• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    What the Soothe Bell actually does is double the Happiness points that a Poke earns. If you look back a page or two (either in this thread or the FRLG Simple Questions thread), you will find my post that go in-depth with the Happiness concept. Walking around with the Soothe Bell is the SLOWEST thing you can do to increase Happiness. It takes 256 steps to increase Happiness ONE point (2 points with SB). If you have Emerald, the fastest way to increase Happiness is to feed your Poke one of the EV berries (#21-26). Each one decreases the EVs in a particular stat by 10 points, but also increases Happiness (allegedly by 10 points, but I haven't confirmed that yet). So, feeding your Poke ONE berry, would require you to walk 2560 steps to get the same result.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't know what happened to my last post, but I will post again.

I was wrong to say that the Soothe Bell will double Happiness points. It actually increases the rate by 1.5. That means when you walk 256 steps, you get 1.5 points instead of 1, or if you feed it a vitamin, you get 7.5 points instead of 5.

To answer your last question, the Soothe Bell works on ALL methods of Happiness increasing, not just walking.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2007
    Very new here so i'm apologizing ahead of time...

I've spent several hours searching these forums mainly and have had several questions answered, and yet still have a few. (i have emerald)

1. How exactly does the pickup ability work, and does the TM thief work the same?

2. Is there no full-proof way to get pokeblocks with maximum beauty? (trying to get this feebas to evolve) I've yet to even make a pokeblock for fear of wasting a needed berry.

3. I have a blue pokemon game from about 8 years ago. Can I trade my pokemon from it to my emerald game? (oh dear god plz say yes cause I've got some sweet pokes)

4. How do you breed two pokemon and how do you get the egg to hatch?
    (i've still got the egg from early on in the game)

I've got more questions but if you can answer these I'll have a good week or so to figure them out while I use the heck out of you help. Thank you .

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    1. Pickup has a chance of getting a random item after a battle
    2. Keep experimenting. And Just plant more berries if youre running short
    3. No.
    4. You have to leave two compatible in the daycare center for a bit, depending on how much they like eachother. To hatch an egg, just keep walking/running around for a while.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    1. Thief has nothing to do with Pickup. What thief does is if your Poke doesn't KO the opposing Poke, it will usually steal a held item if the opposing Poke was holding one. Keep in mind that your Poke must not be holding an item for that to happen.

2. In Emerald, only blend berries with the Master Blender and get Gold berries. I do that and have never had an issue evolving all my many Feebas.

3. Already covered above.

4. Go to the Breeding section. I believe there is a post of mine that breaks down all the Egg groups and the Pokes that are in each group. If not, PM me and I can give it to you.

Keep those questions coming. That is how you become a better trainer.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2007
    Thank you both for the help!

1. On the pickup attribute...does it work like exp (he just has to appear in the battle) or does he actually have to fight and defeat the pokemon?
    And with thief...are the hold items the same as what you might get from a pickup?

2. Where is the "Master Blender"? How do you know if the berries are gold? All the attributes on the berry tag are -spicy,dry,sweet,bitter, and sour-
    Are all berries able to be pokebloked? Some look to be hold items, some for blocks, and some make your poke friendly?

3. New question: How exactly does the time work in the game? Is it real time? If so do we not have some kind of wristwatch? Time is confusing.

4. Is there a list somewhere of all the "strange, random people" that do things for you IE: the favor lady, the lady in the market that gives the effort ribbon...peeps like that? And what they do?

5. The acrobike...I'm having trouble using it on the white bars...like in the safari zone and whatnot. What's the trick? I'm hopping all around but can't turn on those white bars.

Thank you again for your help Shane and Latias!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Answers in bold:
    Thank you both for the help!

1. On the pickup attribute...does it work like exp (he just has to appear in the battle) or does he actually have to fight and defeat the pokemon?
    And with thief...are the hold items the same as what you might get from a pickup?

No. Pickup works even if the Poke that has it isn't even involved in the battle. As long as you have a Poke on your team with that Ability, after a few battles there is a chance that it will be holding an item. Thief items are typically different than Pickup items. Thief takes a held item from a Pokemon like Leftovers, Choice Band, Shell Bell, berries, etc. Pickup items are usually Poke Balls, Rare Candy, TMs, Potions, etc.

2. Where is the "Master Blender"? How do you know if the berries are gold? All the attributes on the berry tag are -spicy,dry,sweet,bitter, and sour-
    Are all berries able to be pokebloked? Some look to be hold items, some for blocks, and some make your poke friendly?

The Master Blender can only be found in the Emerald version at Lilycove in the Contest Hall. When you blend berries with him, he will ALWAYS have a perfect hit. The level and feel of your PokeBlocks will be higher. No matter what the alternative purpose of the berries, each one can be used to create PokeBlocks.

3. New question: How exactly does the time work in the game? Is it real time? If so do we not have some kind of wristwatch? Time is confusing.

Time is kept during the game in order for the berries to grow and to evolve Espeon and Umbreon. It doesn't have as much as impact as GSC did, or that DP will have. There is no wristwatch, but at the Space Center in Mossdeep there is a scientist that tells you how many launches they have had. That indicates how many weeks you have been playing the current game.

4. Is there a list somewhere of all the "strange, random people" that do things for you IE: the favor lady, the lady in the market that gives the effort ribbon...peeps like that? And what they do?

There are no random people like in GSC. There are people that will battle you again (4 times), people that give you berries, and in Emerald there is a reporter that moves to three locations and will battle you.

5. The acrobike...I'm having trouble using it on the white bars...like in the safari zone and whatnot. What's the trick? I'm hopping all around but can't turn on those white bars.

You have to press the B button and then push in the direction of the white bar. It takes some practice, but you will get it.

Thank you again for your help Shane and Latias!
    No problem. Keep them coming.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2008
    Mysticn ticket

I really want a Mysticn ticket for lugia. Where's Mysticn ticket? I tried look for it in eBay and any internet. And nothing! I have Lugia and Ho-Oh in Silver and Crystal versions, I don't have them in FireRed and Emerald versions for long time.

Kids, don't throw that useful ticket away, please.

Black_Wind

Old champ, new gen
    Years
    The ticket was a give away, like mew in the old days.........but you got a ticket and had to go by boat (in the game) and catch the pokemon.
    I got one hpw do i get the Volt tackle and the light ball for Pikachu R/S/E

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You can only get Volt Tackle in Emerald. You breed Pikachu/Raichu holding the Light Ball with another Pikachu/Raichu (or pimpmaster Ditto).

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    To answer the first part of Black_Wind's question: a wild Pikachu carrying an item has a 5% chance of the item being a Light Ball. This isn't quite as easy as your average pickup scenario, however, as 95% of the rather few times that a wild Pikachu is carrying anything (Which is 5% of the Pikachu encounters, 25 with Compoundeyes) it carries an Oran Berry, so yeah...if you want to get a Light Ball you'll have to take Nincada or Butterfree as a lead for the Compoundeyes bonus and spend a heck of a lot of time hunting Pikachus in the Safari Zone, and when I say you need a lot of Pikachu's I mean that you'll end up catching them in hundreds unless you get lucky. Light balls are a right pain in the behind to get. =_=

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 1, 2007
    If you hatch a pokemon from an egg,and ur going for s hiny hatch,does it show up on the screen the egg hatches on,or do u check ur inv after u hit yes or no on the nickname?

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Do you mean how to tell if you hatched a shiny?
    Well if so, after it pops out of the egg, if it looks oddly colored, then its a shiny.
    What shiny pokemon are you hunting for?

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    If you hatch a pokemon from an egg,and ur going for s hiny hatch,does it show up on the screen the egg hatches on,or do u check ur inv after u hit yes or no on the nickname?

Also, when you look at it, a circle of stars should appear and you will hear a noise like *Shing*, shiny metal kind of noise.

Katakoe

Blah!
    Years
    pokemon that know dig natural.

i sold my tm dig, but now i'm up to catching the regi's. hence i need it, anyon know a solution?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Diglett (Lv17)
    Nincada (Lv45)
    Trapinch (Lv41)

edit: My main man Hunk was quicker on the draw.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back