• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sinking ship, women and children first, agree/disagree?

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I just got done watching Titanic and was curious how you feel about the women and children first rule? Obviously boats today usually have enough for everyone but in a theoretical scenario where there wasn't would you be okay with women and children first?

I certainly wouldn't want men to die, but I think at the very least women with children should go first.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Entire families should go first, it's kind of messed up to say, "Well, Johnny, when the boat was singing they only let me and you on the lifeboat even though there was room for your daddy and we both saw him drown! YAY!"

After families, fend for yourself regardless of sex.

Zet

Years
  • Anyone who knows how to swim wouldn't need a boat... unless it's shark infested water, then families first, then couples and singles.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Pretty much what Zet said.

Also why those who don't know how to swim should always go first in my opinion.

Years
  • I never got that either, in the times of women and children first men did most of th hard laybor. So what happens when all the men are dead and its just women and children? everyone's gonna be screwed. Go with zets idea ^-^ its much better xD

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • Anyone who knows how to swim wouldn't need a boat... unless it's shark infested water, then families first, then couples and singles.

You're forgetting about frostbite and hypothermia. There's a reason why most people prefer lifeboats to just jumping in the ocean. If a sinking ship were that easy to resolve, people would be having a grand ol' time diving into the ocean during an emergency.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ladies first, and the fruits of their hard labor as well. ...Why singles last btw? Then we don't have a chance to ever get someone! Rude. </3

This is why I'm never going on an cruize a cruise.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Children, then their family, then... well, I don't know. That's a difficult question. I'd want to save them all but alas. ;_;

I'll just swoop in with a Pidgeot and carry them all to safety. o/

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Children first, then the Ladies, (If that Lady has a young child (1-5) then she may go with the children. (6-16) <: Men can go last. >:

Years
  • You all say this in theoretical terms, but if you were in that situation, would you let someone go before you knowing that your life could end?

It all depends on the location that the ship is, but it will normally be in the middle of no where I guess. I would like to think I would let women and children go first, but in that situation, I can't honestly say.​

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    You all say this in theoretical terms, but if you were in that situation, would you let someone go before you knowing that your life could end?​

Yup. Sounds sort of simple of me, but I would.

In general, kids and their parents/caretakers first. After that... well, I hate to say free-for-all, but I see no reason to differentiate after the children are taken care of.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    First come, first serve, that's what I think.

And I don't think they put women and children first in these situations anymore. That was back in the dark ages.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You're forgetting about frostbite and hypothermia. There's a reason why most people prefer lifeboats to just jumping in the ocean. If a sinking ship were that easy to resolve, people would be having a grand ol' time diving into the ocean during an emergency.

That and... do you guys know how powerful/big the waves are in the middle of the sea? Chances of drowning are always high no matter how good a swimmer you are.

On topic; I'd save myself first, thanks.

Years
  • Children first. Anyone who doesn't seem like they could even stay afloat for a minute should go first. Like people who are injured. Parents, well, if they can swim then people who can't should go before them. Yeah, they have kids, but that doesn't mean they get to take spaces other people might need more.

And I would let other people go ahead of me. I don't think I'd want to be the last person to leave since that's what the captain or whoever is supposed to do, but I don't think I'd push people aside to save myself.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Ugh, children get all the breaks. It's alllllways about the children.

I say people who can't swim first, then the rest. I can't say I'd be able to put others before myself in that situation, but then again I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself afterwards if I knew I'd let people die to save myself.

Sydian said:
    Why singles last btw? Then we don't have a chance to ever get someone! Rude. </3
    LOL.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • How exactly would you determine if someone could swim? I'd just lie and say I couldn't.

The only real way to find the truth would be to wait until after the boat sinks to pick the people, but that'd defeat the purpose a bit.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • How exactly would you determine if someone could swim? I'd just lie and say I couldn't.

This is a fair point, now that I think about it. So would I... so would everyone, probably. I just know that as a man, I would rather not be left to die because I'm over 18 and have a penis. That doesn't seem like fair criteria. If I were in that situation under the women-and-children-first rule, I'd just pretend to be 17 to see if that would earn me a spot.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I think children should go first because they have more life they can live. But about the women before men, men usually work while women would be without a man to work. But I think Families then whoever.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Women have forfeited any notion of unconditional protection afforded to them by men since pressing for equal rights, as far as I'm concerned... Unless of course one happens to be a traditional sort of lady, but there's no time to make such assessments given the scenario. My point is that it would be incredibly unconducive for either sex to be given preference after the changes in our society and culture since the Titanic disaster.

While I don't advocate such, I find children going first to be reasonable in that they have more life ahead of them.

Last edited:

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    Despite women gaining more rights, I still feel like they should be the first ones on the boats along with children. As well as men who have a child without any women on board or back home to take care of the child. Looking at it from the point of view of the captain, I couldn't live with myself orphaning a child.

Luckily I'll probably never be a captain and if I was I'd make sure my boat had enough lifeboats for everyone.

Back