• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Dragon Princess said:
    Oh darn...can anyone here help me please? My friend said that after we beat the league for the first time, Lorelei will go to four island...but how about my case...? After I beat the league for the first time, she didn't go to four island...so I beat 'em again and again and again (I know I've beat em before...when we entered the league for the first time, Lance will say 'I've heard about you, Fire' but if we've beat em before he'll say 'So u've returned, Fire!') and now I'm starting to wonder...is there any item I haven't found? T_T Or...is that because of my team's level is low? Here's my team members:
    Charizard L68
    Dewgong L64
    Pikachu L64
    Lapras L 62
    Zapdos L58
    Pidgeot L56

Please help me anyone...I can't go anywhere now!>.<, thanks a lot b4
    She doesn't leave until you get the National Pokedex from Prof. Oak. You can continue to battle the E4 as many times as you want before then, which is what I did since that is the easiest way to level up your Pokes to match the level increases the E4 go through when she returns.

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    T_T Please help me anyone!!!

I played Fire Red and have beaten the league...but my friend said that after we've beaten the league for the first time, Lorelei will go to four island...but how about my case? She stayed there! ><' I thought there was an error and the game didn't record my debut, so I challenged them once again. But...I knew I've beaten em b4! If u haven't beaten em b4, Lance will say 'I've heard bout u, Fire' but after u've beaten em b4, he'll say 'So u've returned, Fire!'

Gosh...I can't go anywhere now! Is that because I haven't found HM07? But my friend said that we'll get HM07, waterfall, in one of four, five, six, or seven island...or is that because my Pokemon's levels aren't enough? I've read that after meet Lorelei, the league level will increase til about lvl 62-75...but my Pokemon aren't that strong...here they are:
    Charizard L68
    Dewgong L64
    Pikachu L64
    Lapras L62
    Zapdos L58
    Pidgeot L56

Please help me anyone! I can't continue my game! Thanks b4

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Ummm, I just answered your previous post above this one.

BTW - HM07 is found in the Icefall Cave on Four Island.

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    She doesn't leave until you get the National Pokedex from Prof. Oak. You can continue to battle the E4 as many times as you want before then, which is what I did since that is the easiest way to level up your Pokes to match the level increases the E4 go through when she returns.

Well, what must I do to get a national Pokedex? *sigh* Must I catch all of Pokemon I've seen? But isn't there any Pokemon that we can't have like rival's starter and Agatha's Gengar? I heard that u must get Haunter from a trade in order to get a Gengar...

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

You can delete your first post using the edit button so that you won't double post. *sigh* New people really need to read the rules more.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Dragon Princess said:
    Well, what must I do to get a national Pokedex? *sigh* Must I catch all of Pokemon I've seen? But isn't there any Pokemon that we can't have like rival's starter and Agatha's Gengar? I heard that u must get Haunter from a trade in order to get a Gengar...

Have at least 60 Pokemon caught and listed in your Pokedex (NOT SEEN, CAUGHT) then go to Professor Oak. He gives you the National Pokedex. Then, assuming that you already helped Bill back at Cinnabar Island, you'll receive a Rainbow Pass to travel to Four Island.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Dragon Princess said:
    If you look up this very page towards the top, you will see that your exact question was asked and answered. Once you have 60 different species in your Pokedex (check your Pokedex and count up all the Poke Balls next the Pokes and make sure there are 60), and then go visit Prof. Oak. He will give you a big kiss and then give you the National Pokedex.

Now, at this point Lorelei will leave the E4 for Four Island. You cannot go directly there though. First you have to go to Cinnabar Island, find Bill, and answer yes to his question. He will wisk you away to the Sevii Islands, specifically One Island. Make sure you have Poke(s) (preferably HM slaves) that know Surf, Cut, and Strength first. You can consult the Walkthrough to continue on. Basically after you clear the first three islands, you can go to Four Island and find Lorelei fighting the TR losers in the Icefall Cave. Help her out and she returns to the E4.

As for Gengar, you have it backwards. You have to trade Haunter to another cart in order for it to evolve into Gengar. You probably meant that, but this is a just in case. You do the same with Kadabra (Alakazam), Graveler (Golem), and Machoke (Machamp).

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Ok im pretty sure you can, but my friend is wonderin... in FRLG is it possible to catch all the johto pokemon, well counting trading pokemon between FRLG, or must we have to tradfe them over from G/S/C. Also, what is the BEST moveset for Dragonite, Nidoking, Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard and Arcanine? Also, does arcanine leanr anything else beside xtremespeed (lv.49)?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

You can't trade GBC games to GBA games. You also need Emerald because Pokemon like Miltank and Teddiursa can't be found in FR/LG.

Also, your last question should be posted in the Movesets forum, but I can answer that here:

Dragonite
    -Focus Punch
    -Substitute
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt

Nidoking
    -Megahorn
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Venusaur
    -Razor Leaf/Sludge Bomb
    -Synthesis
    -Leech Seed
    -Sleep Powder

Blastoise
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic
    -Rest

Charizard
    -Swords Dance/Belly Drum
    -Aerial Ace
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide
    -Fire Blast

Arcanine
    -Extremespeed
    -Fire Blast/Overheat
    -Howl
    -Iron Tail

No, Arcanine doesn't learn any other moves after evolving.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    kewl thnx aragorn :D and also.. while im askin questions.. to be relle quick.. is there an easier way to find shinies besides training ur pokemon for hours on-end?

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    Killer-Swift said:
    Ok im pretty sure you can, but my friend is wonderin... in FRLG is it possible to catch all the johto pokemon, well counting trading pokemon between FRLG, or must we have to tradfe them over from G/S/C. Also, what is the BEST moveset for Dragonite, Nidoking, Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard and Arcanine? Also, does arcanine leanr anything else beside xtremespeed (lv.49)?

Mmm...I can tell u the moves for Dragonite and Charizard...but I dun have the other Pokemon so I can't tell u^^

My Dragonite has:
    Fire blast/flame thrower(dragon-type and flying-type are weak against ice so I taught fire type moves)
    Hyper beam
    Outrage
    Extremespeed

My Charizard has:
    Slash
    Flame thrower
    Fire blast
    Blast burn

I'm deciding to teach Return when my Charizard has reached L100...I did the same to my Quilava in Pokemon Crystal.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Killer-Swift said:
    kewl thnx aragorn :D and also.. while im askin questions.. to be relle quick.. is there an easier way to find shinies besides training ur pokemon for hours on-end?
    The only other way to get shinies is to cheat. Don't do it, they aren't worth it. Shinies are WAAAAY over-rated anyways. Pokes of a different color - yippee [/sarcasm]

Dragon Princess said:
    Mmm...I can tell u the moves for Dragonite and Charizard...but I dun have the other Pokemon so I can't tell u^^

My Dragonite has:
    Fire blast/flame thrower(dragon-type and flying-type are weak against ice so I taught fire type moves)
    Hyper beam
    Outrage
    Extremespeed

My Charizard has:
    Slash
    Flame thrower
    Fire blast
    Blast burn

I'm deciding to teach Return when my Charizard has reached L100...I did the same to my Quilava in Pokemon Crystal.
    Just a few tips for you since you ruined your Nite and your Zard. First, two-turn moves like Hyper Beam and Blast Burn SUCK. Avoid them at all costs. A one-turn move that you attack twice with (i.e. Flamethrower) will do more damage than a two-turn move can with one. Next, don't give two attacking moves of the same type (not called Quick Attack/Mach Punch). This is redundant and only limits the effectiveness of your Poke. Next, a Fire move fails against an Ice-type since most Ice-types are also part Water. Go with TB instead. Lastly, do not give Normal moves to Pokes that aren't Normal-type. Please refer to aragonbird's suggestions for Nite and Zard:
    aragornbird said:
    Dragonite
    -Focus Punch
    -Substitute
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt

Charizard
    -Swords Dance/Belly Drum
    -Aerial Ace
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide
    -Fire Blast

sunny99

Sanin of the Darkness Clan
    Years
    these are the attacks i have for my charizard and dragonite:

Charizard
    Flamethrower
    Dragon Claw
    Aerial Ace
    Earthquake

or

Charizard --- mixed sweeper
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Overheat
    Brick Break

--------------------------------------------

and now for my favorite pkmn of all time:

Dragonite
    Aerial Ace
    ThunderBolt
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    The only other way to get shinies is to cheat. Don't do it, they aren't worth it. Shinies are WAAAAY over-rated anyways. Pokes of a different color - yippee [/sarcasm]

Just a few tips for you since you ruined your Nite and your Zard. First, two-turn moves like Hyper Beam and Blast Burn SUCK. Avoid them at all costs. A one-turn move that you attack twice with (i.e. Flamethrower) will do more damage than a two-turn move can with one. Next, don't give two attacking moves of the same type (not called Quick Attack/Mach Punch). This is redundant and only limits the effectiveness of your Poke. Next, a Fire move fails against an Ice-type since most Ice-types are also part Water. Go with TB instead. Lastly, do not give Normal moves to Pokes that aren't Normal-type. Please refer to aragonbird's suggestions for Nite and Zard:

But for me, hyper beam and blast burn is useful. Example: to faint Agatha's Gengar, u need two flamethrower, and of course it means there's a possibility that ur Charizard will be attacked (or maybe fall asleep with hypnosis). But with blast burn, u can make it fainted in just one hit. Then the next turn, switch Pokemon. The same with hyper beam.

I always keep at least one normal-type move each Pokemon. Why? Because if my Quilava's/Charizard's moves are all fire-type, it will be a great disadvantage if the enemy is also fire-type. But I dun like using TMs so I've never taught em moves like Earthquake or anything like that.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    Dragon Princess said:
    But for me, hyper beam and blast burn is useful. Example: to faint Agatha's Gengar, u need two flamethrower, and of course it means there's a possibility that ur Charizard will be attacked (or maybe fall asleep with hypnosis). But with blast burn, u can make it fainted in just one hit. Then the next turn, switch Pokemon. The same with hyper beam.

I always keep at least one normal-type move each Pokemon. Why? Because if my Quilava's/Charizard's moves are all fire-type, it will be a great disadvantage if the enemy is also fire-type. But I dun like using TMs so I've never taught em moves like Earthquake or anything like that.

The problem is, you can't switch and can't move after you use Hyper Beam or the elemental Hyper Beams. That means the next Pokemon that comes out has a free turn to attack you, or put you to sleep just as if you used a less powerful attack.
    Also, like shane said, the less powerful attacks will still do more damage in the long run.

Blast Burn – 150 power + 0 power (recharge) = 150 total
    Flamethrower – 95 power + 95 power = 190 total

As you can see, the latter one will do much more damage in the long run.

Also, TMs are necessary because some of a Pokemon's best moves come from TMs. Without Earthquake, Charizard can't do anything effective to Rock Pokemon. Also, Charizard is weak against Electric moves, and Earthquake helps defeat them more easily than Fire or Normal attacks.

Listen to shane and me and other expert trainers, Dragon Princess. We've had a lot of battling and team building experience.

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    aragornbird said:

The problem is, you can't switch and can't move after you use Hyper Beam or the elemental Hyper Beams. That means the next Pokemon that comes out has a free turn to attack you, or put you to sleep just as if you used a less powerful attack.
    Also, like shane said, the less powerful attacks will still do more damage in the long run.

Blast Burn – 150 power + 0 power (recharge) = 150 total
    Flamethrower – 95 power + 95 power = 190 total

As you can see, the latter one will do much more damage in the long run.

Also, TMs are necessary because some of a Pokemon's best moves come from TMs. Without Earthquake, Charizard can't do anything effective to Rock Pokemon. Also, Charizard is weak against Electric moves, and Earthquake helps defeat them more easily than Fire or Normal attacks.

Listen to shane and me and other expert trainers, Dragon Princess. We've had a lot of battling and team building experience.

Mmm...okay. I'll listen, but I also have my own style. About can't switch Pokemon...is that true?! ('o')? I always use blast burn and hyper beam in Pokemon League and the next turn...voila! I can use other Pokemon. If u don't believe me, I always use blast burn on Agatha's second Gengar, and it fainted with only one hit. Then after that, 'would u like to switch Pokemon?' I choose yes and use my Dewgong to battle Haunter (its sheer cold is one of my fav moves), and the dialogue box always says 'Charizard, good! Go, Dewgong!' The same with hyper beam...u must try it sometimes! It helps to defeat the league easier.

About battling electric Pokemon, I always switch Pokemon with rock-type or ground-type. I dun usually use Charizard to battle electric Pokemon...except Magnemite or Magneton. I always change my party everytime I move to different town...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Well, continue your own style as you wish. We are only offering suggestions that will make you better. That is the problem with the in-game AI. It teaches horrible strategy and no matter how high you level up your Pokes, the E4 remains the same. That is why the Battle Frontier in Emerald is infinitely better. Your opponent either has all Lv50 Pokes or they are all the same level of your strongest Poke, and uber Pokes are not allowed. It makes for a much even playing field.

As for battling Electric-types, with Zard's speed, you don't have to switch (the exception being Electrode). Zard will attack first and EQ will OHKO the Electric-type. That saves you from having to switch out and waste a turn. Again, better strategy.

Again, DO NOT put Normal moves on Pokes that aren't Normal-type. It doesn't help since Normal doesn't give you an advantage over any other type. It is a waste of a slot. Instead of that Normal move, you add Swords Dance to Charizard. This ups its Atk by TWO stages. Now that EQ is going to hit almost TWICE as hard as any Normal move you would teach it.

Lastly, you are able to switch out after using HB/BB is because you have the dreaded Switch option set on your cart. That is actually cheating since the game tells you what your opponent is going to use, allowing you switch out before the turn begins. Once again, the in-game teaches bad strategy. If you were to ever play a link battle with someone else, or play Netbattle online, you wouldn't have that option and therefore you would already be at a disadvantage, not to mention the fact that you wouldn't be used to your opponent predicting your moves. I can only hope that the horrible AI receives a serious upgrade in DP.

encyclopediajm said:
    how do you get the Topeige egg (i'm unsure on spelling) in the sevii islands in FR/LG ? i'm not there i had to restart my game and forgot?
    Go to Four Island, go to the Water Labyrinth, and surf west until you see an old man on an island. He will only give you the Togepi egg if your lead Poke has max Happiness. You will probably have to go to Kanto and have your Rival's sister groom your Poke a few times first.

Dragon Princess

The Dragon Mistress
    Years
    Maybe normal type has no advantages against any other type, but Return is quite good, especially if your Pokemon's level is high. I have a L100 Quilava in Pokemon Crystal and I taught it Return (the other three are fire-type moves), and I can beat Red with Quilava only. Everytime I went to Silver Cave to battle Red, I brought only 2 Pokemon: Quilava and another that can use flash.

Mm, okay, maybe listening to your suggestions can help me to build better team. I'll try it on my new Pokemon. Thankiez! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back