• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Silver and Paul - Are they the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop Messing Up My Files Porygon-Z!

The shadow of Mismagius
Years
  • I think that maybe Paul was created as the anime equivalent of Silver. Paul is like Silver in most of his ways. And anime characters don't have to look exactly like their game counterparts, like Ash, who never looked exactly like Red. Or maybe he's related to Silver from The Search for the Legend. See the similarities? Also, it is very likely that there will be a Johto remake, and maybe Paul was created to showcase this.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • i wonder if they are cousins?
    i just realized! silver hates team rocket, yet giovanni is his father and paul seems to dislike/hate team galactic, so maybe he's cyrus son! maybe cyrus and giovanni are related, you never know...
    if they are related, maybe they both got sneasels for thier birthday, and maybe silver will show up in the anime, like gold and crystal did! (Pokemon Chronicles)

~Aurα
    LOL, that's a great hypothesis...

I think that maybe Paul was created as the anime equivalent of Silver. Paul is like Silver in most of his ways. And anime characters don't have to look exactly like their game counterparts, like Ash, who never looked exactly like Red. Or maybe he's related to Silver from The Search for the Legend. See the similarities? Also, it is very likely that there will be a Johto remake, and maybe Paul was created to showcase this.
    Yes, maybe...I guess the only way to know is to ask Nintendo?
    But you made a great comment btw

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
  • No. As RyuKun said, Paul is just based off Silver, in appearance and personality.

Here are some entries taken from Bulbapedia, noting their similarities

Paul seems to be based on Silver, in appearance and personality. He also has most of the Pokémon as Silver's manga counterpart.
    Several similarities have been noted between Paul and a game rival, Silver. Their personalities are especially similar. Another interesting similarity is that the pose used in Paul's stock art is the same as the pose in a picture of Silver drawn by Ken Sugimori, right down to the angle and position of the hands and feet. Paul has similar taste in Pokémon to the Silver portrayed in Pokémon Special. Both have an Ursaring. Both have also owned a Murkrow at one point, and assuming Paul caught his Weavile as a Sneasel, both have owned a Sneasel at one point.
    Also, Paul shares two Pokémon with the Team Galactic Boss, Cyrus: Honchkrow and Weavile.
    Silver can be considered similar to Paul of the anime, considering they have similar personalities (in the beginning for Silver) where they both seem to only care about the strength of their Pokémon. They also have similar Pokémon, Murkrow (Paul's evolved into Honchkrow), Sneasel (which Paul likely evolved his Weavile from) and Ursaring. As well, they both talk similarly when talking to their rivals, Gold and Ash Ketchum.

Years
  • Wasn't PAUL one of the default names for your rival in G/S/C?
    I don't know. I know that /my/ rival was named PAUL.
    Your rival in G/S/C didnt have default names, you named him yourself. It may have ben for your character, but...

But to answer the question, they arent the same. Paul is just a butthole, and once Silver is defeated by Lance he starts to see things differently. And I think Silver has a past we dont know about...

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    Wrong. Last I checked anyway. If you have any way to prove this, then please, for my sake, do. But as far as I know, that was just a speculated rumor, and never really proven.

In firered after you defeat Giovanni and go to the islands a Rocket member tells you that he is.

Years
  • In firered after you defeat Giovanni and go to the islands a Rocket member tells you that he is.
    He doesn't necessarily tell you he is. But, he gives a huge obvious hint. xD

I think he says, "Are you Giovanni's kid? No, Giovanni's kid has red hair."
    Or something along the lines of that...

Silver's the only redhead in Pokemon, right?

Years
  • In firered after you defeat Giovanni and go to the islands a Rocket member tells you that he is.
    Which Island and which time? You fight Giovanni 3 times, and I went to One, Two, and Three Island, and nothing like that ever happened.

He doesn't necessarily tell you he is. But, he gives a huge obvious hint. xD

I think he says, "Are you Giovanni's kid? No, Giovanni's kid has red hair."
    Or something along the lines of that...

Silver's the only redhead in Pokemon, right?
    Well, it could be someone else...so it could be. The world may never know...xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Well Lance from the Kanto Elite Four and Mars from Team Galatic also have red hair, but they are not kids. Giovanni though they could be his illegitimate children and came about when he was a teenager though and their eyes are similar to Giovanni's as well. Even though Silver's Pokemon Special Manga counterpart is confirmed to be Giovanni's son that does not mean it is true in the video games. I am not against this speculation though because it kind of make sense when you think about it. Many people also believe that Red and his cross-canon counterparts could be Giovanni's sons, but they do not even have red hair just like Leaf and her cross-canon counterparts do not have red hair either and no one from Team Rocket seems to recognize them as such not even Giovanni even though it is possible for Giovanni. The only way for this theory to be true if is Giovanni slept with many women and do not know who how many children he actually has.

I do not think that Silver and Paul are the same person because Silver anime counterpart appeared briefly in the Japanese version of the 'Legend of Thurder' movie. Though Paul personality might be based off of Silver's though.

Last edited:

Gelly

Don't eat me!
    Years
  • They aren't the same, they have some similar pokémon, but they aren't, because there is the "red hair trainer", he is the Silver.

*~Frost Umbreon~*

TURN OFF YOUR ORPHANS.
    Years
  • Silver really acts like Paul, he's annoying to beat the second time you fight him (in Azalea Town, I think), but Silver never even released any of his Pokemon, while Paul released his Chimchar. I'm against the fact that he's Paul.

EDIT: Wait, Paul has a Weavile and Silver has a Sneasel (that he stole), so maybe they're the same?

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Hm.

*Isn't it made pretty clear in HeartGold/SoulSilver (the Celebi event) about Silver and Giovanni?*

If you ask me, Paul is BASED on Silver, made as a hint for the anime remakes of the GS, together with the information (Hints) all mentioned above.
    Some of the differences to me:

Silver is really bad, then turns good.
    - Paul is a little bad all the time.

The hair colour and length.

Silver has a nicer personality than Paul.

Silver is more handsome than Paul.

Silver is tactical, Paul is kind of stupid (just my opinion).

Just like many other things in the anime, Paul is hardly original, and should just be considered a filler character (this is just me thinking, I don't want to be spammed by lots of angry comments, God help me).

Yeah. That kinda covers it.

Again, my thoughts. You have your thoughts, I don't give dirt for what you think of my fav characters, so do the same and don't get mad, please.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • First, oh Jesus no they are not the same. That's coming from Silver's super duper awesome lover. :D But the real reason why I'm here is to say not to bump threads over a month old, and this one's over a year. :|

And to lock it. Duh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back