• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Editing] Silvally and its Legendary Status

User19sq

I've thought about this for quite a long time now, (about four hours) after learning that Silvally is actually a Legendary Pokemon. And I think I can take a crack at why it's so odd.

I was thinking of writing an essay that makes arguments against why labeling Silvally as a Legendary Pokemon does more harm that it does justice, citing my reasons in the cold, hard facts present within the main series Pokemon games themselves along the way. Any thoughts?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've thought about this for quite a long time now, (about four hours) after learning that Silvally is actually a Legendary Pokemon. And I think I can take a crack at why it's so odd.

I was thinking of writing an essay that makes arguments against why labeling Silvally as a Legendary Pokemon does more harm that it does justice, citing my reasons in the cold, hard facts present within the main series Pokemon games themselves along the way. Any thoughts?
    Quote notification so you know this thread exists for article drafting! Post again when something is ready to be proofread. :)

User19sq

Sorry for the wait, but, you know... holiday. Anyway, got this drafted up:

Spoiler:

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Sorry for the wait, but, you know... holiday. Anyway, got this drafted up:

Spoiler:

Looks very good! Well written and I don't see anything in need of improvement.

Seems good to me!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think grammar and layout are fine, but I feel the competitive comparisons here are a bit biased in addition to being a bit too long.

Don't get me wrong here, Silvally is pretty bad in 6v6 singles. But the way you go about talking about it in your article seems to make it seem so much worse than everything other Pokémon.

First of all, Silvally's BST is only 10 less than the Legendary Birds, Dogs, Regis, etc. and the same as the Island Guardians. I kind of get where you're going with the comparisons of stats (similar BST Pokémon may have some stats that are lower than some of Silvally's stats, but have strengths that outshine their weaknesses), but from a different perspective Silvally has strengths that those Pokémon do not have either. Of course, BST doesn't matter in determining Legendary status (Slaking, Pseudo-Legendaries, Wishiwashi).

What I really have a problem with is your argument on how Silvally fares against certain Pokémon. Aside from me thinking that judging a Pokémon based on its ability to 1v1 other "accepted" Pokémon is not very fair, there is also the fact that Silvally CAN beat Hoopa, Pheromosa, etc. and not in "astronomical situations". Here are some facts (assuming pure 1v1, no hazards, and efficient EVs):
    • Silvally boasts higher speed than both Hoopa formes, so it can run Focus Sash and U-Turn and Shadow Claw to always knock out Hoopa.
    • Silvally-Ghost is not 2HKO'd by any Pheromosa attack bar Throat Chop, and can just run Flame Charge and Aerial Ace. If Phero is Scarfed/Sash, it's a 50/50, otherwise Pheromosa loses to Flame Charge -> Aerial Ace.
    • Xurkitree has to run Hypnosis to beat Silvally. Otherwise it gets OHKO'd by Ground-type Multi-Attack (and can't OHKO back even with Modest Energy Ball).
    • Naganadel can be beaten by Flame Charge -> Ground-type Multi-Attack, similar to how Silvally can beat Pheromosa.
    Nihilego, Buzzwole, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, and Blacephalon all get blown away as well. Yes, you can argue that some of these UB's have a better chance if they didn't invest everything into Speed, but I hope this shows that Silvally is more than capable of holding its own.There is no single Silvally set that can beat all of the UB's, but it is more than capable of winning a 1v1 with any UB.

Also, "as established before" twice in a row is bad.

User19sq

I think grammar and layout are fine, but I feel the competitive comparisons here are a bit biased in addition to being a bit too long.

Don't get me wrong here, Silvally is pretty bad in 6v6 singles. But the way you go about talking about it in your article seems to make it seem so much worse than everything other Pokémon.

First of all, Silvally's BST is only 10 less than the Legendary Birds, Dogs, Regis, etc. and the same as the Island Guardians. I kind of get where you're going with the comparisons of stats (similar BST Pokémon may have some stats that are lower than some of Silvally's stats, but have strengths that outshine their weaknesses), but from a different perspective Silvally has strengths that those Pokémon do not have either. Of course, BST doesn't matter in determining Legendary status (Slaking, Pseudo-Legendaries, Wishiwashi).

What I really have a problem with is your argument on how Silvally fares against certain Pokémon. Aside from me thinking that judging a Pokémon based on its ability to 1v1 other "accepted" Pokémon is not very fair, there is also the fact that Silvally CAN beat Hoopa, Pheromosa, etc. and not in "astronomical situations". Here are some facts (assuming pure 1v1, no hazards, and efficient EVs):
    • Silvally boasts higher speed than both Hoopa formes, so it can run Focus Sash and U-Turn and Shadow Claw to always knock out Hoopa.
    • Silvally-Ghost is not 2HKO'd by any Pheromosa attack bar Throat Chop, and can just run Flame Charge and Aerial Ace. If Phero is Scarfed/Sash, it's a 50/50, otherwise Pheromosa loses to Flame Charge -> Aerial Ace.
    • Xurkitree has to run Hypnosis to beat Silvally. Otherwise it gets OHKO'd by Ground-type Multi-Attack (and can't OHKO back even with Modest Energy Ball).
    • Naganadel can be beaten by Flame Charge -> Ground-type Multi-Attack, similar to how Silvally can beat Pheromosa.
    Nihilego, Buzzwole, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, and Blacephalon all get blown away as well. Yes, you can argue that some of these UB's have a better chance if they didn't invest everything into Speed, but I hope this shows that Silvally is more than capable of holding its own.There is no single Silvally set that can beat all of the UB's, but it is more than capable of winning a 1v1 with any UB.

Also, "as established before" twice in a row is bad.

I'm not making the argument that Silvally is completely bad in general; just not as great of a Legendary that The Aether Foundation hypes it up to be. But I do have to admit that you've laid out quite some scenarios that make it look much better than once though. Whether it's me being biased, me lacking internet whenever I please, or me just not being as competitive as others is the culprit is up in the air; I'm sure it's likely a combo of three. XDDDDD

Going into this thing, I kinda saw that it would look like a wall, because it ended up being longer than I thought it would. But I feel that was a tad justified; I wanted to include everything I could to keep from being accused of cherry-picking. It seems quite long, yes, but I figured it'd be better than just saying "It's not as good as other Legendary Pokémon, and now it's time to move on to the next point" and just leave it at that. XD;;;

The article will obviously need to be edited to include these scenarios, but I do feel that my argument can still be applied to them still, just not quite the same as before. Thank you for bringing these scenarios into light. Now Silvally really does sound like a much better Pokémon; just not better enough, If I may bite. XD

As for that last part: my bad. XDDD; But that's why you have other people read your junk before it's approved. XD

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm not making the argument that Silvally is completely bad in general; just not as great of a Legendary that The Aether Foundation hypes it up to be. But I do have to admit that you've laid out quite some scenarios that make it look much better than once though. Whether it's me being biased, me lacking internet whenever I please, or me just not being as competitive as others is the culprit is up in the air; I'm sure it's likely a combo of three. XDDDDD

Going into this thing, I kinda saw that it would look like a wall, because it ended up being longer than I thought it would. But I feel that was a tad justified; I wanted to include everything I could to keep from being accused of cherry-picking. It seems quite long, yes, but I figured it'd be better than just saying "It's not as good as other Legendary Pokémon, and now it's time to move on to the next point" and just leave it at that. XD;;;

The article will obviously need to be edited to include these scenarios, but I do feel that my argument can still be applied to them still, just not quite the same as before. Thank you for bringing these scenarios into light. Now Silvally really does sound like a much better Pokémon; just not better enough, If I may bite. XD

As for that last part: my bad. XDDD; But that's why you have other people read your junk before it's approved. XD

I think you can kind of go with a narrative of "the Aether Foundation believes it to be Legendary because it can be modified to deal with any Ultra Beast". In-game the Ultra Beasts hold no items, so modifying Silvally to have the correct type and moves ensures that it can beat any Ultra Beast. It might be a stretch in a way since one can say "hurr durr why don't they just train to lv100", but I think the argument makes sense.

Also I just noticed that I have a typo in my original post.

User19sq

Paragraph 5 Sentence 6 onward:

Spoiler:

Paragraph 6:

Spoiler:

User19sq

Final Sentence:
    Spoiler:

Back