• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Skates of Rage: Anyone else a little annoyed with the skates? :P

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Hey peeps!

I absolutely adore my Pokémon X and the freedom I have being able to move in more than 4 directions at any one time but there is just one niggle that's been eating away at me from this otherwise perfect game... the roller-skates!!

Don't get me wrong, I love free wheeling around, grinding the rails and breaking road safety rules by not wearing any head protection (okay, maybe not the last one), but by assigning the skates to the stick they've made it the default method of travel meaning you end up moving too fast around town or missing people you want to speak to.

Anyone else find this?

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Skates are very annoying, especially in Lumiose City. I prefered walking with the Dowsing Machine during the story, because it allowed me to walk using the circle pad and find free items at the same time. When I started breeding, I found out the bicyle is still pretty neat too.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I prefered walking with the Dowsing Machine during the story, because it allowed me to walk using the circle pad and find free items at the same time.

That's exactly what I do, I know it's a big ask, but I wouldn't mind Gamefreak adding in an option to swap the skates to the dpad in a future update.

And I love the bike when breeding, the bicycle song is pretty catchy too!

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • I felt the same way at first, but then I forced myself to simply walk and run and was so infuriated with the pace of it that my opinion did a 180.

I like the skates, they make travel easier :P

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I like the skates, they make travel easier :P

Lol, well I can't ban you from pokémon... :P

I get what you mean though, I guess skates are really there for speed players. Still would have liked an option to swap the skates to the dpad though!

EDIT: Love the Final Fantasy Tactics reference BTW, didn't realise until after I'd first posted!

Last edited:

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • They should have an option to remove them/turn them off like the Exp. Share.

They are great for travelling around towns quickly, and I do like doing that without having to select the bike, but it gets annoying in grass or if you are trying to talk to people and such.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Definitely wish there were a way to unequip them, I'd like the option of walking with the Circle Pad instead of the D-Pad. After getting the bike too it's not really fast enough that I'd ever want to use it unless I were forced to.

P.S: OP if you were referring to Streets of Rage in your thread title you are officially awesome!

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    P.S: OP if you were referring to Streets of Rage in your thread title you are officially awesome!

Lol, thanks, really just a sign of my age though!

I don't have issues with the skates; I like them a lot, actually, though I guess it's partially due to how I dislike those who walk slow (for me) IRL.

Oh I get that too, pave-rage, the worst is when people stand in doorways to places you want to exit. Get outta the way!

It doesn't change my thoughts on skates though, you'd just get slow skaters. :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I have a hard time getting annoyed with the skates since you can always switch into bike or running shoes at places where skates are inconvenient (like the alleys). I thought it was a bit annoying that you had to use the D-pad to move with running shoes, but once I got the item finder, and registered it, it solved that issue as well.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I love using the skates, except when I'm in narrow paths and patches of tall grass. Hate 'em or love 'em, they're certainly an upgrade from the running shoes in my opinion. I do think they should have had an on/off switch similar to the Exp. Share though.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I actually find navigating around Lumiose City with it easier because I can turn to where I want to look instantly - Other than that I don't use it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    They're pace is nice, I just can't control it. I just use running.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I rarely use skates, as I find them to be very tricky. d: Only time you'll see me using them is when I'm in some sort of a rush, and need to get from one point to another as quick as possible. Wish they allowed us to modify the speed for our roller skates, though. At the moment, they're way too fast.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't have a problem with the speed, it just doesn't turn as well as I'd like it to, especially in mazes and stuff where there's a lot of tight corners. And the grass thing mentioned, it's annoying to be slowed down when you hit a patch of grass. I get that both of these things make it more realistic, I just don't like it. :P

The novelty of having skates in a Pokemon game wore off pretty quickly, and as soon as I got the bike I just registered it and rode that around whenever I could.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • My joystick is slightly broken, so when I use it I found myself going too fast, and sometimes not in the right direction...but it wasn't as annoying as I expected it to be. Would be nice if they shift the two in Z or RS remakes...

Back