• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Ok so I'm adding some custom items to my hack and when I try to compile my item description it gives me a "Error 6 Overflow on line 4 Wrong parameter type" error and I don't think my code is wrong but I dunno whats going on

Code:
    '-----------------------
    #dynamic 0x634906
    #org @string
    = A peculiar stone that makes certain\nspecies of POKeMON evolve.\lIt shines with a dazzling light.

Hmm. Try copy and pasting the script in your post over the entire script you have in XSE (ctrl+A to make sure you highlight eeeeverything).

Sometimes XSE has a mishap. I copy and pasted your script and it debugged just fine for me. :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2023
    well I redownloaded XSE and my code worked that time, mustve been a bug with teh version I was using.

Edit: Well I seem to have run into anotehr snag, I've managed to successfully impliment the Dawn, Dusk and Shiny stones but there text is kinda messed up http://gyazo.com/92547a1abd9b40e256f25dbe521218f1 and yet in the editing programs they appear fine

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    well I redownloaded XSE and my code worked that time, mustve been a bug with teh version I was using.

Edit: Well I seem to have run into anotehr snag, I've managed to successfully impliment the Dawn, Dusk and Shiny stones but there text is kinda messed up http://gyazo.com/92547a1abd9b40e256f25dbe521218f1 and yet in the editing programs they appear fine

I'm not 100% sure on the accents or anything but I saw your code incorrectly used the \l command as it pushes the text up and away:

First Line
    \nSecond Line
    \nThird Line

Also make sure you compile in free space and fix the pointers appropritely !

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I found a command that's not covered in the tutorial nor did I find a mention of it in the thread. It's "PLAYERFACING", a handy command that allows the script to differentiate depending on the direction the player is facing. I found it in the Black Glasses guy.
    Spoiler:

As you can see, it's used with:
    "compare PLAYERFACING 0xX
    if 0x1 call @string"

The X in 0xX is dependent on the direction the player is facing. After some experimenting, I found that 0x1 is facing down, 0x2 is facing up, 0x3 is facing left, and 0x4 is facing right.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    Hey does anyone know if there is a scripting limit per map? I have roughly 16 scripts on my 'Route 1' in my game and when I add one more the game freezes whenI walk into Route 1. Anyone know why?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Hey does anyone know if there is a scripting limit per map? I have roughly 16 scripts on my 'Route 1' in my game and when I add one more the game freezes whenI walk into Route 1. Anyone know why?

As far as I know, there isn't. What kind of script did you add last?

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    As far as I know, there isn't. What kind of script did you add last?

Well here is my issue.

So I have a giant map with roughly 25 OWs (all trainers) and so I've been adding trainerbattle offsets to them. Let's just use Route 1 (1.1) and Route 1 (1.2) as examples. Most of the scripts (I would say four of them) are in Route 1 (1.1) and the other 12 are in Route 1 (1.2). With the 16 scripts, the game works perfectly fine. Then I tried adding script 17 to Route 1 (1.2) and now anytime I try walking into Route 1 (1.1) or Route 1 (1.2) the game freezes. I triple checked the script and it's exactly like the others. I'm not writing over any used space. Any ideas?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Well here is my issue.

So I have a giant map with roughly 25 OWs (all trainers) and so I've been adding trainerbattle offsets to them. Let's just use Route 1 (1.1) and Route 1 (1.2) as examples. Most of the scripts (I would say four of them) are in Route 1 (1.1) and the other 12 are in Route 1 (1.2). With the 16 scripts, the game works perfectly fine. Then I tried adding script 17 to Route 1 (1.2) and now anytime I try walking into Route 1 (1.1) or Route 1 (1.2) the game freezes. I triple checked the script and it's exactly like the others. I'm not writing over any used space. Any ideas?

So thats 17 OWs yes? Yeah the limit per map is 16 iirc. It might be your issue, try the same script on 1.1 rather than 1.2.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    So thats 17 OWs yes? Yeah the limit per map is 16 iirc. It might be your issue, try the same script on 1.1 rather than 1.2.

I don't believe there's any (small) limit to OWs on a map. There is a limit to how many you can have on screen at the same time, but I have multiple maps with 16+ OWs and no problems with them.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • So.. i just tried the Givepokemon command, i'm using Pokemon Ruby and i have 3 problems:

1) What's the exact command to quote the Player's Name?
    I silly thought that "[PLAYER's Name]" would work, it don't xD..

2) How can i make stop the NPC after it gave me the Pokemon one time?
    After received the Pokemon (Bulbasaur), she told me the first msgbox again, asking me if i wanted it, basically, it repeated from the beginning after ending once D:

3) How can i fix in the nickname screen, the Pokemon's icon?
    In the Command i've specified 0x1 0x5 0xC5 0x0 0x0 0x0 (Bulbasaur, Lv5 with a Lucky Egg) but in the nickname screen the icon was Combusken's one D: ...

Thanks in advance, greetings from Uruguay <3

EDIT:
    Oh, yeah, here's the script, just in case:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x8004C8

#org @inicio
    checkflag 0x828
    if 0x1 goto @entregado
    msgbox @give1 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @tomado
    msgbox @give2 0x6
    release
    end

#org @tomado
    givepokemon 0x1 0x5 0xC5 0x0 0x0 0x0
    fanfare 0x13E
    msgbox @give3 0x4
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress
    setflag 0x828
    msgbox @give4 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 call @nombre
    msgbox @give5 0x6
    release
    end

#org @nombre
    call 0X1A74EB
    return

#org @entregado
    msgbox @give6 0x6
    release
    end

#org @give1
    = Hola, soy Blue, vine con un amigo\ndesde la Region Kanto y me temo\lque en el viaje se enfermó este\lpequeño BULBASAUR, está claro que\lno soy su entrenadora ideal, asi\lque.. ¿Podrias llevarle a un\lCentro Pokemon y cuidarle de ahora\len adelante?

#org @give2
    = No te preocupes, lo entiendo,\nquiza sea demasiada\lresponsabilidad para un entrenador\lcomo tu, estoy segura de que\lalguien mas lo cuidará.

#org @give3
    = ¡[PLAYER's name] ha recibido un\nBULBASAUR!

#org @give4
    = ¿Te gustaria darle un apodo a tu\nBULBASAUR?

#org @give5
    = Espero que tu y BULBASAUR sean\nmuy buenos amigos de ahora en\ladelante.

#org @give6
    = ¿Como han estado tu y BULBASAUR?\nSeguro que ya han tenido un monton\lde aventuras.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • So.. i just tried the Givepokemon command, i'm using Pokemon Ruby and i have 3 problems:

1) What's the exact command to quote the Player's Name?
    I silly thought that "[PLAYER's Name]" would work, it don't xD..

It's [player] and [rival] for the you guessed it.. the rival :)
    2) How can i make stop the NPC after it gave me the Pokemon one time?
    After received the Pokemon (Bulbasaur), she told me the first msgbox again, asking me if i wanted it, basically, it repeated from the beginning after ending once D:

Use flags for this one.. Use only safe ones though..

3) How can i fix in the nickname screen, the Pokemon's icon?
    In the Command i've specified 0x1 0x5 0xC5 0x0 0x0 0x0 (Bulbasaur, Lv5 with a Lucky Egg) but in the nickname screen the icon was Combusken's one D: ...

Thanks in advance, greetings from Uruguay <3

EDIT:
    Oh, yeah, here's the script, just in case:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x8004C8

#org @inicio
    checkflag 0x828
    if 0x1 goto @entregado
    msgbox @give1 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @tomado
    msgbox @give2 0x6
    release
    end

#org @tomado
    fanfare 0x13E
    msgbox @give3 0x4
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress
    setflag 0x828
    msgbox @give4 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 call @nombre
    msgbox @give5 0x6
    release
    end

#org @nombre
    call 0X1A74EB
    return

#org @entregado
    msgbox @give6 0x6
    release
    end

#org @give1
    = Hola, soy Blue, vine con un amigo\ndesde la Region Kanto y me temo\lque en el viaje se enfermó este\lpequeño BULBASAUR, está claro que\lno soy su entrenadora ideal, asi\lque.. ¿Podrias llevarle a un\lCentro Pokemon y cuidarle de ahora\len adelante?

#org @give2
    = No te preocupes, lo entiendo,\nquiza sea demasiada\lresponsabilidad para un entrenador\lcomo tu, estoy segura de que\lalguien mas lo cuidará.

#org @give3
    = ¡[PLAYER's name] ha recibido un\nBULBASAUR!

#org @give4
    = ¿Te gustaria darle un apodo a tu\nBULBASAUR?

#org @give5
    = Espero que tu y BULBASAUR sean\nmuy buenos amigos de ahora en\ladelante.

#org @give6
    = ¿Como han estado tu y BULBASAUR?\nSeguro que ya han tenido un monton\lde aventuras.
    Dunno about this one cause i cant understand spanish XD
    But I guess the problem comes from you calling a pointer in @nombre
    It's probably better to make your own nicknaming script.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Use flags for this one.. Use only safe ones though..

Uff.. i've fixed it by reading the script and using the if 0x1 command <3
    I've modified this:
    Code:
    #org @tomado
    fanfare 0x13E
    msgbox @give3 0x4
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress
    setflag 0x828
    msgbox @give4 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 call @nombre
    msgbox @give5 0x6
    [B]checkflag 0x828
    if 0x0 goto @give6[/B]
    release
    end

Uff, thank you so much <3
    Now, the nickname thing is irrelevant, it doesn't matter <3

Lone_Darkrai

Darkrai Unleashed !
    Years
  • Firstly WoW Awesome Tutorial ! :D
    Second How Can I Make the Hack Start With Just a Single Gender ?
    I Mean Removal of Choice .

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • DiegoisAwesome has a nifty editor named GBA IntroEd that can make that happen along with a few other things.. You should really check it out.

Thanks !
    I Had it in my PC But never Actually Tried it :p
    Actually I just wanted to clarify, my tool is called GBA Intro Manager, IntroEd is someone else's (ancient) tool.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    I've found an error on the Special: 0x9C is "Choose your Pokèmon" (the one with Birch's bag) while "Wally capture" is actually 0x9D!

Anyway I've got a question: is there a way to enable the National Dex in Pokèmon Ruby?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I've found an error on the Special: 0x9C is "Choose your Pokèmon" (the one with Birch's bag) while "Wally capture" is actually 0x9D!

Anyway I've got a question: is there a way to enable the National Dex in Pokèmon Ruby?

Add these lines of code after setting the Pokédex flag in your script.
    Code:
    writebytetooffset 0x2 0x2026B00
    writebytetooffset 0x3 0x2026B01
    writebytetooffset 0xDA 0x2024EBE
    writebytetooffset 0x67 0x2026A5A

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    Add these lines of code after setting the Pokédex flag in your script.
    Code:
    writebytetooffset 0x2 0x2026B00
    writebytetooffset 0x3 0x2026B01
    writebytetooffset 0xDA 0x2024EBE
    writebytetooffset 0x67 0x2026A5A

Oh I'm an idiot, I've already done it but I haven't changed the Dex in game x) Thanks anyway!

Back