• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sit on my stone, you'll become stronger!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    What do you feel about evolutionary stones? Do you feel it's right to give them an alternate evolutionary method?
    How would you explain the manner in which Pokémon evolve through them?

Fire away!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Evolutionary stones are just there to make evolution easier (or harder?) to achieve. Like a permanent placeholder, if such a thing exists. It's simplistic at best, but I'd really like it if they, not replacing evolutionary methods, but developed a new way to use (or in this case, create) these, imo. Maybe through something like alchemy, perhaps? :p. Having to mix ingredients to create the finishing product, a stone capable of evolution.

I think that it's in the stone having some sort of futuristic property to them, a way of stimulating DNA evolution. The stone, coming in contact with the body, forces the genes in the Pokemon to mutate and evolve, giving them new strengths and appearances.

ViperSpeeds

Espada
    Years
  • If there were only 1 evolutionary method, simply just by leveling up, it would get boring/dull pretty quickly. So having alternate methods, keeps the game (or show) interesting.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I don't think it's alternate, I think there's a certain science behind it. I think of stones as an enzyme that speed up the evolution in process in Pokemon that otherwise would take hundreds of years to evolve. In speeding this process up, the Pokemon evolve immediately, instead of waiting and dieing out before being able to evolve otherwise. That's my theory, at least. Maybe these Pokemon's evolution cortex's (just a silly placeholder name) aren't even activated by leveling up or aren't effected until a stone reacts with it. :P

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I have always loved the idea of evolutionary stones; how when a certain stone touches the right Pokemon, it triggers evolution. I actually think it's the most creative method of evolving. I get so excited whenever I find an elemental stone.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really like that they have an alternative way to evolve Pokémon, because constantly have to level-up would have gotten tiring for some people. Not all Pokémon have stone-based evolution, but still; few do, and that should be enough. d: As for how they work, I'm not really sure… maybe they cause some reaction to the Pokémon's body and mind and increase their power, resulting in an evolution?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think it's got to do with Aura. Some pokémon have the ability to trigger a state of evolution when in contact with stones imbued with Aura of one kind of another. Just as Aura might build up as a pokémon trains and gain experience or new moves, it can change the very physical attributes of a pokémon. That's just my theory though, since it simplifies things :p It's not easy to take things like enzymes and traditional concepts of "evolution" into the same discussion as pokémon, as they obviously don't make 100% sense when taken out from the games.

This is a question that's been bothering me for a while. I finally decided that Pokemon originated from the Time Lords of Gallifrey, and that you basically kill the Pokemon to make it regenerate.

Years
  • sometimes they are so annoying to get >_> but other then that i dont mind them
    and explaining the evolution i dunno how does evolution make sense in general :p but i guess the stone gives a big infleunce of the element of the stone that makes the pokemon addapt to it

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • sometimes they are so annoying to get >_> but other then that i dont mind them
    and explaining the evolution i dunno how does evolution make sense in general :p but i guess the stone gives a big infleunce of the element of the stone that makes the pokemon addapt to it

I literally have no idea what you just said. Can someone translate?

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Actually, reading the description of the evolution stones tells you that they let off radiation, at least somewhat. Taking that into account, it seems as though they cause something more akin to mutation than evolution, so basically you're giving your precious little eevee electric cancer so that it'll shoot lightning.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Taking that into account, it seems as though they cause something more akin to mutation than evolution, so basically you're giving your precious little eevee electric cancer so that it'll shoot lightning.

I lol'd. :D

Also, I find that claiming it to be entirely radiation may not be completely true. Afterall, the stone becomes useless once a Pokemon has used it. So my belief is that the Pokemon just absorbs the mystical properties imbued in the stone - the element, if you will. This element then becomes a part of them, powering them up and enhancing their abilities. And through radiation, mutates their appearance and/or typing into what we know them as now. Since the element was taken from the stone, it can no longer be used.

Can't use what ain't there. :P

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Perhaps the pokemon's touch causes the stone's radioactive decay to speed up exponentially. This explains not only why the stones become useless after use, and why there's no stone at all left afterwards, its been completely decayed and it atoms somehow infused with the pokemon's DNA. A pokemon requires a somewhat unstable DNA pattern, or in eevee's case, very unstable, to have a stone mutate it, because the stone can only infiltrate DNA with flaws. Of course, since not all pokemon evolve with multiple stones, this can lead to the assumption that each stone is made of a different element, and thus that each pokemon requires a different element to mutate fully. That may mean that not all pokemon are carbon based (My bet's on moonstone is silicon and sunstone being hydrogen or sulfur).

Also, this thread's title reminds me of the Adventure Time episode where Jake sits on a magic pearl to cure his "lumpiness."

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I suppose that could be true as far as the games go, definitely.

But anytime we've seen a stone be used in the anime, it didn't disappear. It just became a useless rock after the Pokemon was done with it, essentially. Still looked the same as it did before use too.

That's a little weird, huh? You would think that for stones like the Fire, Thunder, and Water ones, the elemental appearance in the middle would vanish after use.

Animation is expensive, I guess?

Years
  • If all Pokemon evolved by leveling up, the game would be a lot less challenging. It's difficult to find stones, especially if they aren't of the original few that have existed since the Kanto days. Makes finally finding one and evolving your Pokemon a much more satisfactory accomplishment. As for the process behind it, it could simply be a supplement that only effects Pokemon with compatible genes, and speeds up their growth rate.

Back