• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Hi Everyone. I am new to this forum and to pokemon. This question is probably about as simple as it can get, and definitely shows how new I am to Pokemon. However, that being the case and before I spend to any more money I have a question. In the games like
    "Sapphire Blue Version"
    "Leaf Green Version"
    "Fire Red Version"
    and so forth. Am I right in assuming that the games are basically the same on all in play, but with the pokemons just being diffeent? What is the differnce in them except colors?

Thanks for any help given.!!! I am really getting into pokemon on the Gameboy Advance.

game54
    Okay, a little bit of history here. 10 years ago, Nintendo came out with the first version of Pokemon (Green, Red, and Blue). Green was a Japanese version only, iirc. The game took place in what is called the Kanto region. It had a similar concept to the cartoon and that is probably what helped make it popular with the young kids, but it was also rich in the setup and the strategy. That made it appealing to even more people. They then came out with an adaptation to Red and Blue, called Yellow, where you started the game off with Pikachu instead of choosing one of the Grass/Fire/Water starters. It included a few improvements as well. This genre is commonly referred to as the "color" games, or RBY.

Years later, they came out with Gold and Silver. This new version takes place in the Johto region, which is directly west of Kanto. The basic gameplay was the exact same (pick a G/F/W starter, earn gym badges, defeat the Elite Four, catch a legendary, catch 'em all), but with some terrific improvements. It included day and night, Pokegear that included a radio and a phone that you could call characters in the game, new Pokemon (most weren't very good, but that is another topic altogether), new Pokemon types (Steel and Dark), Pokemon now could be male or female, attaching items to Pokemon, breeding Pokemon, and a second floor to the Pokemon Center where you can link battle with other people or use the Time Machine to trade Pokes with the RBY games. You could also go over to the Kanto region after defeating the Johto E4. Like Yellow, a bit later they came out with the Crystal that included improvements, including having the sprites move in battle and the ability to start as a male or female trainer. All of these features (aside from the mediocre new Pokemon) made this genre, commonly referred to as the "metal" games (or GSC), the best version to date. Diamond/Pearl may take that claim, but from what I have heard so far, there isn't much danger in that.

A few years ago, Nintendo released its third installment, called the third or "Advanced" generation of games. They were Ruby and Sapphire. This version takes place in the Hoenn region, somewhere near Johto. Once again, the premise is EXACTLY the same. There are the usual improvement on the game, such as Pokemon now have different personalities, you can have 2-on-2 battles, new attacks were added, IVs and EVs were streamlined and have a more effect on the game, a new bike was added, berries were introduced, there are Pokemon Contests and a Battle Tower, and now the PC shows a sprite of the Pokemon in a box in your PC instead of a list and you can move them to and from your party easier. Curiously though, the day/night was removed, the sprites didn't move anymore, the PokeGear was replaced with a PokeNav that wasn't as good, and overall the new Pokemon left a lot to be desired. It seemed more of a step back to me than forward, but that is my opinion.

The next year, they came out with upgrades to the original RBY games, and called them FireRed and LeafGreen. They are the EXACT same game as before, but (as if you couldn't guess) with some improvements. Like the last few versions, you can begin the game as a boy or a girl, your Pokemon can hold items, the PC shows sprites for easy manipulation, there are hidden berries all over Kanto, the TM list follows Ruby/Sapphire (not RBY), it shows items being used on Pokemon, you can breed Pokemon, and many other graphical changes. Curiously though, still no moving sprites. There is also a new section of Kanto that will open up after you defeat Blaine at Cinnabar Island. They are called the Sevii Islands. There are seven islands (hence Sevii, the vii being roman numeral seven) here that you can continue your quest on and there you are able to capture some of the Johto Pokemon. You were supposed to have the ability to catch the others in Altering Cave, but that included the eReader which flopped, so it was taken out. They also introduced the Wireless Adapter so you no longer had to use the link cable to trade/battle others. They introduced games that you can play using it, as well as crushing berries. Unfortunately, you couldn't use them on Ruby/Sapphire. Overall, it was a nice addition and brought back a bit of nostalgia. This version is included in the "Advanced" generation and is referred to as FRLG.

The next year, Nintendo followed the trend of Yellow and Crystal and introduced Emerald. It is an upgrade to the Ruby/Sapphire games. The first thing you will notice is that the sprites move again. You can also use the Wireless Adapter so you can trade/battle with FRLG. With that they introduced blending berries into PokeBlocks that help you catch certain Pokes in the Safari Zone and helps you evolve one Poke too. They added a section to the Safari Zone that allows you to catch Johto Pokemon that you weren't able to previously. They made the battles a bit more challenging. They also added the ability to catch all three legendaries instead of just two. They replaced the Battle Tower with Battle Frontier. It is a place with seven different areas that you can battle in after you defeat the E4. It also improved the breeding process to make it easier and more advantageous. Overall, this is the best version out there. The Battle Frontier alone gives you enough to be able to keep the game interesting, without having to reset to go through the exact same storyline, as you had to do with the other games.

So, you have RBY, GSC, FRLG, and RSE. They have already released yet another installment in Japan, called Diamond/Pearl. I had hoped they would at least change things up a little and add some kind of difficulty level since there are quite a few people above the age of ten that enjoy playing it. Sadly, from what I have read, it is no different in terms of play. Not only that, but now you can only play it on a DS system, so if you don't have one you are going to have to shell out the dough to get one. The premise, as always, is boringly the same. There are new Pokemon and the Day/Night has returned. Other than that though, it is merely a more expensive version of Emerald. I am definitely going to wait to see if I want to get this one or not.

Anyway, I hope that helps get you up to speed on what is different between the games. Good luck!

How would i know if i got a shiney charmander as a starter?
    Would it come up when you click the pokeball would it come up with a shiney pokemon or what?
    Plz help me
    Personally, I haven't wasted time attempting to get a Poke of a different color (you have 1:8192 chance to get a shiny, iirc), but I believe when you battle Gary and your Poke pops out of its ball, you will see animation involving stars come out above it, if you cannot tell (like me) that it is a different color. Apparently I do have a shiny Kyogre (I kept resetting to get a good Nature and IVs), but it took my son to point it out to me and frankly I don't care. I still don't use it. LOL

justokre

Open your eyes.
    Years
    I was playing my Leaf Green game, and getting a bit tired of the same old pokemon. So I used codebreaker to catch a lv 3 Torchic, and then I was training it by fighting Bulbasaurs.
    But now, whenever my Torchic starts to evolve, it just shows a "...?" screen and stops.
    Any ideas why, and how I can fix it?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Don't forget that you have to have defeated the Weak5 AND have the National Pokedex in order to continue your quest. The Rocket grunts won't move in Mt. Ember and Lostelle's father doesn't know his daughter is missing until you accomplish those two things.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    okay i have a couple of questions....
    i just beat Brock, and i want to level up my pokemon, when will they stop obeying me???
    any one know a way to get unlimited of a certain item???
    do they sell all the stones at a certain shop???
    how do you check how much your pokemon like you???

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    okay i have a couple of questions....
    i just beat Brock, and i want to level up my pokemon, when will they stop obeying me???
    any one know a way to get unlimited of a certain item???
    do they sell all the stones at a certain shop???
    how do you check how much your pokemon like you???
    1. If the Pokes in question are YOURS (they have your TrainerID), they will never stop obeying you. If you traded them in from a different cart, then they will stop obeying you once they hit Lv15. Every other badge will increase the level traded Pokes will obey you:

Cascadebadge (Misty) - Pokes up to Lv30 will obey.
    Rainbowbadge (Erika) - Pokes up to Lv50 will obey.
    Marshbadge (Sabrina) - Pokes up to Lv70 will obey.
    Earthbadge (Giovanni) - ALL Pokes will obey.

2. The only way to get unlimited amount of an item is to cheat, and no one likes a cheater.

3. Most of the elemental stones can be bought at the Celadon Department Store. Fire, Leaf, Thunder, and Water Stones are $2100 each on the fourth floor.

4. Once you defeat the E4 and have the National Pokedex, Daisy (Gary's sister) will groom your lead Pokemon once a day and then will tell you how happy your Pokemon is.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    thanks, now one more question....
    when can i breed pokemon, and is it possible to get a pokemon that isnt in the fire red/leaf green pokedex, before you beat the elite 4???

and thanks i had no idea that if the pokemon were yours that is how it worked!!! COOL!!!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    thanks, now one more question....
    when can i breed pokemon, and is it possible to get a pokemon that isnt in the fire red/leaf green pokedex, before you beat the elite 4???

and thanks i had no idea that if the pokemon were yours that is how it worked!!! COOL!!!!
    You cannot breed until you reach Four Island, which is after you have defeated the Weak5 and have received the National Pokedex from Prof. Oak.

You cannot trade ANY non-Kanto Pokemon to FRLG until you have helped Celio get the Network Machine up and running on One Island. This requires getting the Ruby gem from Mt. Ember on One Island and the Sapphire gem on Six Island, both of which cannot be accomplished until you have defeated the W5 and have the NP. Now, I know for a fact that you can trade non-Hoenn Pokes from Colosseum to Emerald at the beginning of the game there, but I have never tried it with FRLG. Hmmmm. I will have to test that.

Kiyoshikane

Get with the program mai boy~
    Years
    I was playing my Leaf Green game, and getting a bit tired of the same old pokemon. So I used codebreaker to catch a lv 3 Torchic, and then I was training it by fighting Bulbasaurs.
    But now, whenever my Torchic starts to evolve, it just shows a "...?" screen and stops.
    Any ideas why, and how I can fix it?

No one shall answer :D

Anyways, you used Codebreaker, and that is bad, because you don't have the National PokeDex, therefore you cannot evolve your Pokemon, or else it would turn into some Missingno or something :(

The only way to fix it is to use the Codebreaker and get a National Pokedex, or just restart. :(

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    if i want to get a crobat, which only evolves from golbat being happy with you. is there a way i can do that before the elite four???

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Yes. You cannot have Johto Pokes until you have the National Pokedex. The requirement for the National Pokedex is to have 70 different species of Pokemon. Once you do, go visit my esteemed colleague Prof. Oak and he will give the NP to you.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    no badge requirement?? so if i was a cheater and got 70 pokemon when i still had my first badge, i could get the national one???

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Nope. I am incorrect. After going through my info again, Johto and Hoenn Pokes (basically any Poke over #151) are not allowed in FRLG until you have defeated the Weak5 and have the National Pokedex.

My apologies. I was confusing that with the Legendary "Dog". Once you have 70 different species on your Pokedex and you get the NP from Prof. Oak, that is when your puppy begins to roam the region.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    thanks, o well!!! do you play pokemon to have all pokemon or just to beat it??

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I play the game to breed a good team to battle against my sons. I have already completed the Pokedex and the in-game is incredibly boring and monotonous to me. The AI is geared towards little kids and apparently always will be. I even recently ran through my LeafGreen again using Squirtle and the first 5 types that I encountered (Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie, Pikachu, and Mankey). I then put a restriction that I couldn't level up any of my Pokes higher the than Poke the next gym leader had, I couldn't use items during battles, and I made sure to turn off the Shift option (which I always do). I even went into the Weak5 with all my Pokes at Lv49 hoping for a challenge. I couldn't use items during battle and I couldn't save the game at any point. I still was able to win on the first try. Butterfree's Compoundeyes with Sleep Powder was key. Too bad it is a piece of crap when you battle someone that will actually switch out and doesn't base its moves on a mathematical calculation. I have been thinking about doing it again and this time adding a restriction that I can only use moves that the Pokes learn naturally, meaning no TMs/HMs whatsoever.

No, I usually reset my games (FRLG/RS) and run through them and then trade the items and such to my Emerald version. In Emerald I spend most of the time breeding Pokes for proper natures and good IVs. I was really hoping that Diamond/Pearl would bring something more challenging, like a difficulty setting (I had such high hopes with how the Battle Frontier actually was a step in the right direction), but nope. From what I read it is Emerald Reloaded for the DS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    is it pointless for me to get a zubat and try to get his happiness up if i cant get a golbat till WAY later???

Law07

<--Kaboom-->
    Years
    I play the game to breed a good team to battle against my sons. I have already completed the Pokedex and the in-game is incredibly boring and monotonous to me. The AI is geared towards little kids and apparently always will be. I even recently ran through my LeafGreen again using Squirtle and the first 5 types that I encountered (Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie, Pikachu, and Mankey). I then put a restriction that I couldn't level up any of my Pokes higher the than Poke the next gym leader had, I couldn't use items during battles, and I made sure to turn off the Shift option (which I always do). I even went into the Weak5 with all my Pokes at Lv49 hoping for a challenge. I couldn't use items during battle and I couldn't save the game at any point. I still was able to win on the first try. Butterfree's Compoundeyes with Sleep Powder was key. Too bad it is a piece of crap when you battle someone that will actually switch out and doesn't base its moves on a mathematical calculation. I have been thinking about doing it again and this time adding a restriction that I can only use moves that the Pokes learn naturally, meaning no TMs/HMs whatsoever.

No, I usually reset my games (FRLG/RS) and run through them and then trade the items and such to my Emerald version. In Emerald I spend most of the time breeding Pokes for proper natures and good IVs. I was really hoping that Diamond/Pearl would bring something more challenging, like a difficulty setting (I had such high hopes with how the Battle Frontier actually was a step in the right direction), but nope. From what I read it is Emerald Reloaded for the DS.

Wow you must be amazing.

I'm 14 and yes the E4 or the "Weak4" maybe a little bit unchallenging I find the Battle Frontier deadly! With Tyranitar, Typhlosion and Feraligatr!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back