, you have to remember that this is a kids' television show, and running gags such as Brock's are a staple of that type of cartoon.

I agree with running gags. I HATE the fact that despite the fact that there is good character development, I dislike how SHALLOW they seem to be. I blame the voice acting. If Dawn talks like she's talking to pre-schoolers, I'm gonna throttle her with that stupid drumstick she carries around.

All of the characters do. Remember, there's a difference between "I like it/don't like it" and "It doesn't exist."

Eh.

Yeah, she considers Ash a close friend, just as she does Brock and others; and just as Ash considers Misty and others close friends too.

A LITTLE TOO CLOSE!!!!!!11!!!1

Your point?

He gave it, you just used more opinion to counter his opinions, as if that makes sense.

At any rate, don't lose the brat, just make him less...strained.

Damn, this thread was so close to dying. Why do people keep posting here?

Why can't people understand that Ash is here and just live with it?

Holy crap, just noticed this post!

So, hold on. Because you like him, we are not allowed to speak on our thoughts about it...in a place meant to speak on such topic? We must "deal with it"? Yeah...that's productive. Unless you agree with meh, keep your opinions to yourself, eh?

Why do you come here, then? AHA! Checkmate!

Or not. Whatever.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    sims796 said:
    Holy crap, just noticed this post!
    Woah! Maybe you'll notice this one too.

So, hold on. Because you like him, we are not allowed to speak on our thoughts about it...
    No. It's because half of the reasons in this thread don't make sense and half of the people here basically want to replace Ash with another Ash. Uh-oh.

in a place meant to speak on such topic? We must "deal with it"?
    Yeah that's right.

Yeah...that's productive.
    Quite.

Unless you agree with meh, keep your opinions to yourself, eh?
    That's too difficult for me to do.

Why do you come here, then? AHA! Checkmate!
    To try to tell people that replacing a character with someone just like him or someone that would do the samething is quite dumb.

Or not. Whatever.
    Productive. Maybe.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Reason? Ha, they're all opinions! Ya can't reasons opinion...with more opinion. That doesn't make sense. Like...at all.

Another Ash? Maybe...they're just sick of seeing his face, and a new character that does the same thing would be welcome? I mean, we shouldn't post our opinions on a thread meant for posting opinoins, eh? Makes perfect sense! ZOMG, they don't agree with me in a thread that opposes what I think! I should keep coming back to let people know that this thread shouldn't be here! Yay!

I mean, if those people are so unreasonable, why bother repeating yourself?

Forced opinions FTW!

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
    Well, here I am putting in my two cents. It's true that Ash is probably gonna be that main character forever...or at least until the end of Sinnoh if thats where it ends. But people like to keep things fresh on the show. Look at Jimmy, Yoshi, or ,whatever you wanna call him, and his beautiful Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku voice. He was quite a change from Ash and though he only had a 3 episode special you can obviously spot some drastic differences from the Ash's story. Good animation, good conflict, the classic Team Rocket at there best.
    Maybe some people don't wan't Ash replaced but just want some more life to a dying storyline. Fillers can get annoying. I know at this point I'm ranting but sometimes the characters aren't the problem.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back