• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Is there any real significance to Altering Cave besides having Zubats out the wazoo?

I go in there to EV train for Speed... but it's never altered yet. haha

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Answers in bold:
    Hi again! Sorry i'm back so soon. Hopefully one day soon I'll actually stop asking questions and maybe try to help someone else out.

1. The difference between SP. Attack and Attack. Does 'Attack' ONLY apply to moves that are Normal? whereas SP. Attack applies to psychic, flying, rock, etc.?

Already covered.

2. The move 'Hyper Cutter' out of battle supposedly lets you cut a bigger area of grass. In what case would this be useful? Are there certain areas that 'hyper cutter' is needed to get to? Is it referring to trees that u put your secret bases into? confusing

The only use this has is if you DON'T want to battle wild Poke in the grass. You use Hyper Cutter to remove the grass, and therefore wild Poke encounters. Fear not though, once you leave the route, the grass grows back.

3. When trading between two games, other than friendship being reset to 70, what other stat changes take place? Any held items that can help/hurt during a trade?

None and no.

4. Breeding to get better IV's for your pokes. How do you determine how much better your IV's are once they hatch? Are you just comparing At/Df/spAt/spDf/Sp stats or is there something deeper here?

Something VERY deeper. What you need are 15 Rare Candies and an IV Calculator (you can find one at a number of Poke sites). This is what I do. When I am breeding, I save the game right before I take the egg from the Daycare Dude. Then I take the egg and check for gender/nature/trait. If it isn't what I want, I reset and then don't take the egg and wait for another one. If it is, I will then proceed to hatch it. Once hatched, I record its stats, feed it 15 Rare Candies and then check its new stats against the IV calculator to see the ballpark IVs. I have found that Lv20 is an effective level to check for IVs. I typically will ballpark within 5, with it being the higher stat most of the time. I do this to find out the Lv5 stats that will typically end up with the best stats. I then proceed to continue to reset until my target stats end up in that range. Once they are, I will save and continue to to get more babies that meet my criteria. Once I have a team of "super babies", I will then feed them 45 RCs and check their stats again, to see which of them have the best IVs. It can be a little time consuming, but definitely worth it.

5. I've purchased a used Leaf Green game from EB games. It has several kewl pokes on it already as well as a masterball, and several other nice trinkets. I'm concerned about messing up my current game if I trade these Items and Pokes to my Emerald. If whoever owned it before me cheated could this corrupt my game?

If the "kewl" Pokes were cheated, then it is risky. I bought a used Ruby Cart that had a Celebi that I am pretty sure was cheated (it doesn't have the typical Nintendo trainerID on it), traded it to my Emerald, hard reset Ruby, and I haven't experienced a problem yet. Of course I gave that Celebi to my son, but he hasn't had any issues either.

Bottom line - it is a risk that you need to determine if it is worth risking. For me it was an EXTREMELY rare Legi, so it was worth it. If they are just regular Pokes and a lone MB, I wouldn't. The more you move over the more you risk corruption.

Thank you again for your help!
    No problem.
    I have a question. Is Swellow worth using in the game? I've seen several movesets pertaining to Sweellow around the site, so I figured that somebody thinks that it's pretty good.

While most Pokes can be used in-game, Swellow is among a handful of really good Pokes. Between its high Atk and Spd, and its Guts Trait, it is a very effective sweeper, especially if it gets statused.

Is there any real significance to Altering Cave besides having Zubats out the wazoo?

I go in there to EV train for Speed... but it's never altered yet. haha
    There was supposed to be, but the programmers never finished it. It was supposed to be full of rare Johto Pokes that would appear when you used the Mystery Gift. Every time you did it, the Pokes in the cave would change. Great idea, poor execution. So alas, it is now Zubat Cave.

Last edited:

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
    i have 3 questions for sapphire or emerald (maybe both? who knows?)

1. how do you get deoxys in either of the games? i know that u find it on birth island, but i dont know where it is.

2. where can i find a larvitar (plz, plz, PLZ dont say its only on ruby)

3. when does shelgon evolve into salamence?????? ive heard its at lvl 50, but thats LUDICROUS!!! no pokemon evolves at lvl 50, can it?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Answers in bold:
    i have 3 questions for sapphire or emerald (maybe both? who knows?)

1. how do you get deoxys in either of the games? i know that u find it on birth island, but i dont know where it is.

You cannot get Deoxys in the game. The only way to get it (outside of visiting the Nintendo store or finding someone who has an extra), is to cheat and no one likes a cheater.

2. where can i find a larvitar (plz, plz, PLZ dont say its only on ruby)

Okay, I won't say its only on Ruby because that isn't true. It is only on FireRed or LeafGreen. You cannot get Larvitar in RSE.

3. when does shelgon evolve into salamence?????? ive heard its at lvl 50, but thats LUDICROUS!!! no pokemon evolves at lvl 50, can it?
    Yep. It doesn't evolve until Lv50. Don't forget that Dragonite doesn't evolve until Lv55. Dragons are old.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2007
    Getting VERY close to becoming a Pokemon Master!! (just meaning i'll stop asking so many questions and start contributing answers)

1. What are the exact requirements to get the Johto starter in Emerald. I know this has been brought up, but I was under the impression you just need 200 pokemon caught. What are the specific pokes you need to get the Johtos?

2. Is Pokerus not "contagious" in FR/LG...or in R/S?

3. What effect, if any, does running away have? it doesn't affect EV values does it?

3a. If running away doesn't affect your EV value training, I thought I might mention that I've found a few spots that work out better than the ones most people seem to suggest here. IMO If i'm wrong I WANT to know!
    1. The power plant is an Awesome place to EV up SPEED & SP. ATTACK---------------FR/LG
    SPEED
    Pikachu +1
    Voldtorb +1
    Electrode +2
    Electabuzz +2

SP. ATTACK
    Magnemite +1
    Magneton +2

2. HP EV training. Marill on route 117 (maybe the lake behind the Familys'
    House) give +2------------------Emerald

3. On route 114 you've got a nice bit of variety!----------------Emerald
    Nuzleaf +2 atk.
    Seviper sp. atk. +1 & atk. +1
    Lotad, Lombre, & Swablu all have +1 sp. def.

4. Route 120 is nice too.-----------------------Emerald
    ATTACK
    Poochyena +1
    Mightyena +2
    Absol +2
    /w Seedot giving you a +1 def.

Assuming you've got Pokerus and and several Exp. Shares...you can EV up a whole team quickly. Or so i'm assuming...I'm going to try and prove it right now!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Answers in bold:
    Getting VERY close to becoming a Pokemon Master!! (just meaning i'll stop asking so many questions and start contributing answers)

1. What are the exact requirements to get the Johto starter in Emerald. I know this has been brought up, but I was under the impression you just need 200 pokemon caught. What are the specific pokes you need to get the Johtos?

All Hoenn Pokes EXCEPT Jirachi and Deoxys. Once you have them, visit my less experienced colleague Prof. Birch.

2. Is Pokerus not "contagious" in FR/LG...or in R/S?

Pokerus is only contagious for a certain amount. Since I haven't been blessed with it yet, I cannot confirm it. I have heard from 24 hours to 3 days. BTW - if you have Pokerus then you suck. I have been playing this game for 10 years now and am still waiting.

3. What effect, if any, does running away have? it doesn't affect EV values does it?

Running away has ZERO affect on EV values.

3a. If running away doesn't affect your EV value training, I thought I might mention that I've found a few spots that work out better than the ones most people seem to suggest here. IMO If i'm wrong I WANT to know!

The point of EV training is to be able to train in the quickest way possible. Having to run away from a battle takes away from that. For your first example, if you are EV training for Spd AND SAtk at the same time, that is the perfect place. If you are only training for one or the other, you are going to waste too much time running from one half of the battles (FR has Spd to SATk ratio of 60:40 while LG has 55:45) to make it an effective spot. Pokemon Tower 7F is more effective for SAtk and Diglett's Cave is for Spd. Not bad at all though. I do need to quickly train my weak Raichu and Butterfree.

1. The power plant is an Awesome place to EV up SPEED & SP. ATTACK---------------FR/LG
    SPEED
    Pikachu +1
    Voldtorb +1
    Electrode +2
    Electabuzz +2

SP. ATTACK
    Magnemite +1
    Magneton +2

2. HP EV training. Marill on route 117 (maybe the lake behind the Familys'
    House) give +2------------------Emerald

Marill is standard for HP EVs. I just go to Petalburg City since Fly takes you almost right there without having to travel on a route. Again, speed is the name of the game.

3. On route 114 you've got a nice bit of variety!----------------Emerald
    Nuzleaf +2 atk.
    Seviper sp. atk. +1 & atk. +1
    Lotad, Lombre, & Swablu all have +1 sp. def.

Another standard SDef EV location, but not preferable for Atk. There is a 90:10 ratio between SDef and Atk. Bad odds. You are better off fishing with the Super Rod on Route 118 where you get Carvahna and Sharpedo ONLY.

4. Route 120 is nice too.-----------------------Emerald
    ATTACK
    Poochyena +1
    Mightyena +2
    Absol +2
    /w Seedot giving you a +1 def.

You are also forgetting that Marril is there, along with Oddish and Kecleon. You run into Atk EV Pokes only 58% of the time.

Assuming you've got Pokerus and and several Exp. Shares...you can EV up a whole team quickly. Or so i'm assuming...I'm going to try and prove it right now!!
    For the fastest EV training, if you have two carts and two GBAs, you can keep adding Secret Base locations full of Pokes that give you 3 EV points in a stat that you can battle every day. It takes time to set up, but it is incredibly effective once you do. I can EV train in a matter of minutes. Keep it up!

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I was reading up on breeding... and is there any way to sort of help out the odds of the egg hatching with a desired nature?

I once read that if you let the Poke with the nature you want hold an Everstone, then the baby will have a 50% chance of having that specific nature. Never confirmed it, though.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I have. Only the female of the species or a Ditto can hold the Eversone though. What I have done is I caught a Ditto of each nature, and named them that nature for easy reference. I now have a PC box full of the different natured Dittos that I use to breed to get that particular nature. Once I get a female version of the species (if applicable), then I substitute it in place of the shape-shifting surrogate and I place the little nympho back in its box. I have even caught multiple Dittos of each nature and worked on getting those with the best IVs. Still have a long way to go for that though.

BTW - It is 50% and only works in Emerald.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I have. Only the female of the species or a Ditto can hold the Eversone though. What I have done is I caught a Ditto of each nature, and named them that nature for easy reference. I now have a PC box full of the different natured Dittos that I use to breed to get that particular nature. Once I get a female version of the species (if applicable), then I substitute it in place of the shape-shifting surrogate and I place the little nympho back in its box. I have even caught multiple Dittos of each nature and worked on getting those with the best IVs. Still have a long way to go for that though.

BTW - It is 50% and only works in Emerald.

So it does work! There's lots of different tricks in the game that I didn't believe until I tried 'em... like the flame body/magma armor (aka, Slugma) being in your party along with an egg, and the Slugma reduces the amount of steps required to hatch the egg in half.

But your method here wasn't quite clear to me... so you take a Ditto with, say, an Impish nature and breed with a male Skarmory until you get a female Skarmory that's Impish, and then you replace the Ditto with that female Skarmory? If so, I tought you couldn't breed a parent with a child.

Sorry, perhaps your wording confused me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2007
    Answers in bold:

For the fastest EV training, if you have two carts and two GBAs, you can keep adding Secret Base locations full of Pokes that give you 3 EV points in a stat that you can battle every day. It takes time to set up, but it is incredibly effective once you do. I can EV train in a matter of minutes. Keep it up!

Is there a link on how to do this? That sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm absolutely retarded when it comes to the secret bases. A mini walkthrough if you will. :D

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    So it does work! There's lots of different tricks in the game that I didn't believe until I tried 'em... like the flame body/magma armor (aka, Slugma) being in your party along with an egg, and the Slugma reduces the amount of steps required to hatch the egg in half.

But your method here wasn't quite clear to me... so you take a Ditto with, say, an Impish nature and breed with a male Skarmory until you get a female Skarmory that's Impish, and then you replace the Ditto with that female Skarmory? If so, I tought you couldn't breed a parent with a child.

Sorry, perhaps your wording confused me.
    The parent/child penalty was from GSC. That has been removed in RSE/FRLG. Emerald rules when it comes to fast breeding.

Is there a link on how to do this? That sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm absolutely retarded when it comes to the secret bases. A mini walkthrough if you will. :D
    No real link. I guess I could write up a guide about it. It's simple really, whenever you mix records with another cart, their SB location is added to your cart and you can visit that location once a day and battle the Pokes that cart had at the time of the mix. So what I do is I have a team of 6 Pokes in each of the 6 stats. I trade them over to my Ruby cart and then mix records. Now the SB location of that cart shows up on my Emerald and it has those six Pokes in it. Then I reset the Ruby cart and again quickly play until I can set up another SB, and then repeat the process. Here are the Pokes that I used. I use them because they are the easiest to acquire.

HP - Clefable
    Atk - Shiftry
    Def - Golem
    SAtk - Beautifly
    SDef - Dustox
    Spd - Raichu

Each of these Pokes give out 3 EV points in their respective stats. That means when I battle a group of six in an SB, I will 18 EV points. If I use the Macho Brace, I get 36 EV points. If I ever get blessed with Pokerus, I will get 72 EV points. That is in ONE trainer battle. It doesn't get much better than that.

There's a good article on it here (it's how to create the "perfect Pokemon"):

https://www.serebii.net/games/quick.shtml

Man I love that site. :-)
    I would strongly caution you to rely on that site too much. There is A LOT of vague/wrong information there, especially when it comes to movesets. Sometimes I believe they get write-ups from people and they don't bother to verify it. Not to be rude, but just my opinion. One thing I have found is that whenever you hear about something you ALWAYS test is for yourself. That is why I don't say much about how long Pokerus lasts or if the EV trick in the DC works. I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, just my two pennies.

AC drain

Lak Rabbit
    Years
    Ah, brings back memories. I was breeding Salamence and two of the offspring had great stats, so naturally I was pissed off knowing I could not breed them together. For whatever reason I did it anyway, and they made an egg XD Yep, the advance generation is full of inbred pokes who are their own sisters and fathers and cousins.

Years
    I would strongly caution you to rely on that site too much. There is A LOT of vague/wrong information there, especially when it comes to movesets. Sometimes I believe they get write-ups from people and they don't bother to verify it. Not to be rude, but just my opinion. One thing I have found is that whenever you hear about something you ALWAYS test is for yourself. That is why I don't say much about how long Pokerus lasts or if the EV trick in the DC works. I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, just my two pennies.

Shane, just their movesets suck, trying to learn things like D/P info is where they score.
    They are basicly our main source for D/P

Years
    noone dare laugh at what i'm about to ask as it has been nearly a year since i last did the Magma Hideout. Only there is just a slight little problem.

I can't find their hideout. Can somebody tell me where it is? I have the emblem.

Now you may laugh your guts out. Get it Guts/Swellow.

Ahh it's a louzy joke. LOL!

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    noone dare laugh at what i'm about to ask as it has been nearly a year since i last did the Magma Hideout. Only there is just a slight little problem.

I can't find their hideout. Can somebody tell me where it is? I have the emblem.

Now you may laugh your guts out. Get it Guts/Swellow.

Ahh it's a louzy joke. LOL!

Go to the volcano where you first battled Maxie... then go due South, and keep going straight down. Eventually on one of the ledges there will be an earthquake, and an entrance will open. Voila, Magma Hideout!

I also have a question... I've been reading about a weird berry called the "Enigma Berry". What exactly is it, and can it be obtained outside of a gameshark/action replay?

TheFrozen

The frozen feelings...
    Years
    I got a question. If you by any mean catch a shiny nincada, how can you get a shiny shedinja? o.o;;

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    GI also have a question... I've been reading about a weird berry called the "Enigma Berry". What exactly is it, and can it be obtained outside of a gameshark/action replay?
    The Enigma Berry was to be used with the failed eReader idea that would allow to acquire other rare berries (Pumpkin, Drash, Eggant, Strib, etc.) by doing the also failed "Pokemon Battle e".

I got a question. If you by any mean catch a shiny nincada, how can you get a shiny shedinja? o.o;;
    I know that evolving a shiny Nincada will yield a shiny Ninjask, but I am not sure about a shiny Shedinja. It would stand to reason that it should, but you never know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back