• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Well, here I am putting in my two cents. It's true that Ash is probably gonna be that main character forever...or at least until the end of Sinnoh if thats where it ends. But people like to keep things fresh on the show. Look at Jimmy, Yoshi, or ,whatever you wanna call him, and his beautiful Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku voice. He was quite a change from Ash and though he only had a 3 episode special you can obviously spot some drastic differences from the Ash's story. Good animation, good conflict, the classic Team Rocket at there best.
    Maybe some people don't wan't Ash replaced but just want some more life to a dying storyline. Fillers can get annoying. I know at this point I'm ranting but sometimes the characters aren't the problem.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I like how there (their? I never get it right lol) seems to be an action oriented storyline in the show, but that could be just me. Hah, how funny was that kid who basically lucked out in getting his pokes, and didn't have to battle...to get a badge? God, I envied Ash. Not now though. I chalk his voice acting to puberty :/

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    I'm tired of him, he doesn't catch good Pokemon when he had a Chance, for example: Rotom and Swampert in the DPP Anime.
    He should release his Buizel, and replace it as Swampert, and release his Chimchar too. Chimchar should be replaced as Rotom. He's obviously a WEAK Pokemon Trainer, and saids something like "I take care of my Pokemon, they are my friends." Hmph! Just who thinks Pokemon are "friends"?! I think Paul in the DPP Anime is right. Some of his interesting lines are: "Hmph. As long as the Pokemon is strong and has awesome moves, I'll keep it. If it doesn't, I'll release it."

He doesn't evolve his old weak Pikachu, which could have been a Raichu by now. He doesn't evolve some of his Pokemon, which makes me think he's a Noob and an Idiot.

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
    I'm tired of him, he doesn't catch good Pokemon when he had a Chance, for example: Rotom and Swampert in the DPP Anime.
    He should release his Buizel, and replace it as Swampert, and release his Chimchar too. Chimchar should be replaced as Rotom. He's obviously a WEAK Pokemon Trainer, and saids something like "I take care of my Pokemon, they are my friends." Hmph! Just who thinks Pokemon are "friends"?! I think Paul in the DPP Anime is right. Some of his interesting lines are: "Hmph. As long as the Pokemon is strong and has awesome moves, I'll keep it. If it doesn't, I'll release it."

He doesn't evolve his old weak Pikachu, which could have been a Raichu by now. He doesn't evolve some of his Pokemon, which makes me think he's a Noob and an Idiot.

um...let me get this straight...Ash is obviously a weak Pokemon trainer because he has caring heart and looks at Pokemon as friends or even family? Haven't you realized Paul is Ash's opposite in almost every way? And his old weak Pikachu has taken down Raichus, Dragonites, and so on...that is pretty pathetic. And that Chimchar is complete crap that can take down just an Ursaring? An Infernape could do that without a problem so what makes Chimchar so special? And that Buizel must be retarded if it can beat a dumb ol' Lucario.
    If my sarcasm isn't annoying you let me know. Obviously, wat I'm trying to say is that with all is first stage Pokemon he's doing pretty good. But only a noob and idiot could do all those things, am I right?

sims796

Years
    um...let me get this straight...Ash is obviously a weak Pokemon trainer because he has caring heart and looks at Pokemon as friends or even family? Haven't you realized Paul is Ash's opposite in almost every way? And his old weak Pikachu has taken down Raichus, Dragonites, and so on...that is pretty pathetic. And that Chimchar is complete crap that can take down just an Ursaring? An Infernape could do that without a problem so what makes Chimchar so special? And that Buizel must be retarded if it can beat a dumb ol' Lucario.
    If my sarcasm isn't annoying you let me know. Obviously, what I'm trying to say is that with all is first stage Pokemon he's doing pretty good. But only a noob and idiot could do all those things, am I right?

GRAMMAR ASSAULT

Joking, joking!

But hey, tomato tom-a-to. You'd be surprised how many CHILDREN share his exact beliefs, Nyjil. When I was younger, Ash was instantly bad because he never evolved his pokes. Aw, Bulby doesn't wanna evolve? MAKE HIM! The pansy.

But, as we get older, and hold our childinsh love of pokes, we realize there is more to him that meets the eye. I remember when I was ten, I kept my main pokes from evolving. At ALL times. They were just teh kewlest because my Chikorita was at lvl 60 while my Espeon was only 50.

THAT is how you become an uber trainer.

Years
    Not true. It's just that 12 years of Satoshi has brainwashed people into thinking that.

An engaging rotating character base will be a great thing~
    Well I meant the series just won't have that same feeling. I'm sure it would be successful with a different main character but it would never have that same captivity in my opinion.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Reason? Ha, they're all opinions! Ya can't reasons opinion...with more opinion. That doesn't make sense. Like...at all.

I wonder why people debate then since it doesn't make sense to do it.

Another Ash? Maybe...they're just sick of seeing his face, and a new character that does the same thing would be welcome?

You have not read this thread have you? A bulk of complaints are that he doesn't win the league, he doesn't evolve his Pokémon, etc. Now, how would replacing him wih someone that would do the samething he does make sense again? Why replace a character whose traits you hate with another character who has the same traits as the original character? A new face doesn't change the traits you hate.

I mean, we shouldn't post our opinions on a thread meant for posting opinoins, eh?

I never said you shouldn't.

Makes perfect sense! ZOMG, they don't agree with me in a thread that opposes what I think! I should keep coming back to let people know that this thread shouldn't be here! Yay!

¡Congratulations, you're learning!

I mean, if those people are so unreasonable, why bother repeating yourself?

Why not?

Forced opinions FTW!

Chat speak? As you would say "FAIL!"

sims796

Years
    I wonder why people debate then since it doesn't make sense to do it.

There's a difference between debating, and not accepting the fact that others don't agree. They certainly have the right to say so here, especially since this wasn't a debate thread to start off with.

You have not read this thread have you? A bulk of complaints are that he doesn't win the league, he doesn't evolve his Pokémon, etc. Now, how would replacing him wih someone that would do the samething he does make sense again? Why replace a character whose traits you hate with another character who has the same traits as the original character? A new face doesn't change the traits you hate.

Oh, my, I have read the thread, most of it anyway. But, as it's been said, some people just want a change of face. I don't care why, nor does it make sense to argue that it "doesn't make sense". Many people have varying taste, you know. Honestly, it sounds quite chidlish, like some sort of deranged pokemon fanboy.

I never said you shouldn't.

Wut? Yeah, you did. You're whole point was "why does this thread still exist? Can't people just deal with it?" Well, they can, and they still choose to talk about it. Don't like it, cry on the internet.

Oh wait...

Apparently, you're not.

Well, let's see, it might be because whining that other people don't happen to agree with you, then coming back to whine that other people don't agree with you...sounds dumb.

Chat speak? As you would say "FAIL!"

Yup. Gotta problem with that? It helps prove you're point? I use it when something seems silly, which what you're doing certainly is.

If, y'know, you wanna make a stronger argument without cheap shots...by all means.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    sims796 said:
    There's a difference between debating, and not accepting the fact that others don't agree. They certainly have the right to say so here, especially since this wasn't a debate thread to start off with.

I commented on how your statement also didn't make any sense. Anyway, why not disagree? If you disagree with someone than you should voice your opinion as much as you like.

Oh, my, I have read the thread, most of it anyway. But, as it's been said, some people just want a change of face. I don't care why, nor does it make sense to argue that it "doesn't make sense". Many people have varying taste, you know. Honestly, it sounds quite chidlish, like some sort of deranged pokemon fanboy.

I am quite childish aren't I? I couldn't care less if they changed the lead role since they've done it on so many other things that I've taken a liking to. As I've already said, I've stated what I thought on some of the things people have said and that's that. It may not make sense to most but what's done is done, no?

Wut? Yeah, you did. You're whole point was "why does this thread still exist? Can't people just deal with it?" Well, they can, and they still choose to talk about it. Don't like it, cry on the internet.

Yes I asked why can't people deal with it. I never said they couldn't post though. The thread is still open. Some people will voice their opinions and I'll voice mine.

Well, let's see, it might be because whining that other people don't happen to agree with you, then coming back to whine that other people don't agree with you...sounds dumb.

I'm just being consistant.

If, y'know, you wanna make a stronger argument without cheap shots...by all means.

But it makes good small talk. Your "Forcing opnions FTW!" didn't help.

We obviously have conflicting views that neither of us will budge on so do we continue or leave it be?

Ayselipera

I actually like ash, I think its the other characters that bring him down.

sims796

Years
    I commented on how your statement also didn't make any sense. Anyway, why not disagree? If you disagree with someone than you should voice your opinion as much as you like.
    I am quite childish aren't I? I couldn't care less if they changed the lead role since they've done it on so many other things that I've taken a liking to. As I've already said, I've stated what I thought on some of the things people have said and that's that. It may not make sense to most but what's done is done, no?
    Yes I asked why can't people deal with it. I never said they couldn't post though. The thread is still open. Some people will voice their opinions and I'll voice mine.
    I'm just being consistant.
    But it makes good small talk. Your "Forcing opnions FTW!" didn't help.
    We obviously have conflicting views that neither of us will budge on so do we continue or leave it be?

Meh, I was tired when I wrote that.

At any rate, if you disagree, feel free, but to say "why can't people deal with it", or worse, "why is this thread still here" makes no sense, which happens on the web too often. It's rude, it's elitist, it doesn't promote discussion, and it's just plain annoying. Don't really care about others opinions I don't, but I will never complain that others are sharing them. Cept in this case, apparently :/

I use such speak when the topic is funny, & ain't meant to be taken srsly. Like this. It's pokemonz. Feel free to disagree all you want, but fair play 2 all.

Cept team rocket. I'd LOVE to see them gone. Their voices made annoying characters worse. Especially since they're in like, EVERY EPISODE.

Hm....might make a new thread.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I think maybe they should sort of discard Ash and maybe go where they left off with Jimmy. See if anything happens with Marina... Or there's always Paul, it'd be cool to get a glimpse into the story of a bully and rival of Ash. And who ever wonders about Misty, May, or Gary? Hmmmmm...

(Don't get me wrong, I like Ash, but there are more interesting plots now that with Ash, it's pretty much the same thing over and over.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Hey, the writers had done the same thing with May to Dawn. Give Dawn the same goal, give Dawn the same bird starter as May, give her some problems with Contests, giving her the same personality as May (generally speaking, that is), yet the writers still do that, anyways.

If they could do it with May and Dawn successfully, they can CERTAINLY do the same with Ash to whoever they replace him with.

I think sims796 was being sarcastic, Warped_Reflection.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    This thread just goes around and around in circles getting absolutely nowhere. I thought it was dead forever, but it seems to be short of a month only by a few days -_-

Well, whatever, if there was a new main character I would want them to have a different role other than that of a Pokemon trainer. I don't mind when they only show other trainers for a short time, like Jimmy and that other person in the Chronicles, but they would basically end up doing pretty much the same thing, like with May and Dawn. However, seeing as the main games only focus on being a Pokemon trainer, the anime would never focus solely on a non-Pokemon trainer role.

sims796

Years
    Well, to me, even though Dawn & May are *almost* carbon copies when it comes to goals, they come about it in different ways. Their peronalities are very different. May started off as a person who didn't care for pokemon (ZOMG TERRORIST POGEY HATORZ!!11!), and eventually found her calling. Dawn is a rookie trainer that knows more on pokes, and is basaically following in her mother's footsteps...while eventually finding her own style.

So yes, a facelift may be all that we need. Like Jimmy. He does the same thing as Ash, but you can't call them the same person.

Game Creator

Work in progress
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2009
    I thought Ash was a Pokemon Master after the first season, but I don't know why they won't let him go. I don't want to see him anymore.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back